TheGrimReaper

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

1 hour ago, bleuet said:

See Boston is a interesting example.

2016 boston.jpg

Boston Bruins 1982-83 F jersey.jpg

By far the 1982 is better IMHO.

Looking at it on my phone, I think you're absolutely right.  At small size, the old logo clearly reads as a B.  The spokes recede slightly into the background and allow the letter to dominate.   The new one is so complicated, and all the black lines so muddy, that it all competes for the eye and reads more as a blob. 

The Bruins should never change anything anything about their identity ever again.  The uniforms and logo are a sterling example of hockey aesthetics perfected.

The 1995 spoked 'B' looks really dated now that the new brand has been established and minted with a championship.  The pooh-bear logo and somewhat questionable uniforms don't help its case either.

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

This, cleaned up a bit, would look much nicer for Boston:

uYuAGwd.png

Apart from the wider gap in the yellow next to the serifs which bugs me (and could be fixed), this is an upgrade.

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

7 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Boston added lines that are unnecessary. Clutters. 

27.gifvenf9fmhgnsawnxxvehf.gif

Vancouver's white inner line weight is superior but the hockey stick is now cartoony as opposed to iconic and the closing of the shape clutters. 

283.giffor12dfd4agde8ldpkzg.gif

Both minor details but pretty substantial downgrades in my eyes. 

Totally agree. The Bruins should connect the B to the spokes without the lines. That way, it'll be easier to invert the black and yellow on the black jerseys. I miss seeing the yellow B and circle with black spokes from the Boston Garden days.

As for the Canucks, I will take the updated Stick In Rink over the orca any day. The white 'C' is superior. However, the logo needs to ditch the crooked and cartoony "Nike" stick and go back with the classic stick. It might mean going back to the drawing board with the original logo by enlarging the stick but keeping it straight and then widening the inner border 'C' to complement the size of the stick.

17 hours ago, ColeJ said:

It may be counter-productive to "Southern hockey" to make note of this, but the man in charge of the Stars redesign from Day 1 was a Canadian businessman that plays beer league himself, and heavily weighed the opinions of the fans (myself, luckily, included) in his decision making.

I think that may be the problem because their template couldn't look any more like a generic beer league hockey team. 

11 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

I think that may be the problem because their template couldn't look any more like a generic beer league hockey team. 

So a good, solid hockey sweater template with unique colours and a great logo is "generic" and "beer league"? Please.

Look, the Stars looked great in Minnesota. They looked great when they came to Dallas. They look great now. You know when they didn't look great? When they had All-Star Game ripoffs that often had numbers overlapping with hem and arm stripes and a star logo that wasn't even lined up with the giant star-shaped waist striping.

As I said earlier, late 90s/early 2000s era stuff seems way overrated here to me. It was mostly dark and experimental. The latter of which isn't necessarily bad, but you need to keep in mind that experiments don't always work out. The Leafs with their custom numbers and numbers outlined in silver, the Stars with their black paired with dark forest green and star-shaped striping, the Sabres completely redesigning and recolouring everything...there's a lot from that era that simply isn't that good.

The Stars currently have a toned-down look compared to the ASG rip-off look, but it's as @ColeJ said. The team realised who they were. A Next Six team with decades of history, three Stanley Cup Finals appearances and a Cup to their name. A team that can say they have some heritage worth celebrating. They realised that, and they decided to dress like it. Sorry if they don't look like a late 90s branding executive's wet dream, but they made the right choice.

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

So a good, solid hockey sweater template with unique colours and a great logo is "generic" and "beer league"? Please.

The logos are fine i like them but the template is putrid. Solid is not the word for it, boring, uninspiring, is more like it. Please.

2 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

The logos are fine i like them but the template is putrid. Solid is not the word for it, boring, uninspiring, is more like it. Please.

What you see as boring I see as functional, traditional, and effective in their simplicity. As I said. Not every team needs to dress like it's 2001.

7 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

As I said earlier, late 90s/early 2000s era stuff seems way overrated here to me. It was mostly dark and experimental. The latter of which isn't necessarily bad, but you need to keep in mind that experiments don't always work out. The Leafs with their custom numbers and numbers outlined in silver, the Stars with their black paired with dark forest green and star-shaped striping, the Sabres completely redesigning and recolouring everything...there's a lot from that era that simply isn't that good.

I love that particular era of jerseys. Loved the leafs look from that time, always liked the stars template from that era too. The sabres were also one of my favourites, especially the template. Never liked the original sabres look, way to plain and boring but the colors were ok. I prefer the colors they wear now with a logo that has more depth to it and doesn't look so flat like the one they have now. Something like this.

sabres_ideal_logo.jpg

21 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

I love that particular era of jerseys.

Obviously. It's the era I grew up with, but I find them mostly to be overrated. I much prefer the aesthetic the league has been moving towards in recent times.

19 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

I love that particular era of jerseys. Loved the leafs look from that time, always liked the stars template from that era too. The sabres were also one of my favourites, especially the template. Never liked the original sabres look, way to plain and boring but the colors were ok. I prefer the colors they wear now with a logo that has more depth to it and doesn't look so flat like the one they have now. Something like this.

sabres_ideal_logo.jpg

I still prefer the original but that looks miles better than the black, silver and red goathead. There's more emphasis on the sabre swords while keeping the tradition of the crest intact. 

6 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Why Kings goes back to their regular logo on ice?

They've finished off to my knowledge their 50th Anniversary celebration. They interestingly changed it between the Florida home game and the Boston home game which was a week apart. The interesting thing is that they didn't go back to the regular log after the All Star game, but kept the 50th for another 3 weeks.

The Bruins jerseys are really hurt by the double-outlined names and numbers. Makes them pretty much unreadable from any distance. I think having the numbers gold and white and the names just one colour would look great.

Boston-Bruins-Rich-Peverley-Game-Worn-Us

57 minutes ago, Point1 said:

The Bruins jerseys are really hurt by the double-outlined names and numbers. Makes them pretty much unreadable from any distance. I think having the numbers gold and white and the names just one colour would look great.

Boston-Bruins-Rich-Peverley-Game-Worn-Us

They should just be gold with a white outline like the yoke.

I think the names/numbers on the whites are perfect though

11 hours ago, Morgo said:

The 1995 spoked 'B' looks really dated now that the new brand has been established and minted with a championship. 

We've gone back and forth on this particular point, but I think this warrants another round: winning does not make a bad logo better.  It creates an emotional connection with fans, sure.  But it does not actually improve the aesthetics.