2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

59 minutes ago, Morgo said:

What's lazy is a design that has yellow and white touching.  There's no contrast or definition.  The 1994 update fixed that problem without sacrificing what made the logo good.

White with a sliver of yellow touching gives it a bit of a glowing effect, to me at least.  The yellow can sort of disappear, but maybe that's not a bad thing?  I think it works on the Flames' logo.

The Ravens' purple can disappear when it's used next to black without an outline, but I think it works for them.  It mimics the subtle highlights of the real bird.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I just read an article about how the blackhawks should change their logo to an actual black hawk bird because it would be "culturally appropriate." I really can't see how the current logo would be inappropriate in any ways, it's the profile of an Indian chief if an accurate and I'd say dignified representation is now considered offensive I don't know what in inoffensive anymore. 

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

So I just read an article about how the blackhawks should change their logo to an actual black hawk bird because it would be "culturally appropriate." I really can't see how the current logo would be inappropriate in any ways, it's the profile of an Indian chief if an accurate and I'd say dignified representation is now considered offensive I don't know what in inoffensive anymore. 

Look at the Halloween costume guidelines for an idea of what would stand up today.

Halloween.jpg

B1NVTNACYAAt4CT.jpg

"Does my costume represent a culture that is not my own" that's ridiculous, any costume is going to inherently represent a different culture than my own, I couldn't dress as a football player because that is technically a different culture than what I am. I do see the controversies with the NFL team in Washington DC and Indians logo because those are racially offensive (Indians not so much but still it can offend people) but just the mere representation of native Americans shouldn't be considered inappropriate. 

Just now, insert name said:

Doesn't the name Blackhawks come from a Native American named Black Hawk? 

Yes and the team is named after the division that fought in WW1. I don't get offended when teams decide to blaster their uniforms with camo and flags as a representation of the military which Is my culture. Sometimes I think it looks stupid but I definitely don't get offended by it. Now if they used a logo of an overly cartoonish mercinary-esque representation of a soldier I'd be offended the same way people don't like the Indians logo, or had the name idk murderers, hired guns or something then yea I would be offended like the certain NFL team in Washington.

It comes from an army unit that in turn was named after Black Hawk, who has lots of things named after him around Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

Naming a hockey team after Black Hawk turned out to anticipate the hockey culture of "we defeated you, but we still respect your effort." The Indian Head is the playoff series handshake line of logos.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, ClassicB said:

These were the best uniforms the Bruins wore. I loved the gold rim spoked B on this jersey and the black rim on the whites. These (and the whites) jersey's are "to the point". The current uniforms are too busy. Everything is tripled outlined. Hockey jersey's look so much better without shoulder yokes.

I know Jocobs is a moron when in 1995 he took what was a classic original six look and turn the Bruins into a Winnipeg Jet's looking expansion team. The current uniforms are only slightly better.

o-reilly-boston-bruins-vintage-road-blac

Ah, the electrocuted bear logo...

rrvsp8d76j6gj43jd7zwee7y6.png

I don't know if there was an issue when the logo was digitized (like LSU's chrysanthemum tiger, never use the "autotrace" function in Illustrator), but the zig-zag pattern (which makes it look like it's being electrocuted), splotches of brown, and doofy expression really do make it one of the crummiest shoulder patches in NHL history. Heck, it took them until their current branding to make a good bear logo:

h3y62vqzbcu7br7bogzk.png

With their new alternate, the Bruins have never looked better.

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It comes from an army unit that in turn was named after Black Hawk, who has lots of things named after him around Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

Naming a hockey team after Black Hawk turned out to anticipate the hockey culture of "we defeated you, but we still respect your effort." The Indian Head is the playoff series handshake line of logos.

Native American imagery has also been popular since the 18th century, because it was part of American culture that wasn't shared with the British that we had these wild savages running around.  I don't know that it's as simple as, "Well done, I say!".  I don't think there were a ton of things named after British officers from the War of 1812 or Spanish officers from the Spanish-American War.

I have just noticed something totally bugging me about the Bruins current homes... I don't know if I'm the only one noticing it but here's the thing.

The yellow socks are supposed to match the stripping patern.

Bourque_7.jpg

si70orr.jpg

They have switched colors to match the sleeve stripes of these : 

bourque_bruins_skates_with_puck.jpg

But the current uniforms :

Patrice%20Bergeron%202.0.jpg

1 hour ago, dont care said:

"Does my costume represent a culture that is not my own" that's ridiculous, any costume is going to inherently represent a different culture than my own, I couldn't dress as a football player because that is technically a different culture than what I am. 

No, no, no.  

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I do see the controversies with the NFL team in Washington DC and Indians logo because those are racially offensive (Indians not so much but still it can offend people) but just the mere representation of native Americans shouldn't be considered inappropriate. 

Yeah, it kind of should.  

At the the very least, we should tread very carefully when depicting somebody else's culture in the kind of cultural shorthand that is a sports mascot.  Especially when it's a people that our our nation has at times barely acknowledged as human and a culture our society has worked so hard to demolish. 

4 hours ago, Cosmic said:

White with a sliver of yellow touching gives it a bit of a glowing effect, to me at least.  The yellow can sort of disappear, but maybe that's not a bad thing?  I think it works on the Flames' logo.

The Ravens' purple can disappear when it's used next to black without an outline, but I think it works for them.  It mimics the subtle highlights of the real bird.

Yellow disappearing from their primary logo is certainly a bad thing... it's their secondary colour

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No, no, no.  

Yeah, it kind of should.  

At the the very least, we should tread very carefully when depicting somebody else's culture in the kind of cultural shorthand that is a sports mascot.  Especially when it's a people that our our nation has at times barely acknowledged as human and a culture our society has worked so hard to demolish. 

My problem with things. I don't care about named like the braves, or Indians, or blackhawks. The issue to me(and why it is best to avoid such things) are the war chops, headdresses, war paint and such that come along with it. That's the kind of idiocy that(i would imagine) is the most offensive and idiotic. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived