2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Am i the only one who thinks the Avs current logo is one the best in the league? Would be a real shame if the took it off and replace it with such a boring logo

It's absolutely a great logo. It's a 90s design, but a very good 90s design. There's a reason why it's still being used, even after 2 decades.

It just needs a tweak or two. A few simplifications of all the curves and outlines then it would be cleaned and freshened up.

I don't even think it needs to be tweaked.  For a so called '90's logo' it's pretty restrained and the fact it has stayed around this long seems to disprove the notion that it can't stand the test of time.  It's been around only 4 years less than the Sabres original blue and gold look and it actually has championships attached to it.

They should leave the logo as is and adopt a respectable uniform template.  Banish the bib-atrocity and remind people of the teams winning history.  They could even use the mountain striping as the basis for something more traditional, like the stadium-series uniform hinted at.  I can respect that the logo isn't for everyone, but ditching it after 21 years is a mistake on par with what the Sabres did in 1996.  Especially when you factor in the championships.

Yeah, I don't think the Avs logo looks too "90s."  I still don't love it.  I would prefer a similar design with a "C," i.e., the place name (ignore my love for the North Stars "N-Star" logo), if it could be well-executed.  Still, they have to be careful with the idea of making a change. It's 20 years old and has seen two cups.  Dumping it will be a jolt to some of their fan base.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 2/27/2017 at 9:07 PM, Morgo said:

In this case it is.  Whether you care for the design or not is irrelevant.  This is the Colorado Avalanche identity...

ryQqvOa.jpg

cAUxVl0.jpg

The Avs' banners are a mess.  The Stanley Cup banners are two different grays (always have been) plus the years are different fonts.  Sloppy.  

The fonts for the names and numbers for retired players aren't the actual font the team uses (close, but several differences on the numbers, and the font for the names is a joke).  I think Adam Foote's retired number is better than the other four, but it's still obvious that no one gave a damn about attention to detail.

Take a look at the kerning of Foote's numbers compared to Bourque and the others, and then notice how the outlines on Foote's numbers is way thicker than the other four.

52_Avalanche_5.0.jpg

Of course, this is a team that can't even hang all the banners at the same height....

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

23 hours ago, Morgo said:

For a so called '90's logo'...

So-called? It's literally a 90s logo.

Whether or not that dates it is up to personal opinion, but it's a logo from the 90s with very 90s-esque design cues. 

23 hours ago, Morgo said:

I can respect that the logo isn't for everyone...

Well that's really what it boils down to. I just don't like it. I prefer the current alternate/soon to be primary. It's a simple matter of aesthetic preference. 

20 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

So-called? It's literally a 90s logo.

Whether or not that dates it is up to personal opinion, but it's a logo from the 90s with very 90s-esque design cues.

What I meant was that although logo was created in the 90's, it hardly resembles the cartoonish, over-the-top nature of the mascot logos that were in vogue at the time (Kachina Coyotes, Fisherman, Thrashers, etc) and that's why it has stuck around.  It's a three layer 'A' with an avalanche rushing down it and not much different in execution to what the Flames use now.  The liberal use of lines is necessary to convey the speed of the teams namesake, something the alternate logo can't even be bothered to attempt.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No, it's just a cartoonish, over-the-top nature logo.  

I guess illustrating a teams namesake is too over-the-top for today's NHL.  I can see why they are going with a triangle instead.

Just luckier enough not to have been replaced

The Rockies-Trace will be lucky to last half as long...  2 seasons of use and already it's being tweaked.  Not a great record for a so called "timeless mark."

Jcfp8LJ.jpg

I'm gonna add my two cents to this whole Avalanche logo/jersey conversation because truth is, their current uniforms suck. To be honest, I have never seen an Avalanche jersey where I have had a "That's awesome" reaction to seeing. The only Avs' jersey I have found to be slightly decent was their light blue alternate. I'm not a fan of their original jerseys. As for their logo, I think it's decent, and it does have a winning history. I agree with the people that hate their alternate logo. I think it sucks too. In my opinion, they should either go back to the original Rockies logo or leave their logo alone. I also think their third, though better than their home and away jerseys sucks too. Sorry, I hate it. No waist striping, over-sized shoulder yoke and a state flag shoulder patch. Also, on their third, the burgundy does not stand out. As for their colors, I don't like their color scheme at all. If Colorado switches to their third full-time, they should replace the logo on it with their main logo. That would be better. I would like to see the Avalanche just start over with their uniforms. I would rather they keep their logo over this new Rockies-inspired logo on their alternate. I uploaded my profile picture because I slightly tweaked the old Rockies logo, and I'm curious to hear what you guys would think of the idea of the Avs' going to a slightly tweaked Rockies logo, that is if they would actually be allowed to use it. I love that old logo but damn, I would just be happy to see the Avs' get new uniforms. In fact, when the Avs' finally get new uniforms, I want the main post on this site to say "Chewbacca, you can finally change your profile picture."  

Rockies.png

26 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm gonna add my two cents to this whole Avalanche logo/jersey conversation because truth is, their current uniforms suck. To be honest, I have never seen an Avalanche jersey where I have had a "That's awesome" reaction to seeing. The only Avs' jersey I have found to be slightly decent was their light blue alternate. I'm not a fan of their original jerseys. As for their logo, I think it's decent, and it does have a winning history. I agree with the people that hate their alternate logo. I think it sucks too. In my opinion, they should either go back to the original Rockies logo or leave their logo alone. I also think their third, though better than their home and away jerseys sucks too. Sorry, I hate it. No waist striping, over-sized shoulder yoke and a state flag shoulder patch. Also, on their third, the burgundy does not stand out. As for their colors, I don't like their color scheme at all. If Colorado switches to their third full-time, they should replace the logo on it with their main logo. That would be better. I would like to see the Avalanche just start over with their uniforms. I would rather they keep their logo over this new Rockies-inspired logo on their alternate. I uploaded my profile picture because I slightly tweaked the old Rockies logo, and I'm curious to hear what you guys would think of the idea of the Avs' going to a slightly tweaked Rockies logo, that is if they would actually be allowed to use it. I love that old logo but damn, I would just be happy to see the Avs' get new uniforms. In fact, when the Avs' finally get new uniforms, I want the main post on this site to say "Chewbacca, you can finally change your profile picture."  

Rockies.png

Personal nitpick...you realize it's not Avs', right?  No need for the apostrophe.  Apostrophes like that make it possessive.  Just Avs.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 3/2/2017 at 4:49 PM, Corvus said:

Noticed some Canucks third jerseys for 50% off today in a local store. With the elimination of 3rd jerseys next year could be some deals to be had. 

The Canucks also haven't worn their thirds over the past couple of weekends with all those games being at home. They almost always wear the Stick In Rink  at home on weekends, so maybe, something is up? 

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

I guess illustrating a teams namesake is too over-the-top for today's NHL.  I can see why they are going with a triangle instead.

The Rockies-Trace will be lucky to last half as long...  2 seasons of use and already it's being tweaked.  Not a great record for a so called "timeless mark."

Jcfp8LJ.jpg

We see inconsitencies in logos in non-marquee team events, games, or major merchandise. This was for a kid's game, yeah the Avs were a part of if but that's a cheap t-shirt. These inconsitencies are very common, just look at other topics on the boards

Archived