2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

25 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

<snip>

^ That's the best jersey the Ducks ever had.

(Except for the OC patch on the shoulder)

The OC patch sucks, I agree with you there. But the rest of it is a practice jersey at best and the chrome D is terribad. The regular D-foot logo would've helped the overall design, but, nope.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Regarding the Sens-

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

That is all.

While much nicer than the front-facing Roman they use now, if they re-brand I'd be much happier if they just dropped the Roman theme altogether.

The =O= is great and has more potential to become a timeless mark, but I'm not yet sure if I want it as the full-time primary.  I'd really like to see someone think outside the box on a Senators identity that doesn't use any of the Roman imagery or anything that has come before.  Start fresh as though they were a new team.

2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

The Rockies identity was an obvious influence on the original Avalanche identity.

Other than both teams playing in Denver and being named after things involving mountains (for the record so is every neighborhood, shopping center, street, etc in the city of Denver) I don't see any influence at all, much less an obvious one. 

QRocky-495x852.jpgforsbergcol8x10.jpg

In no world was the second identity influenced by the first. If anything I think the 1995 Avalanche were doing everything they could to be the anti-Rockies which also happened to include winning and being memorable. 

2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Besides, the Avs 3rd logo features a snow-capped mountain - not a stretch from their current identity in the least. How would an arbitrary oil derrick mesh with the Texans identity?

You're missing my point which is that the city's current franchise has no claim to a logo used by the city's former franchise no matter how appropriate it may be. How would an arbitrary oil derrick mesh with the Texans identity? It wouldn't, but the primary reason they shouldn't use it is because it's not theirs to use. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah the whole mountain forming/containing a letter is a bit of a stretch to say one was "inspired" by the other, unless of course they're claiming that "Avalanche" name is inspired by "Rockies" name because they happen in the mountains, but that's still pretty iffy. I mean the Rockies existed for all of SIX seasons, its not like they were some institution to the City like the Oilers were in Houston. 

In the Avs defense though, the Rockies identity was basically the Colorado state flag, which is pretty much public domain and fair use.  It's not like the former team had some unique, trademarked identity like in your Texans/Oilers scenario above. 

21 hours ago, Cosmic said:

It's really perfect, IMO. It looks like a logo that could last 100 years. It has a timeless quality to it.

I just wish we were allowed to post a picture of it here. ;)

Oh, right, the whole "no concepts in the news threads" thing. 

I never thought that logo would be that well received. I threw together the idea for a concept series years ago, and every so often it gets mentioned, and every time, I'm floored. I have to make a proper version of it sometime soon, I was using paint way back when.

Anyway, the logo is here
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/johnious/Ottawa Senators 1970s logo_zpselmchfhw.jpg

Anyone want to give some feedback before I redo it, I'm welcome to it, but I definitely don't want to derail the thread (more)

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

19 hours ago, bleuet said:

I cant wait to see Ottawa get rid of a roman figure. I mean, never understood the link. Fingers all crossed they go the "O" way o make sure they dont come up with a atrocity.

We should make a topic on those curious logos..

Senators - Roman Senate - Roman Army - Centurions!

1 minute ago, bleuet said:

So canadian...

Never claimed it was. You said you didn't understand the link from the name to the visual identity so it seemed like you needed it explained.

18 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The entire Avalanche identity was a mistake. They should scrap it all and go back to their original idea, the Rocky Mountain Extreme.

Image result for rocky mountain extreme

Yikes, that name couldn't be more 90's sounding.

I will say though, the Devils are very far removed from any connection to the Rockies (and Scouts). Both teams were around for such a short time and were so unsuccessful. Their history is technically accounted for in franchise records, but even then, 99% of any worthwhile stats come from the New Jersey era. Not like anyone from the Devils would argue about who the identity belongs to. They can have it.

The Nordiques-Avalanche relationship is way stronger than the Rockies-Devils relationship 

bdb82d13ba6a806d59726a99b3d1812b.jpg

2 hours ago, Corvus said:

Senators - Roman Senate - Roman Army - Centurions!

This is why, while I do find the profile centurion logo aesthetically pleasing and a huge upgrade over the current logo, going back to it would be a half measure. 

This change is about more than just a logo, it's about the entire brand. You simply cannot generate a strong brand around something with such weak ties to the city/team name. That's how we ended up with a Gerard Butler impersonator at centre ice trying to pump up a playoff crowd. 

The =O= might not be the best or most interesting logo in the league, but it represents everything that the team should of be striving to represent. Ottawa has one of the richest hockey histories in the world, is the birthplace of the Stanley Cup, and was home to one of the leagues founding members (pre-Original Six). The heritage jerseys are a perfect way to tie all of this to the brand. 

8 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

The are openly stating the logo comes from the "TEAM'S HERITAGE":

Nike also claimed that triangle shaped patches of colour on the Arkansas Razorbacks' football uniforms from a few years back represented the horns of a wild razorback boar. 

They also claimed that the same template represented the architecture of the Washington Huskies' stadium. 

Teams say all kinds of nonsensical stuff is what I'm saying. All of this brand speak's just white noise to me at this point *shrug*

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'm especially surprised by those who are usually on the side of not blurring the lines of franchise lineage who are oddly okay with the Avalanche using the Rockies logo. The Avalanche are the Nordiques. They aren't the Rockies, in fact they played the Rockies 11 times. 

Well I don't mind it for a few reasons. The first is that it's not the Rockies' logo. It's inspired by it, yes, and it's doing the same basic thing. It's still a different mark though, and the colours further differentiate it from the Rockies' logo. 

Secondly, brand speak aside, the Avs aren't claiming to be the Rockies. They aren't claiming their records, nor are sporting a "Colorado Hockey, Established 1976" patch or anything like that.

They're taking inspiration from the Rockies, yes, but they aren't pretending to be them or claim their lineage, such as it is. In fact the Devils recently honoured their Rockies history, so it's not like the history is being actively misappropriated.

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

People are allowed to have opinions...

There you go. That's what it ultimately comes down to. I don't like the Avs' current logo. I think it looks dated and tired. The Rockies-inspired logo just looks better to me.

It's referencing an older logo, yes, but it seems timeless. 

20 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The entire Avalanche identity was a mistake. They should scrap it all and go back to their original idea, the Rocky Mountain Extreme.

Image result for rocky mountain extreme

It would be a great fit in this league...

ExtremeHockeylogoupdate.jpg

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

You're missing my point which is that the city's current franchise has no claim to a logo used by the city's former franchise no matter how appropriate it may be.

Why not?   Worked for the Milwaukee Brewers.  And for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

28 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well I don't mind it for a few reasons. The first is that it's not the Rockies' logo. It's inspired by it, yes, and it's doing the same basic thing. It's still a different mark though, and the colours further differentiate it from the Rockies' logo. 

Here's my issues summed up so I don't spend more time on this:

- It's too similar. There's being inspired by a logo and then there's plagiarism. This logo touches too close to the latter for me. If the Rockies were still around and still held a trademark and a minor league team tried to use the Avalanche triangle logo they'd get a C&D. 

- It's too similar to a logo that doesn't belong to their franchise. I can't move past this. The Atlanta Thrashers Winnipeg Jets have the same damn name as the city's previous team and posters threw fits at the notion they use anything resembling the Phoenix Coyotes Jets logos. Why is this different? 

- It's too similar to a logo of a team that was a complete joke and forgotten the minute they left for New Jersey. This isn't resurrecting some previously beloved team. The idea that the championship winning logo could be tossed away for the logo of a team that did nothing for six years makes no sense. 

- It's too similar to a logo that was never that great a logo to begin with. 

- It does a worse job of informing than the current logo. 

- It's poorly rendered. I look at it and see fundamental flaws that irritate my visual senses.

- it's a goofy shape on the front of a jersey and I think the players look silly while wearing it. Admittedly this is most subjective and I may be searching for more reasons to hate it, but it's like a video game create a team logo or something. Perhaps the mountain is too simplistically rendered so it resembles clip art or a computer icon. I need a little more effort from my sports logos. No - it looks like a camping equipment company sponsored a corporate beer league team with a clever name like "the In-tents". That's it!

Just now, Gothamite said:

Why not?   Worked for the Milwaukee Brewers.  And for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Because it's 2017 when branding is a different animal than it was in the late 50's/60's/70's and those were cap logos, defacto secondaries. As I very eloquently worded already if the Avs want to use the triangle as their secondary, then go for it. That's an acceptable place to play with localities and whatnot. I'd prefer it to the plain dotted C, but if that thing takes over as the primary then they're the owners of one of the worst primary logos in major pro sports, which is how this whole thing began. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

I will say though, the Devils are very far removed from any connection to the Rockies (and Scouts). Both teams were around for such a short time and were so unsuccessful. Their history is technically accounted for in franchise records, but even then, 99% of any worthwhile stats come from the New Jersey era. Not like anyone from the Devils would argue about who the identity belongs to. They can have it.

The Nordiques-Avalanche relationship is way stronger than the Rockies-Devils relationship 

bdb82d13ba6a806d59726a99b3d1812b.jpg

Very true there's stricly nothing left, no dust, no smallest memories of the Rockies in NJ.

If I can add something.

To introduce third of special uniforms for the original 6, or even original 12 is something, but to impose those new looks, alternante logos etc.. to newest franchise, I mean, many teams struggle to get an identity and they rush designs to add confusion.

I'm OK with third uniforms, but alternate logos? For the Avalanche? For Columbus? Nashville?

What about getting their identity strong before?

97e8b77a21ba5c7b86b99cce378b8883.jpg

Archived