2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

Back before the shift-to-retro infiltrated all aspects design (not just sports), I hoped the Senators would adopt a white version of the "toga" jersey as their road.  Now I wonder if that would even work.  Would there be enough contrast between red and black stripes?  Would the front "swoosh" provide too much colour to work effectively as a road uniform?  It's interesting to think about because if it wasn't for the Edge rollout, this is likely the direction they would have gone in.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest downside of the early 2000s red and black jerseys was the font. If they'd used a standard block, that would have improved both jerseys greatly.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, BelfourThibault said:

Call me crazy, and I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I like the Sens current jerseys A LOT more than the weird-stripe set of the 2000's. 

I agree with everyone about how the Penguins jerseys are awful. But that template just fits perfectly for the Sens. They own it, litterally.

On 3/24/2016 at 1:41 PM, WSU151 said:

The white stripes just seemed to work with the logo better.  Better color balance.

NO WAY!  The set without the white is way, WAY better!  I love how between the home and away only the body of the jersey changes, the striping on the sleeves and hem is exactly the same!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

23 hours ago, Morgo said:

Back before the shift-to-retro infiltrated all aspects design (not just sports), I hoped the Senators would adopt a white version of the "toga" jersey as their road.  Now I wonder if that would even work.  Would there be enough contrast between red and black stripes?  Would the front "swoosh" provide too much colour to work effectively as a road uniform?  It's interesting to think about because if it wasn't for the Edge rollout, this is likely the direction they would have gone in.

I've wanted to see that too. I think it could have worked well. Maybe if the main parts of the swoosh were red. 

1 hour ago, B-mer said:

I've wanted to see that too. I think it could have worked well. Maybe if the main parts of the swoosh were red. 

I've seen it with some local team, straight color swap with white and red (black swoosh, red outlines, on white) and it looked ok-at-best. the big black swoosh on white played havoc with the numbers, and the red looked really odd.

Maybe a red swoosh with black stripes would've worked, but it's hard to say. Seeing it on the ice is so much more telling than a concept on a screen. certainly would've pushed that they're a red team more.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

BjDY1hdCcAAf8r_.jpg

The Victoria Salsa of the BCHL, now the Grizzlies, wore these for a time.  I don't remember how long. Seeing this jersey, the Sens could have gone with a white version and I'm kinda surprised they never did, even though their original white jersey was one of the best jerseys in team history.

I think the original Sens whites are some of the most overrated jerseys in the NHL. Boring beer-league template - which is basically the same as the Devils' - and the black and red mix so much so it just looks like a muddy mess. Numbers are the same, they may as well just be black. The only interesting part - the logo - was still a pretty flat and boring illustration.

PWT2007.jpg

As much as I hate the Sens current template, what it does get right is using blocks of black and red to make the red pop more. Plus it isn't a Devils jersey.

gallery_1_3_351053.jpg

23 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I agree with everyone about how the Penguins jerseys are awful. But that template just fits perfectly for the Sens. They own it, litterally.

I wouldn't agree that the template fits them, but the Sens are the only team that's looked even remotely good in it.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I don't know if people are saying the Sens copied the Devils in some ways with their original jersey, but the Devils changed to black and red the same year the Senators joined the league.  With the Senators original jerseys, both the black and white, I feel the red wasn't too dark that it blended into the black.  I'll take the original set over what they have now and I hope that if they get the new building, they will change.

6 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

i just wish the sens would drop those stripes from their pants. 

Drop the one uniform element that ties in with their secondary logo that goes out of its way to reference barbepole? That makes no sense. Those pants stripes look great too. 

What they should do is double down on the double stripes and work them all across the uniform. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 3/26/2016 at 3:14 PM, Morgo said:

Generally I don't like white jerseys that have a stripe that intersects the numbers. It works on color jerseys because the number can be white and contrasts more. But on a white jersey you have to play around with the number to get adequate contrast. The only time I've seen a white version of the toga jersey "work" was when the concepter shifted the body stripe lower on the torso of the white jersey so it just became an arched hem stripe. They left the sleeve treatment the same and flipped the colors. It didn't perfectly match the red jersey, but it was a closer match than what they were actually wearing. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 3/25/2016 at 11:11 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

I prefer the white stripes, but they got the numbers right the 1st time.

The reason the red numbers only lasted the one season was because the red on black was very hard to read from the stands or the press box.  Mostly, I've heard from a very good source who worked in the press box back then, it was the play-by-play guys who really pushed them to change the numbers to white.

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Drop the one uniform element that ties in with their secondary logo that goes out of its way to reference barbepole? That makes no sense. Those pants stripes look great too. 

What they should do is double down on the double stripes and work them all across the uniform. 

once again thats not their barberpople jersey. put it on their third jersey then. thats the roman themed jersey. they already have their shoulder patch that references the barberpole, get over the barberpole man. 

1 hour ago, Rollins Man said:

once again thats not their barberpople jersey. put it on their third jersey then. thats the roman themed jersey. they already have their shoulder patch that references the barberpole, get over the barberpole man. 

I don't know what you're saying. They have the shoulder patch that references barberpole so it makes sense then that it would appear somewhere else within the uniform. It actually makes more sense that it would appear somewhere else within the uniform than not. Why would they call it out in a logo as if to say "hey, this specific striping pattern is something Ottawa hockey is known for, " and then not use it anywhere else besides that logo? That would be like the Browns not having an orange helmet with brown and white stripes, yet continuing to use the orange helmet as their logo. 

I'm not going to get over it when that is so clearly the answer to how the team should dress. They have elements of it scattered throughout their identity, but refuse to fully commit, and instead use a click and fill template. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived