2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

3 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

If they're going to use the same name and colours as the original Senators, they may as well go all the way and have an identity more akin to the old team.

Again, the =O= is a better reflection of the hockey history and the city of Ottawa itself, but it's also not the most striking mark. They could probably do better than that, but for what it is and what it represents, it's probably the better of the two. I'm sure I've said this already, but I greatly prefer the unused modern version of the profile Cen over the 3D one, and if they're not going to use that then I'd rather they scrap the Roman theme altogether.

I've often thought they could make a great primary out of the =O= on top of the shield logo shape from the third jersey shoulder patch and inlay a slight laurel wreath motif along the edges of the shield (maybe even use that for the shot of gold) to combine all the eras together.  I keep meaning to mock up that idea but I never do.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

If they're going to use the same name and colours as the original Senators, they may as well go all the way and have an identity more akin to the old team.

I agree that full-on barberpole isn't necessarily the way to go, going all out like that is a bit much. The vintage fauxback set does well enough in having something much like the barberpole, and paying tribute to the hockey history of the city, setting themselves apart from every other ed and black team, and without going overboard with the barberpole striping. Swap out the vintage white for white white and it's pretty much the perfect look for them. Having been to Ottawa, I feel like that uniform is also a better representation of the city itself.

As far as the logo is concerned, I think the Roman theme is the more visually interesting identity, but the more I think about it the less sense it makes. For one thing, it's depicting a Centurion rather than a Senator, who weren't exactly known for wearing helmets. Again, the =O= is a better reflection of the hockey history and the city of Ottawa itself, but it's also not the most striking mark. They could probably do better than that, but for what it is and what it represents, it's probably the better of the two. I'm sure I've said this already, but I greatly prefer the unused modern version of the profile Cen over the 3D one, and if they're not going to use that then I'd rather they scrap the Roman theme altogether.

well the jets have the same name and almost the exact same colors as the original jets, but they don't dress up like them, they have their own look, and rightfully so. Now if they wanted to wear a throwback third jersey of the old jets that's fine, but they're the new jets and should embrace a different identity, especially if they've already been using that identity for a quarter century. 

I think since they've had this look since the beginning, their history to me at least is tied to this look. The battle ontario, the run to the cup final in 2007. I think of the roman theme not an O. A lot of people would probably agree that the avalanches third jersey logo is probably a better representation of their city too, as well as the history of hockey in colorado, but it's not as good as a logo as their mountain A which they've won two cups in, and they shouldn't ditch that identity for a logo from another team who just so happened to be from the same city, same for ottawa. Embrace your roots, but look to cultivate new ones of your own.

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Now you're being deliberately obtuse. Those two stripes in the =O= logo are there because the team famously used stripes like that in their original run. It's clearly a reference to their old barberpole sweaters. Arguing that it's not is just incorrect.  

134893.jpg

It is not a coincidence then that a key part of the 92 sweaters used that same striping. The Capitals and North Stars used it because it's a cool way to stripe a jersey. The Senators used it very specifically to tie in with their city's hockey past. Were it not an EDGE template that two other teams use I'd argue even that their current sleeve treatment is a modern barberpole reference. That could be purposeful on the Senators' part because their original EDGE sock stripes also made a barberpole reference, but knowing the current Sens management that may have just been a happy coincidence that their new template accidentally ties in with their past. 

Again, why are you advocating for creative laziness?

Where am i advocating creative laziness? I'm not calling two simple stripes an ode to something. And im certainly not going to call their edge template and modernized version of a barberpole either. And they're sock striped were certainly not a barberpole reference. Can this team even use two stripes touching each other without it being connected to the barberpole pattern? Creative laziness is trying to take someone else's look instead of making your own. 

25 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

Where am i advocating creative laziness?

You previously said there were only so many ways to stripe a sock so it's okay if two teams wear the exact same look. You're also arguing against an attractive and unique look that would separate the Senators from the other teams using their overexposed color scheme in favor of taking the existing template and "fixing it up". Why limit a team's possibilities to "fixing it up"?

I'm not calling two simple stripes an ode to something. And im certainly not going to call their edge template and modernized version of a barberpole either. And they're sock striped were certainly not a barberpole reference.

You can say those two stripes aren't a reference to barberpole all day long and you'd be wrong all day long. That's exactly what they are. If those two stripes weren't a direct reference to barberpole on the 92 jerseys then why did they go out of their way to have the hem striping intentionally not match the sleeve or sock striping? And if those two stripes aren't a reference to barberpole then why would they go out of their way to include exactly that pattern in a logo in 2007? And if those two stripes aren't a reference to barberpole why would they go out of their way to outfit their entire organization in barberpole striped pants? And if those two stripes aren't a reference to barberpole why did they introduce a fauxback alternate that uses two stripes in a barberpole like manner? And if those two stripes aren't a reference to barberpole why did they make a second fauxback alternate for the Heritage Classic that uses two stripes in a barberpole like manner? That's a lot of evidence against right there. 

Can this team even use two stripes touching each other without it being connected to the barberpole pattern?

No, nor would they want to because that's exactly the look they're trying to evoke. 

Creative laziness is trying to take someone else's look instead of making your own. 

It's not somebody else's look. Nobody else in the NHL has this look. They're Ottawa's professional hockey team. This pattern has been associated with Ottawa hockey teams for decades. It is rightfully theirs to use and they have used it many times before. Plus they can take this pattern AND make it their own. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

edit: This is my last post on this topic because we're going in circles. If you don't like barberpole for the Senators that's fine. I think that's a bad opinion, but that's fine. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

39 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

well the jets have the same name and almost the exact same colors as the original jets, but they don't dress up like them, they have their own look, and rightfully so. Now if they wanted to wear a throwback third jersey of the old jets that's fine, but they're the new jets and should embrace a different identity, especially if they've already been using that identity for a quarter century. 

Except for the fact that the Old Jets are still currently an NHL franchise playing in Arizona. The New Jets have ZERO claim to anything to old Jets did or wore, really. If they could wear throwback Jets stuff, they would. The New Jets embrace a new identity because they actually have to.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Yet the NEW Jets could be throwing to the OLD Jets in next year's Heritage Classic with a WHA-based sweater.

Honestly, the team could go 1 of 3 routes and look better than now, IMO.

1. Base a set off any of the 90's jerseys.

2. Base a set off Pre-Edge alternate, with updated Peace Tower patch. (At least add green.... you had it in the proposed logo, for crise sake's.)

3. Use the Heritage Classic and current Alt, replacing Vintage White with regular White.

Does it matter if they borrow from history? Heck, people wanted the Flyers to throwback to the Quakers.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

That, and one could claim the new Jets actually have a better identity. The logo seems to be divisive, but I would argue that it's a step up from both previous attempts from Jets 1.0 era in that it's not a poorly rendered jet next to a sort of generic wordmark that poorly attempts to work a hockey stick in somehow. 

The Senators though? The Roman theme doesn't make much sense really, but even if you accept it? It's only ever worked with the original logos and the updated profile centurion that they never actually used. The two "3D" centurion logos they've used have been/are terrible, and those are the logos that have been used extensively and almost exclusively for the past ten years or so. 

Their attempts to create an identity separate from the barberpole are likewise terrible. The printing error swoosh toga sweater. Or the piped and panneled SENS alternate. Or the Edge click-and-fill sweaters they use now. 

The new Senators, unlike the new Jets, have kind of failed in establishing a brand that's strong enough to supplant the old team's identity. Most people seem to agree that the best new Senators look was some variation of the pre-red alternate innagural look, and that referenced the barberpole in its hem striping.

17 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

I think since they've had this look since the beginning, their history to me at least is tied to this look. The battle ontario, the run to the cup final in 2007...Embrace your roots, but look to cultivate new ones of your own.

Let me tell you about the roots of the new Senators.

As I mentioned above, their attempts at an identity separate from the original Senators have usually ended up looking awful. 

Now as far as the on-ice product goes...the Battle of Ontario? Not so legendary. The Leafs have beaten them every single time they've met in the playoffs. So if a look that screams "hey we've been consistently sent home by our more established inter-province rivals who are probably more popular in our home market than we are" is what you're after? Sure, the 3D Roman centurion and the swoosh look is probably the way to go. 

And that 2007 Cup run? Ended anticlimactically when they ran into a Ducks team that was superior in every way. They lost in five games. 

So their "own" roots include terrible uniforms and lacklustre playoff appearances.

The =O= and barberpole, meanwhile, are associated with one of the first Stanley Cup dynasties. 

You want the Avs to wear a look that reflects their two Cup championships, but you're arguing against the Sens using a look that's associated with a dynasty in favour of a look associated with multiple playoff loses to their biggest rival and a lopsided Stanley Cup loss? Weird.

The Pre-Edge Senators set didn't match but every one of those uniforms looked pretty spectacular in their own right.  The white uniform tipped the hat to the barber-pole motif  without going full barber-pole, the red was bold, eye-catching, and distinctly Canadian, while the black took the roman theme in a creative new direction.  In fact, I loved the "swoosh" jerseys until the retro, group think on these boards made me re-evaluate a uniform I hadn't seen on the ice in years.  My point is, no one was advocating a return for full on barber-pole or the "O" when this set was in rotation.  All people wanted was for the home and away versions to match in some capacity.

Since the switch to the Edge Uniform System, I will argue that the Senators have not produced a single good looking uniform.  They downgraded the 3D Centurion in 2007 and applied it to a truly awful template.  The "Sens" alternate was an abomination on every level, and Jacob Barette's 'Heritage Jersey' is so overrated it's ridiculous.  From its simplistic shoulder patches to the drab, vintage white that renders it a dark, depressing uniform...  I mean just compare it side by side to the bright red toga, with it's flashy, gold logo.  No doubt in my mind which uniform I'd like to see on the ice.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

And that 2007 Cup run? Ended anticlimactically when they ran into a Ducks team that was superior in every way. They lost in five games. 

So their "own" roots include terrible uniforms and lacklustre playoff appearances.

The =O= and barberpole, meanwhile, is associated with one of the first Stanley Cup dynasties. 

You yourself want the Aves to wear a look that reflects their two Cup championships, but you're arguing against the Sens using a look that's associated with a dynasty in favour of a look associated with multiple playoff loses to their biggest rival and a lopsided Stanley Cup loss? Weird.

Making the Stanley Cup Finals in 2007 is a huge accomplishment, regardless of how outmatched the team was.  I'd rather the team pay homage to their actual accomplishments instead of drawing a flimsy connection to a different team that had dynasty, a century ago.  The roman theme has been in place for 25 years.  That is 11 years longer than the time-frame the original Senators existed.  Ditching it for something based on the Silver Seven is like an admission the team will never win a cup.  Besides, the roman theme is just so much more interesting than an "O" on two stripes.

PRT2003.jpg

Keep the base, fix the primary and numbers/NOB, and make a white version. Such a fan of these.

I'd like to finish my Hamilton Tigers barberpole concept.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

You previously said there were only so many ways to stripe a sock so it's okay if two teams wear the exact same look. You're also arguing against an attractive and unique look that would separate the Senators from the other teams using their overexposed color scheme in favor of taking the existing template and "fixing it up". Why limit a team's possibilities to "fixing it up"?

You can say those two stripes aren't a reference to barberpole all day long and you'd be wrong all day long. That's exactly what they are. If those two stripes weren't a direct reference to barberpole on the 92 jerseys then why did they go out of their way to have the hem striping intentionally not match the sleeve or sock striping? And if those two stripes aren't a reference to barberpole then why would they go out of their way to include exactly that pattern in a logo in 2007? And if those two stripes aren't a reference to barberpole why would they go out of their way to outfit their entire organization in barberpole striped pants? And if those two stripes aren't a reference to barberpole why did they introduce a fauxback alternate that uses two stripes in a barberpole like manner? And if those two stripes aren't a reference to barberpole why did they make a second fauxback alternate for the Heritage Classic that uses two stripes in a barberpole like manner? That's a lot of evidence against right there. 

No, nor would they want to because that's exactly the look they're trying to evoke. 

It's not somebody else's look. Nobody else in the NHL has this look. They're Ottawa's professional hockey team. This pattern has been associated with Ottawa hockey teams for decades. It is rightfully theirs to use and they have used it many times before. Plus they can take this pattern AND make it their own. 

But they have a fine unique look as is, Going back to what someone already wore is the definition of laziness. A sock stripe being the same is no big deal, besides even you don't like that sock, they don't even wear it anymore. Well if those hem stripes are indeed a reference to the barberpole, then why didn't they continue the same stripes on the sleeves then? Heck why didn't they have the same barberpole pattern on the black jersey originally with a white stripe instead of just black and red? Using two stripes is not a barberpole, it can only be implied if the other elements such as the vintage O is there like with their shoulder patch of 3rd jersey, otherwise it's just two stripes that look like another two stripes. There is no point in taking something that is already established as you said and make it your own, if it's already synonymous with ottawa hockey then it must already belong to someone else since they've barely used it themselves. They already have a look that is theirs, and they can have the third as a nod to the cities history. 

16 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

That, and one could claim the new Jets actually have a better identity. The logo seems to be divisive, but I would argue that it's a step up from both previous attempts from Jets 1.0 era in that it's not a poorly rendered jet next to a sort of generic wordmark that poorly attempts to work a hockey stick in somehow. 

The Senators though? The Roman theme doesn't make much sense really, but even if you accept it? It's only ever worked with the original logos and the updated profile centurion that they never actually used. The two "3D" centurion logos they've used have been/are terrible, and those are the logos that have been used extensively and almost exclusively for the past ten years or so. 

Their attempts to create an identity separate from the barberpole are likewise terrible. The printing error swoosh toga sweater. Or the piped and panneled SENS alternate. Or the Edge click-and-fill sweaters they use now. 

The new Senators, unlike the new Jets, have kind of failed in establishing a brand that's strong enough to supplant the old team's identity. Most people seem to agree that the best new Senators look was some variation of the pre-red alternate innagural look, and that referenced the barberpole in its hem striping.

Let me tell you about the roots of the new Senators.

As I mentioned above, their attempts at an identity separate from the original Senators have usually ended up looking awful. 

Now as far as the on-ice product goes...the Battle of Ontario? Not so legendary. The Leafs have beaten them every single time they've met in the playoffs. So if a look that screams "hey we've been consistently sent home by our more established inter-province rivals who are probably more popular in our home market than we are" is what you're after? Sure, the 3D Roman centurion and the swoosh look is probably the way to go. 

The =O= and barberpole, meanwhile, are associated with one of the first Stanley Cup dynasties. 

You want the Avs to wear a look that reflects their two Cup championships, but you're arguing against the Sens using a look that's associated with a dynasty in favour of a look associated with multiple playoff loses to their biggest rival and a lopsided Stanley Cup loss? Weird.

Those aren't the same sens, it's a different franchise. They just have the same name, the cups form the original sens are not theirs, none of it is. Their jerseys have always looked fine to men and to many others. The edge takeover ruined their look but before that they looked fine. They didn't fail at all. Just becasue you haven't had a dynasty in this era or won a cup doesn't mean you should just ditch an identity to someone else cause they won 70 years ago. How do you intend to establish yourself by dressing up like someone else? The sens have had some damn good players from alfie, spezza, healtey and chara wear those jersey and have had some great playoff battles. I don't think they should drop it now after 25 years. The avs at least won those cups themselves, it wasn't the rockies who won it. The avs came in with their own look and made their own identity. Just like ottawa has, minus the Stanley cups. Are you saying if ottawa had won something by now that it wouldn't make sense to change but since they haven't they have to dress up like someone else who has won? 

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

The Pre-Edge Senators set didn't match but every one of those uniforms looked pretty spectacular in their own right.  The white uniform tipped the hat to the barber-pole motif  without going full barber-pole, the red was bold, eye-catching, and distinctly Canadian, while the black took the roman theme in a creative new direction.  In fact, I loved the "swoosh" jerseys until the retro, group think on these boards made me re-evaluate a uniform I hadn't seen on the ice in years.  My point is, no one was advocating a return for full on barber-pole or the "O" when this set was in rotation.  All people wanted was for the home and away versions to match in some capacity.

Since the switch to the Edge Uniform System, I will argue that the Senators have not produced a single good looking uniform.  They downgraded the 3D Centurion in 2007 and applied it to a truly awful template.  The "Sens" alternate was an abomination on every level, and Jacob Barette's 'Heritage Jersey' is so overrated it's ridiculous.  From its simplistic shoulder patches to the drab, vintage white that renders it a dark, depressing uniform...  I mean just compare it side by side to the bright red toga, with it's flashy, gold logo.  No doubt in my mind which uniform I'd like to see on the ice.

Making the Stanley Cup Finals in 2007 is a huge accomplishment, regardless of how outmatched the team was.  I'd rather the team pay homage to their actual accomplishments instead of drawing a flimsy connection to a different team that had dynasty, a century ago.  The roman theme has been in place for 25 years.  That is 11 years longer than the time-frame the original Senators existed.  Ditching it for something based on the Silver Seven is like an admission the team will never win a cup.  Besides, the roman theme is just so much more interesting than an "O" on two stripes.

this guy gets it.

3 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

this guy gets it.

I agree with Morgo that the Centurion logo is better than =O=, but the heritage jerseys are much better that the currents, and a great look for them. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I agree with Morgo that the Centurion logo is better than =O=, but the heritage jerseys are much better that the currents, and a great look for them. 

i agree the heritage is much better than the current centurion, but you can't save that template with any logo or color scheme. They, along with the pens, flames and avs need to get rid of those crap edge templates they use and get back to looking like they did 15 years ago.

I want to interject because I think you're missing a key point:

The Barber Pole is an integral part of Ottawa's hockey history.

The Winnipeg Jets were simply the first major league team in Winnipeg. It left no lasting legacy in a look.

1914-15
480px-Ottawa_Senators,_1914-1915.jpg

WWII Ottawa Commandos

normal.png?1382661992

50s Senators
1121-ott-vintage2.png?token=fKc4BKMMy3D6

60s senators

181_1.jpg 

Program.jpg

It's such a lasting legacy, those original Silver Seven left such an imprint on Ottawa's hockey image...I dare say it's on par with Pittsburgh in black and gold. If the Senators were using it in the NHL now, I'd say it was bigger. To break away from it is folly. Change for no good reason. Why fight your identity? It's time for Ottawa to accept who they are and don the barber pole full time.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

16 hours ago, Webhamster said:

True, but you're also not often reading sleeve numbers from the stands (unless you're in the 100's or have bionic eyes) or the press box.  You're reading the big white numbers on the back and they stood out.

Oh my goodness no. No no no no. I preach about this all the time. I've confronted coaches over it. I stopped the commissioner of the ACHA once to suggest that legible sleeve numbers be made mandatory. I want a tattoo of them, that's how important they are. It seems like the smallest, simplest, extraneous thing, until you have to call a game.

Most press boxes are at the same angle that the cameras are at, a net to either side of you. Which direction are players typically moving relative to you? Left to right, or right to left. It could take forever for them to turn their back to you, and it's even worse if they turn to face you (where there are typically no numbers, or numbers are obscured by arms, hands, and sticks). 

The number most often pointed in the announcers' direction are the sleeve numbers, and making them large and legible is the best thing a play-by-play announcer can ask for. They're the only reason I got glasses. Those numbers got fuzzy, my calls suffered, so I had to go get glasses that I only use for announcing.

Sleeve numbers are by far the most taken-for-granted thing in sports.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

12 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

But they have a fine unique look as is,

Do they? They wear an EDGE template that two other teams wore and they use the most overexposed color scheme in the league without trying to set themselves apart. That's not fine or unique. Also you're confusing two different things. I'm saying the template is garbage and their overall look is bad, but I don't want to completely throw out all of their logos. I think the logos can play. You seem to think this is an all or nothing proposition and it's not. Use the roman logos on the bad edge template or wear the direct 1920's throwbacks . What I'm advocating for is they take those double stripes look from the third and use it as the basis for a new jersey using the roman logos because that will look way better than what they currently wear. 

Going back to what someone already wore is the definition of laziness.

oh my god. How many times do I need to say I don't want them to go back to a direct throwback? I couldn't have made this more clear. There's a difference between directly copying something, which nobody is asking for, and using an element that is synonymous with that city for visual inspiration, which they already do on the pants and the secondary logo. I want them to use it more. 

A sock stripe being the same is no big deal, besides even you don't like that sock, they don't even wear it anymore. Well if those hem stripes are indeed a reference to the barberpole,

They are. 

then why didn't they continue the same stripes on the sleeves then? Heck why didn't they have the same barberpole pattern on the black jersey originally with a white stripe instead of just black and red?

Designer's choice. There was a trend at the time of placing the sleeve numbers inside of a stripe and that's what the Senators did. That's easier to do with those kind of stripes than the double stripes on the hem. Also possible they didn't want to go all in on the barberpole, wanted this version of the Senators to have their own distinct look, but still wanted to subtly reference the city's past. So that's why the hem stripe was that very specific type of striping. If it's not an allusion to Ottawa barberpole then it makes no sense for it being different from the sleeves. 

As for your second question, they left the lower stripe black because their original black jerseys didn't use any white on the jersey anywhere except for the number outline. They were going for a purposefully dark look (probably to distinguish themselves from the other red and black teams). It would've been visually inconsistent to have a random white stripe. Later, when they added white to the jersey they made sure to color that stripe white. 

Using two stripes is not a barberpole, it can only be implied if the other elements such as the vintage O is there like with their shoulder patch of 3rd jersey, otherwise it's just two stripes that look like another two stripes.

If it was any other city and any other color scheme I'd say you're right, but it's Ottawa and it's those two specific colors arranged in that specific order and it matches the =O= logo that is 100% designed as a call back to the O barberpole jerseys from the past. This can't be argued. It is very much intended to call back to a pattern that is familiar with that city's hockey teams. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. 

There is no point in taking something that is already established as you said and make it your own,

Sure there is. Visual cues are very important in design, particularly in having an instantly recognizable brand. Barberpole takes an identifier that is well known as being Ottawa's thing and places it on the highest team in the city. In a couple stripes it identifies what team they are and what city they're from better than what they're currently wearing. That's the point. When you have an element with that amount of visual equity it is silly not to embrace it. 

if it's already synonymous with ottawa hockey then it must already belong to someone else since they've barely used it themselves.

No you're wrong about this too. It doesn't belong to anyone except teams from Ottawa. Last I checked the Ottawa Senators play in Ottawa. It's the perfect pattern to identify the team and the city they're from. Also I provided more than 5 examples where they've used it themselves so it's not like they've barely used it. They've used it (because designers saw the value in that particular pattern being representative and identifiable of a hockey team from Ottawa). 

They already have a look that is theirs, and they can have the third as a nod to the cities history. 

Turn on the TV and from the TV angle they look like the Blackhawks, Devils, and Flames plus about a thousand junior, college, high school teams. Black helmets, red jerseys, black pants, red socks. It is the most overused set up in the sport. That's not a look I'd say they own. The hardest thing to do is create a strong brand that is instantly recognizable the second you see it. A black jersey with some barberpole striping as a call back to Ottawa would do just that. Why relegate that to a poorly designed 3rd jersey when you could employ those stripes for every single game? Why would you want to be the third best looking red and black team when you could be the best looking black and red team with the unique barberpole stripes? Why wouldn't you want that? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, hockey week said:

Oh my goodness no. No no no no. I preach about this all the time. I've confronted coaches over it. I stopped the commissioner of the ACHA once to suggest that legible sleeve numbers be made mandatory. I want a tattoo of them, that's how important they are. It seems like the smallest, simplest, extraneous thing, until you have to call a game.

Most press boxes are at the same angle that the cameras are at, a net to either side of you. Which direction are players typically moving relative to you? Left to right, or right to left. It could take forever for them to turn their back to you, and it's even worse if they turn to face you (where there are typically no numbers, or numbers are obscured by arms, hands, and sticks). 

The number most often pointed in the announcers' direction are the sleeve numbers, and making them large and legible is the best thing a play-by-play announcer can ask for. They're the only reason I got glasses. Those numbers got fuzzy, my calls suffered, so I had to go get glasses that I only use for announcing.

Sleeve numbers are by far the most taken-for-granted thing in sports.

Fair enough.  My eyes are pretty bad to begin with (you should see the prescription for my glasses) so in the couple of seasons I spent in the Sens press box in the early 2000's I totally relied on the numbers on the back to make out who was doing what.  I never used the sleeve numbers so I tend to ignore them.  But I also wasn't calling games, I was working as a reporter for a couple of sports websites calling in goals and period summaries and the like.

Archived