2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

I'm sorry Hockey Week; but the full on barber-pole is an eye-sore and has no place in today's NHL.  The look might have been able to fly in the early 1900's, when there were just a handful of teams, but picturing it next today's uniforms makes me shake my head.  The Montreal Canadiens tried to bring back the full barberpole for two games and the look was such a mess, it was scrapped after just one.

That being said, barberpole is most definitely a part of Ottawa's heritage and it should not be eliminated completely.  The way it was used on the inaugural set was tasteful and attractive.  Add that pattern to the socks, like McCarthy advocated, and you've got an amazing look that honours the history of the city without all the contrast and matchup problems, the full application presents.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Morgo said:

I'm sorry Hockey Week; but the full on barber-pole is an eye-sore and has no place in today's NHL.  The look might have been able to fly in the early 1900's, when there were just a handful of teams, but picturing it next today's uniforms makes me shake my head.  The Montreal Canadiens tried to bring back the full barberpole for two games and the look was such a mess, it was scrapped after just one.

That being said, barberpole is most definitely a part of Ottawa's heritage and it should not be eliminated completely.  The way it was used on the inaugural set was tasteful and attractive.  Add that pattern to the socks, like McCarthy advocated, and you've got an amazing look that honours the history of the city without all the contrast and matchup problems, the full application presents.

The Canadiens' barber poles used such a tight stripe pattern that it was doomed to fail on televisions. It's all about tempering the thickness of the stripes.

1912-13.jpg1.jpgOTTTHIRDF_260.jpg

Find the sweet spot that looks good on tv and in person, and you have something uniquely Ottawa.

I think that goes for the socks, too. You use the Canadiens' barber pole socks, you'll have just as many problems. Thicker stripes = better for tv

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The heritage jersey isn't full barberpole...  The hem, sleeve and chest stripes are not even the same width so I hardly think it fits into the discussion.  If you put the roman logos on that jersey and replaced the drab, vintage white with standard, you'd have something special.  That 67's jersey, on the other hand, is every bit of an eyesore as Montreal's.  What is the point of that awful, boxed in, shoulder yoke.

Hockey Week, I think you demonstrated a good method for handling the barber pole (and the Senators' crest):

OttawaSenators1973-79.jpg

Outside of switching to a block font, adding a white stripe underneath the red hem stripe on the road, and maybe removing the top barberpole sleeve stripe (to allow for uncluttered sleeve numbers), this would be a good look that reflects the history of hockey in Ottawa and the team's name.

4 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The heritage jersey isn't full barberpole...  The hem, sleeve and chest stripes are not even the same width so I hardly think it fits into the discussion.  If you put the roman logos on that jersey and replaced the drab, vintage white with standard, you'd have something special.  That 67's jersey, on the other hand, is every bit of an eyesore as Montreal's.  What is the point of that awful, boxed in, shoulder yoke.

That's all I'm asking for. When I say "barberpole" I'm talking 2 stripes of equal thickness, with one on top of the other. If all they do is throw just one of those on the hem and one on each sleeve and sock I'd consider that a win. 

They should also use the profile senator as the shoulder patch.  

senators_alternate_logo.png?itok=CpZEcBH

It's too good not to use anywhere.

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

That's all I'm asking for. When I say "barberpole" I'm talking 2 stripes of equal thickness, with one on top of the other. If all they do is throw just one of those on the hem and one on each sleeve and sock I'd consider that a win. 

They should also use the profile senator as the shoulder patch.  

senators_alternate_logo.png?itok=CpZEcBH

It's too good not to use anywhere.

Agree 100%  That is the best logo they've ever had.  Does everything the "O" does and so much more.

On 2016-03-29 at 5:35 PM, Morgo said:

I'd rather the team pay homage to their actual accomplishments instead of drawing a flimsy connection to a different team that had dynasty, a century ago. 

Same name, same city. More than a flimsy connection. No one's saying give the new Sens the old Sens' record books (though those Stanley Cup banners seem to indicate the team wishes it were otherwise). The original Ottawa Senators don't exist though. In any form. The current team is their spiritual successor.

As for accomplishments...again, there's not much. You know what the pre-Edge red swoosh sweater calls to mind? The Maple Leafs consistently beating them in the playoffs. And a run that ended with the Ducks curbstomping them in the Finals.

The roman theme has been in place for 25 years.  That is 11 years longer than the time-frame the original Senators existed.

The original Senators were founded in 1883 and folded in 1935 (I'm including their single season as the St. Louis Eagles for completeness). That's a run of 52 years and 11 Stanley Cup Championships.

The current Senators began play in 1992. That's 24 years and zero Cups.

Ditching it for something based on the Silver Seven is like an admission the team will never win a cup.

I don't see how.

Besides, the roman theme is just so much more interesting than an "O" on two stripes.

I'm fine with either of these logos. Just no more 3D centurions. Those things are brutal.

The Roman theme isn't a deal-breaker, but I would like to see a profile centurion used in tandem with a uniform that used barberpole-esque striping.

19 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

They, along with the pens, flames and avs need to get rid of those crap edge templates they use and get back to looking like they did 15 years ago.

The guy accusing us of being lazy/unoriginal just wants to revert teams back to what they were wearing fifteen years ago? Heh. Trying to find a way to do the barberpole in a way that can work in 2016 takes more creativity than going "just put them in what they were wearing in 2001."

Here's a rough take on what I'd like to see from Ottawa...

sQNTNvb.png

f4AJ9Y8.png

The double stripe calls the barberpole to mind without overdoing it. The team's history from 1992 onward is represented by the updated profile centurion primary. The =O= is used as the alternate. It, along with the barberpole striping, calls back to the original Senators team.

That looks really great and is an instant improvement, but I'd go with a black primary just because none of the red and black teams use black as their full time primary. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

57 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

sQNTNvb.png

f4AJ9Y8.png

The double stripe calls the barberpole to mind without overdoing it. The team's history from 1992 onward is represented by the updated profile centurion primary. The =O= is used as the alternate. It, along with the barberpole striping, calls back to the original Senators team.

Gorgeous! I'd also love to see a black mockup though. Awesome job, these are perfect!

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

sQNTNvb.png

f4AJ9Y8.png

Great combination...I'd be more interested in a black home as opposed to red, but this is leaps and bounds better than what they are currently wearing.

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

That is nice. I like the subtle change in the stripes in the =O= logo to match the stripes on each jersey. I'd also really like to see a black version. 

This is a concept that I've always really liked. I feel like it's also a good blend of eras to reference the same things as ice_cap mentioned. 

image.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys! Here's a version with black as the primary in place of red...

r4fVkHc.png

CBXGdhu.png

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

2. The shoulder patch. This is another case of trying to have your cake and eating it too. The Peace Tower logo would go well here.

I really like the Peace Tower logo. It's the only on-ice logo any Ottawa Senators team has ever had that actually attempts to reflect the team's namesake.

I just didn't know where to work it in. The profile centurion is the strongest option for the primary. The exercise was to make the barberpole look work in a modern context, so I opted for the =O= over the peace tower for the alternate. I suppose I could have used the Peace Tower and claimed the stripes alone were enough to represent the barberpole era, but the =O= gives it just that extra touch.

As for trying to have my cake and eat it too...I honestly don't see that. All three logos I considered, the Peace Tower, the =O=, and the centurion, are disconnected. One is a Roman solider. One is the letter "O" on top of two stripes. One is the central structure of the Canadian Parliament buildings. No two fit together in and of themselves. Any two can be used with each other, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Thanks for the feedback guys! Here's a version with black as the primary in place of red...

r4fVkHc.png

CBXGdhu.png

The red is perfect as an alt but this black version is both unique and awesome! I love the fact that black, red and white distance them from the Hawks, Devils and Canes. Once again an awesome job, these would be an incredible improvement!

18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

r4fVkHc.png

CBXGdhu.png

I really like the Peace Tower logo. It's the only on-ice logo any Ottawa Senators team has ever had that actually attempts to reflect the team's namesake.

I just didn't know where to work it in. The profile centurion is the strongest option for the primary. The exercise was to make the barberpole look work in a modern context, so I opted for the =O= over the peace tower for the alternate. I suppose I could have used the Peace Tower and claimed the stripes alone were enough to represent the barberpole era, but the =O= gives it just that extra touch.

As for trying to have my cake and eat it too...I honestly don't see that. All three logos I considered, the Peace Tower, the =O=, and the centurion, are disconnected. One is a Roman solider. One is the letter "O" on top of two stripes. One is the central structure of the Canadian Parliament buildings. No two fit together in and of themselves. Any two can be used with each other, in my opinion.

We agree to disgree then, but I adore that black version of the sweater.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

As I said, I love the Peace Tower logo. jp1409's comment about the red version still working as an alternate got me thinking, so I whipped this up.

hso28ZW.png

The maple leaf crest, the red sweater...call it the "Civic Pride Alternate" or something :D And yes, I DO think the Peace Tower is strong enough to stand on its own as a primary!

With that I'm done. Don't want to turn this into a concepts thread. Just trying to visualize some of the ideas I've had since the Sens discussion started.

All the mockups above look wonderful, and I would LOVE to see the black and white ones on the ice. And the current alt should be the alt but in red. Think of the original Senators, and the 67's. Both of those looks are red before black. And as an alt, it would also represent the City's hockey history more literally. Especially since most casual fans probably aren't going to see the connection to the barberpole striping.  

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

r4fVkHc.png

CBXGdhu.png

This. A million times this

Archived