2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

That's been my assessment of the triangle logo since the beginning. It's way too close to the Rockies logo which is itself a dated logo. I'm sorry I can't get behind a blatant ripoff of a previous logo, a logo that belongs to a different franchise, a franchise so irrelevant and forgotten that the city's MLB expansion team had no qualms about giving the name a go just 11 years later.

My point was that if you're going to used "dated" negatively to describe the A logo then you have to apply the same consideration to the triangle. If it's a modern execution of the Rockies concept, well I don't agree. I think it's a modern appropriation of a logo that doesn't belong to them. It would be like if the Seattle Mariners came out with a retrace of the Seattle Pilots logo. 

Plus I think the general shape looks goofy on the front of a bunch of players wearing it. That is obviously subjective, however. 

Most logos in sports don't have anything instantly apparent that represents the team's location. 

I'm not understanding this. What about it doesn't look like an avalanche? The snow, the motion lines, the fact that it's flowing downhill? It looks more like an avalanche than the avalanche depicted on that triangular avalanche warning sign. I knew the second it was revealed in SI for Kids what I was looking at and I was a child. 

Credit to them for not coming out with an anthropomorphic mountain with an angry face. or this

Avalance_004.jpg

I would not have defended this. :P

That’s my point. You’re applying a completely different criterium and definition of “dated” to this thing than the one everyone else is applying to the A logo. It’s not an analogous comparison when you do that.

As for the logo, well, for one, it looks like ice, not snow, and the signature form of an avalanche is the cloud that billows as it falls.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s my point. You’re applying a completely different criterium and definition of “dated” to this thing than the one everyone else is applying to the A logo. It’s not an analogous comparison.

"It's dated!" when levied against the A logo by the same people praising a logo that is a ripoff of a dated logo from the 70's makes no sense. 

3 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

As for the logo, well, for one, it looks like ice, not snow, and the sognature form of an avalanche is the cloud that forms as it falls.

It reads as an avalanche. I don't know how that can be argued. Penguins don't wear scarves or ice skates. Also hockey is played on ice.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There's a hockey puck in snow (OR ICE) coming down a mountain and it kind of makes an A. Anyone who can't arrive at "this must be a hockey team named the Avalanche" is a simpleton.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

That's for the 10th anniversary of the Stanley Cup win, which they are celebrating this weekend.

I'm not sure how you're getting "not promoting the third jersey" out of this (which I believe they won't anyways).

For some reason I read that unveiling as a logo for next season (which still wouldn't make sense). My b. Sadly I don't trust the Ducks organization to make the right decision either.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I'm sorry I can't get behind a blatant ripoff of a previous logo, a logo that belongs to a different franchise

It's no good arguing that a team cannot use the former logo of a different franchise, considering that the Mets use the Giants' old logo, the Brewers formerly used the Braves' old logo, and the Nationals use the Senators' old logo. And, for honourable mention, the Dodgers use a logo that is almost exactly that of the L.A. Angels of the PCL.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

11 hours ago, Yippy said:

All I'm saying is the Capitals made a workmark logo work (see image) I think it'd be nice to see another workmark logo. 

284.png

Just because the Capitals use a wordmark logo doesn't mean it's a good idea for other teams to follow suit. 

My frustration with the Ducks wordmark is well-documented on these boards.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

11 hours ago, Yippy said:

All I'm saying is the Capitals made a workmark logo work (see image) I think it'd be nice to see another workmark logo. 

284.png

Ironically, the only team in the NHL who uses a script in all lowercase letters is called the Capitals.

8 hours ago, Toronto206 said:

Does this signal Anaheim isn't promoting third jersey/Mighty Duck? That would be a shame. And not that I question Chris Creamer, but I have a feeling the Sens will make the change next season- the team president is just being ominous. 

IMG_1480.JPG

They probably will promote the alternate to primary status eventually. However, does that mean they're getting rid of their championship logo in the process? The Ducks footprint logo is still used on the shoulders of that alternate jersey. But it would just feel weird to have the primary logos switch places like that.

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

a logo that belongs to a different franchise, a franchise so irrelevant and forgotten that the city's MLB expansion team had no qualms about giving the name a go just 11 years later.

I'm not sure at all we can say that with any certainty.  Sometimes teams like to borrow the name of teams that came before because It's the name of a team that came before.  Especially when that name has some local resonance, as "Rockies" does in Colorado.  The Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Pelicans, Milwaukee Brewers, Baltimore Orioles, Los Angeles Angels, and Toronto Maple Leafs all say hello.

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It's no good arguing that a team cannot use the former logo of a different franchise, considering that the Mets use the Giants' old logo, the Brewers formerly used the Braves' old logo, and the Nationals use the Senators' old logo. And, for honourable mention, the Dodgers use a logo that is almost exactly that of the L.A. Angels of the PCL.

Cap logo, cap logo, cap logo, and cap logo. All secondary logos. If the Avalanche want to keep the triangle as a secondary and use that on the shoulders I'd be fine with that. Secondaries are a good place to play with locality and make references. It would be a better secondary logo than just the C. The problem is the threat of it becoming the primary logo, which is a different ball of wax. 

You know who the triangle would be great for? The Rockies cap logo. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I'm not sure at all we can say that with any certainty.  Sometimes teams like to borrow the name of teams that came before because It's the name of a team that came before.  Especially when that name has some local resonance, as "Rockies" does in Colorado.  The Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Pelicans, Milwaukee Brewers, Baltimore Orioles, Los Angeles Angels, and Toronto Maple Leafs all say hello.

You can't say with any certainty that they're named after the hockey team either. The difference is all of those were either locally beloved names, have actual history in the city for many years, and/or are a means of connecting the current team with the team who previously played that sport.

I'm leaning towards the baseball Rockies not being named after a crappy hockey team that lasted 6 years. I think it's just a cool sounding name with good local flare. 

Example: I wouldn't have been happy if the new Atlanta MLS team was called the Atlanta Thrashers. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

The are openly stating the logo comes from the "TEAM'S HERITAGE":

R0ggfIK.jpg

I had no idea the Nordiques had a logo shaped like a mountain. What a rich heritage.

White square blocking is representative of snow capped mountains?  LOLOLOLOL Holy crap Avs.  

Showing our state pride...oh yeah, we also have our state flag on the shoulders in an incredibly tacky manner...

----

With that said, tweak that uni and logo a little bit, and I'd be okay with it.  Outlining the white numbers in silver (and bring back the glacier twill, if just for snowy name) would be cool.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

They probably will promote the alternate to primary status eventually. However, does that mean they're getting rid of their championship logo in the process? The Ducks footprint logo is still used on the shoulders of that alternate jersey. But it would just feel weird to have the primary logos switch places like that.

The more I think about it, even though that's what I'd like them to do, I just don't think they will.

When it was revealed there was almost no fanfare. Here it is, your brand new third jersey and they're wearing it right now oops we lost 4-1 to the Avalanche. In general they've been very lazy in terms of selling it, but then I guess it's the kind of design that sells itself. But the biggest headscratcher so far, they go all #PaintItOrange on us in the playoffs of its debut year, but then they wear the black jersey at home.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

39 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

The are openly stating the logo comes from the "TEAM'S HERITAGE":

R0ggfIK.jpg

hahaha. I'm glad I saw this. "inspired by" = ripped off the logo of a different team that played in Denver and made it worse. 

People are allowed to have opinions, but I just don't see how that thing is an improvement. I'm baffled by it and I'm honestly surprised by how many people defend that thing. Made worse by the fact that it's not their logo to use. I'm especially surprised by those who are usually on the side of not blurring the lines of franchise lineage who are oddly okay with the Avalanche using the Rockies logo. The Avalanche are the Nordiques. They aren't the Rockies, in fact they played the Rockies 11 times. 

If the Houston Texans slightly updated the Oilers oil derrick and used Texans colors and said it was pulling from the team's heritage would that fly? Of course not. How's this any different?

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

If the Houston Texans slightly updated the Oilers oil derrick and used Texans colors and said it was pulling from the team's heritage would that fly? Of course not. How's this any different?

The Rockies identity was an obvious influence on the original Avalanche identity. Besides, the Avs 3rd logo features a snow-capped mountain - not a stretch from their current identity in the least. How would an arbitrary oil derrick mesh with the Texans identity?

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

The more I think about it, even though that's what I'd like them to do, I just don't think they will.

When it was revealed there was almost no fanfare. Here it is, your brand new third jersey and they're wearing it right now oops we lost 4-1 to the Avalanche. In general they've been very lazy in terms of selling it, but then I guess it's the kind of design that sells itself. But the biggest headscratcher so far, they go all #PaintItOrange on us in the playoffs of its debut year, but then they wear the black jersey at home.

Ducks.jpg

^ That's the best jersey the Ducks ever had.

(Except for the OC patch on the shoulder)

The Catch of the Day!

6 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Ducks.jpg

^ That's the best jersey the Ducks ever had.

(Except for the OC patch on the shoulder)

Yuck. That's a monstrosity. It looks like an orange practice jersey used give to a player not cleared for contact, and the shiny logo looks awful.

The best jersey they've ever had imo is the current orange third. 

Archived