2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

The WHL Canucks also sported some jerseys with no logo, an arched team name and front numbers, ala the recent Dallas Stars jersey most of us here hated. I think the Canucks are unlikely to ever go the lumber jack Johnny Canuck logo full time, they left that gap open for the WHL Giants years ago.  

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, if they'd just used a logo featuring the Johnny Canuck design from the start (like the one used by the Western Hockey League team in the sixties), they would have always had an easily-comprehended identity. It would have saved the team so much trouble in the long-run, and it could be put in any of their color schemes. Seriously, take this guy:

whl--vancouver_canucks_1963-64.gif

Give him a bit of a clean-up, and BAM, you've got the perfect logo for the franchise. The Millionaires would be fine for a pre-1967 team, but the NHL Canucks aren't that (nor should they ever be). Also, don't repeat any of the "cartoon logos have no place in hockey" malarkey, as the Skating Penguin has proved itself to be a great logo in the long run, and both of the Johnny Canuck logo currently used by the Canucks could easily take the orca's place as the primary.

SF, you don't get an argument from me. I appreciate the simplicity and elegance of the Stick in Rink. However, Johnny Canuck should have been the Canucks' primary crest from Day 1. I love the Skate and its bold colours, but like Morgo accurately said, the original colours should have never been changed, other than the logo.

18 hours ago, Morgo said:

Unpopular opinion but I think this the perfect logo for the team.  Retains the great colour scheme, works well as a crest and says everything it needs to convey...

tznKRjl.png

It's a solid logo but it looks too much like the Vachon pastry logo...

vachon.gif

28 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

It's a solid logo but it looks too much like the Vachon pastry logo...

vachon.gif

At first, I couldn't get all the Vachon comparisons. There's always going to be some similarities between logos.

My main beef with the JC-V logo is that Johnny's head is tilted back, unlike the skating JC, whose head is level. 

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, if they'd just used a logo featuring the Johnny Canuck design from the start (like the one used by the Western Hockey League team in the sixties), they would have always had an easily-comprehended identity. It would have saved the team so much trouble in the long-run, and it could be put in any of their color schemes. Seriously, take this guy:

whl--vancouver_canucks_1963-64.gif

Give him a bit of a clean-up, and BAM, you've got the perfect logo for the franchise. The Millionaires would be fine for a pre-1967 team, but the NHL Canucks aren't that (nor should they ever be). Also, don't repeat any of the "cartoon logos have no place in hockey" malarkey, as the Skating Penguin has proved itself to be a great logo in the long run, and both of the Johnny Canuck logo currently used by the Canucks could easily take the orca's place as the primary.

It's true, the skating Penguin gets grandfathered in. looking through NHL logos, it seems that using people has a very mixed history, from being laughed out of existence to being among the best ever. It's a total crapshoot. Which side does Johnny Canuck fall on? Could they make a more serious, less campy version? Or would it be better to just use his face? Faces seem to work well...except that Kings example...like I said, total crapshoot.

New York Islanders (1996 - 1997)Los Angeles Kings (1996 - 1996)2bkf2l3xyxi5p0cavbj8.gifOttawa Senators (1993 - 1997)56.gifEdmonton Oilers (1997 - 2007)hyhk1nf6yl2e5aflm7sxagthl.gif

18 hours ago, Morgo said:

Unpopular opinion but I think this the perfect logo for the team.  Retains the great colour scheme, works well as a crest and says everything it needs to convey...

tznKRjl.png

It was already mentioned, but his looking upward never made sense to me. It looks weird, downright weird. But bigger, it looks like two separate pieces hastily stitched together. They don't flow together at all. I think the upward angle only further highlights that problem. It's a great example of how compromises make nobody happy.

The Vancouver Giants are by far the best example of a serious Johnny Canuck. This is more the direction they should go, but to for an NHL team to steal from a major junior team would be pathetic.

fzgq7dqweveodcd2gj98by2ks.gif

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

2 hours ago, hockey week said:

It's true, the skating Penguin gets grandfathered in. looking through NHL logos, it seems that using people has a very mixed history, from being laughed out of existence to being among the best ever. It's a total crapshoot. Which side does Johnny Canuck fall on? Could they make a more serious, less campy version? Or would it be better to just use his face? Faces seem to work well...except that Kings example...like I said, total crapshoot.

New York Islanders (1996 - 1997)Los Angeles Kings (1996 - 1996)2bkf2l3xyxi5p0cavbj8.gifOttawa Senators (1993 - 1997)56.gifEdmonton Oilers (1997 - 2007)hyhk1nf6yl2e5aflm7sxagthl.gif

It was already mentioned, but his looking upward never made sense to me. It looks weird, downright weird. But bigger, it looks like two separate pieces hastily stitched together. They don't flow together at all. I think the upward angle only further highlights that problem. It's a great example of how compromises make nobody happy.

The Vancouver Giants are by far the best example of a serious Johnny Canuck. This is more the direction they should go, but to for an NHL team to steal from a major junior team would be pathetic.

fzgq7dqweveodcd2gj98by2ks.gif

I actually remember reading that logo was originally designed for the Canucks but they didn't use it, so the Giants used it. More or less, if I remember correctly. 

2 hours ago, hockey week said:

Edmonton Oilers (1997 - 2007)

Man I miss this logo.  Beautifully illustrated and insanely clever.

As for the so called "Vachon" logo, yes it looks similar but there tons of similar logos out there.  The "Canuck" looking upwards never bothered me either as it's more about how the two elements fit together as whole.

On 1/30/2016 at 10:51 AM, hockey week said:

Even Johnny Canuck, which they keep flirting with, is wrought with problems and very divisive.

Johnny Canuck is a Berniebro?!?!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love Skatin' Johnny. I don't know how you couldn't. None of the criticisms against him even make sense to me. 

The V head logo looks like a pair of scissors in the process of severing his head. Not a fan.

PvO6ZWJ.png

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 1:56 PM, CreamSoda said:

Such a nice jersey.  Loved that set and think it would still look great for the Canucks now.

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 5:39 PM, Corvus said:

To put the video in context, you need to see the other "Johnny Canuck" videos that the team has done over the years. It isn't supposed to be dramatic or anything.  They'd announced a long time back that they'd be wearing these for one night. 

As for these jerseys, they're the jerseys I grew up with, but I still prefer what they wear now. Nice to see them once again, and I like them more than the Millionaire's throwback, but I'd save these for a few times a year. 

See, I always like the flying skate logo, drew it over and over again, never achieving proper rendering of the stripes :(

the one reason I was never crazy about that jersey they will use with the giant skate on the front is because it replaces my all-time favourite jersey:

The "Goldorak" (That's what me and my friends called it because of the V on the chest:

71472969.thumb.jpg.b88b1489515fbc0538863

ACH003267146_1443855627_580x580.jpg.764b

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

The flying skate is fine. It shouldn't be the full time logo, but as a throwback/third its great. Blue and green is the better colour scheme though, but the orca may just be the worst logo in the league. I'd prefer the stick in rink, but any logo other than that would be fine. My ideal scenario is that the Canucks take the current home and away striping, put the stick and rink on it, and make the black skate the third. 

What is City News, Canada bros? Is that a really unreliable news source or something? I was randomly searching "new toronto maple leafs logo" on Google today, it turned up a logo image and a jersey image from a concept I literally did like 7 or 8 years ago. imagine my surprise as i clicked in to this article and found a bunch of concepts not being cited! I'm just curious as to what this source is at this point, the concept is so awful haha, it's just weird.

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/12/14/is-it-time-for-a-leafs-makeover-vote-for-a-new-team-logo/

2 minutes ago, elliott said:

What is City News, Canada bros? Is that a really unreliable news source or something? I was randomly searching "new toronto maple leafs logo" on Google today, it turned up a logo image and a jersey image from a concept I literally did like 7 or 8 years ago. imagine my surprise as i clicked in to this article and found a bunch of concepts not being cited! I'm just curious as to what this source is at this point, the concept is so awful haha, it's just weird.

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/12/14/is-it-time-for-a-leafs-makeover-vote-for-a-new-team-logo/

Owned by Rogers, actually.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

3 hours ago, Corvus said:

Miller practicing in his throwback gear. And yes, the Canucks colour guy needs a better phone.

This makes me miss the V jersey even more...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Archived