2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

I think the Avs logo is a great design. A little outdated. But I do think it could stand the test of time, with a few minor adjustments.

I just feel like it would be terrible for them to lose the idenity they've called their own for decades, in exchange for a return to dressing up as the Colorado Rockies.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I think the Avs logo is a great design. A little outdated. But I do think it could stand the test of time, with a few minor adjustments.

I just feel like it would be terrible for them to lose the idenity they've called their own for decades, in exchange for a return to dressing up as the Colorado Rockies.

My thoughts exactly.

sig.png

I think the new logo is better and more classic. The current Avs logo is dated, and could not stand the test of time as the beautifully simple mark could. The jerseys from the championship seasons are so 90's that if they made them now, it would look even more dated. Just my opinion, obviously not a popular one

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

It's because of the damn Colorado themed merchandise.  People love anything with the Colorado C/State Flag on it.

They would simply be cashing in on a design trend in the face of a good brand identity.

Which is totally fine up to a point.

Replacing the "yeti foot" (which honestly never really fit with the rest of the brand IMHO) with the Rockies-C...sure.

Having a third jersey featuring the Rockies-C logo...fine.

But don't go all in, especially when the organization is at such a low point. There's so much equity built up in the original logo, a lot of great games, a lot of great victories. When a team is struggling as much as Colorado has these past few seasons fans need to be reminded that this is a team that has been great and can be great again. To throw that all away in favor of a design that more closely resembles that of a failed franchise (and any team that moves is a failed franchise in my view)...it frustrates me to no end.

So here's my prediction: Colorado is going to go all in on the Rockies-redux logo and jerseys. The team is going to continue to struggle on the ice, and eventually the logo and jerseys will become synonymous with mediocrity/failure (a la Pittsburgh's Robo-Penguin...but nowhere near as classy). Ownership (hopefully new ownership) will then dust off the "classic" A-logo...maybe address some of the underlying issues with the design that haven't aged well...and we'll see the return of the "classic Avs" just in time for the franchise to have a serious up-swing. Who knows...maybe we'll see a repeat of what happened in Pittsburgh with the Avs hoisting the cup in a contemporary rendition of their 96 uniforms. 

A man can dream...

Check out that thread for the logo the Avalanche should be using. 

Reasons why I hate this: 

6560_colorado_avalanche-jersey-2016.png

1. it's a complete ripoff. A ripoff of a failed team at that so it doesn't even have winning associated with it. Sorry, but I can't get behind out and out copying of a logo no matter how good the original was. (the original wasn't that good) You know what does have winning associated with it? Their current logo. 

2. It's supposed to be in the Colorado state flag C, but in those colors that doesn't read right away and the actual state flag doesn't have the inner circle outlined like that. The yellow butts right up against the red. It's also yellow because it symbolizes gold. IDK what a navy blue dot means. If it was black then they could say it was a puck. 

3. I hate the visually jarring intersection points where the C meets the triangle. It feels jammed in there, uncomfortable, cramped, claustrophobic. Those whole spaces vibrate in my eyes. I don't like it. The old one had some space for the C to breathe a little bit. Either Shrink the C like the original. Might as well since you're already shamelessly knocking it off, or grow it about 20% so it overlaps the triangle. 

4. There's no visual hierarchy. The triangle and C compete for attention. It looks like two different elements dropped on top of one another because that's what it is. 

5. Burgundy, navy blue, silver, and white have been my dream colors for the Avs for over a decade. This isn't the right way to use them. 

The A logo isn't perfect by any means and it's a little dated, but being dated isn't a bad thing and it tells you everything you need to know right then and there. It could be cleaned up, lose the oval behind it and simplify some of the lines and they're good. Instead they're throwing the baby out with the bathwater and then bringing in older bathwater that belongs to another baby. 

You know what other logo is dated? The original Rockies logo. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:

If only the people in Colorado would realize how awful and bland that logo is.  Too bad they are eating it up.  Hats, jerseys, shirts, you name it.

Where are they finding the hats, I've been looking for one since the logo was unveiled!

5 hours ago, Toronto206 said:

I think the new logo is better and more classic. The current Avs logo is dated, and could not stand the test of time as the beautifully simple mark could. The jerseys from the championship seasons are so 90's that if they made them now, it would look even more dated. Just my opinion, obviously not a popular one

lets get rid of a logo from the 90's that looks a little dated to bring in a logo from the 70's that's flatter than a cheese pizza, nice. 

I usually can accept if a franchise makes changes to a championship logo/uniform set, if it's for the better of the team's aesthetics.

However, the Avs going back to being the Colorado Rockies is not a change I would approve. They should look foward not back, if they want to be modernized. Not base their primary logo on a forgone franchise from the 70s.

The Avs were established in 1995.

I seriously don't understand even slightly why the Mountain C logo or the alternate is liked in any capacity. So bland and generic. Only thing that's nice about either is the shade of blue. Sure the Current logo is slightly outdated, but it's still a great logo. A simple modernizing would suffice. Buuuuuuuut noooooooooooooo. There must be some correlation betwwen high altitude and poor taste.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Colorado merchandise is hot because everyone's moving to Denver and they let you buy weed. Getting in on the trend isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, but the Avs did so poorly because the Avs are a neglected subsidiary of another neglected subsidiary and no one cares about anything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I will admit, the third jersey design itself is something to be desired. I like the white yokes, and the large size is unique to them. Something based off that third jersey, will being unique, would be best- those jerseys imo just happen to be their best. But I stand with the new logo, as it is one of my favorites in the league. A very unpopular opinion, but I'm just excited for the thirds to become home and roads. One thing I'm confused on is why people admire the original jersey's design: when I think of an avalanche, I think of downward, rushing motion, which the current primary logo poorly captures. But the jerseys replicate the angular design of mountaintops, and do not reflect the flowing, curving design of the logo on the front. From the way I see it, the new logo would be a better fit with the original design because they both reflects mountains. Just one thing I noticed.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Colorado merchandise is hot because everyone's moving to Denver and they let you buy weed. Getting in on the trend isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, but the Avs did so poorly because the Avs are a neglected subsidiary of another neglected subsidiary and no one cares about anything.

You don't have to live in Colorado to buy weed ?

Archived