2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

As I said, I love the Peace Tower logo. jp1409's comment about the red version still working as an alternate got me thinking, so I whipped this up.

hso28ZW.png

The maple leaf crest, the red sweater...call it the "Civic Pride Alternate" or something :D And yes, I DO think the Peace Tower is strong enough to stand on its own as a primary!

With that I'm done. Don't want to turn this into a concepts thread. Just trying to visualize some of the ideas I've had since the Sens discussion started.

I'll be totally honest, I'd send these to the team if I was you. I'm not a Sens fan but I'd be picking up a black jersey in a heartbeat. The striping, the logo, the fact that the home jersey is black and that the red alt is nearly as awesome, the vintage yet actual feel... There's a connection to pretty much every Sens previous uniforms and the mix is incredible.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Thanks for the feedback guys! Here's a version with black as the primary in place of red...

r4fVkHc.png

CBXGdhu.png

That is so hot. I'm not really a guy who buys jerseys of teams other than my own, but I'd purchase that black one. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Same name, same city. More than a flimsy connection. No one's saying give the new Sens the old Sens' record books (though those Stanley Cup banners seem to indicate the team wishes it were otherwise). The original Ottawa Senators don't exist though. In any form. The current team is their spiritual successor.

I have the very first Sens game on VHS recorded off CBC.  I know I remember John Ziegler was at center ice and presented Bruce Firestone with a decree from the NHL that made the Senators a continuation of the original franchise that had been "in hibernation" for 60 years.  It's all semantics anyway, but that's why they hung those banners.  They actually went up on opening night after that ceremony.

Unfortunately, we're in the process of moving right now so that tape is in a box somewhere behind me (or in our storage unit) so I won't find it again until probably June.  I'll be more than happy to digitize and YouTube it then.

11 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Thanks for the feedback guys! Here's a version with black as the primary in place of red...

r4fVkHc.png

CBXGdhu.png

I really like the Peace Tower logo. It's the only on-ice logo any Ottawa Senators team has ever had that actually attempts to reflect the team's namesake.

I just didn't know where to work it in. The profile centurion is the strongest option for the primary. The exercise was to make the barberpole look work in a modern context, so I opted for the =O= over the peace tower for the alternate. I suppose I could have used the Peace Tower and claimed the stripes alone were enough to represent the barberpole era, but the =O= gives it just that extra touch.

As for trying to have my cake and eat it too...I honestly don't see that. All three logos I considered, the Peace Tower, the =O=, and the centurion, are disconnected. One is a Roman solider. One is the letter "O" on top of two stripes. One is the central structure of the Canadian Parliament buildings. No two fit together in and of themselves. Any two can be used with each other, in my opinion.

These are really nice (though I did like the red one, myself).  I think this little homage to the barber pole works a lot better than trying to look like it's the 1930s.  Yeah, this will escape a lot of fans of the home team (not to mention other teams) but so be it. I'd still put the tower on the shoulders here...it's a great secondary and I don't think the =O=  is needed given that this is a subtle nod.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

i like the heritage jerseys as much as anyone, vintage white aside. The thing that I struggle with is the O. It obviously works for a throwback, but I'm not sold on it as the primary. With that, I haven't really seen a concept of that striping with either of the roman heads that look really good to me. Maybe one but I can't remember. 

20 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Same name, same city. More than a flimsy connection. No one's saying give the new Sens the old Sens' record books (though those Stanley Cup banners seem to indicate the team wishes it were otherwise). The original Ottawa Senators don't exist though. In any form. The current team is their spiritual successor.

As for accomplishments...again, there's not much. You know what the pre-Edge red swoosh sweater calls to mind? The Maple Leafs consistently beating them in the playoffs. And a run that ended with the Ducks curbstomping them in the Finals.

The original Senators were founded in 1883 and folded in 1935 (I'm including their single season as the St. Louis Eagles for completeness). That's a run of 52 years and 11 Stanley Cup Championships.

The current Senators began play in 1992. That's 24 years and zero Cups.

I don't see how.

I'm fine with either of these logos. Just no more 3D centurions. Those things are brutal.

The Roman theme isn't a deal-breaker, but I would like to see a profile centurion used in tandem with a uniform that used barberpole-esque striping.

The guy accusing us of being lazy/unoriginal just wants to revert teams back to what they were wearing fifteen years ago? Heh. Trying to find a way to do the barberpole in a way that can work in 2016 takes more creativity than going "just put them in what they were wearing in 2001."

There is no way to make the barberpole work in 2016, move on. The pens, avs, flames, and sens looked great pre-edge and should have never changed what they looked like. They should do what st. louis did and take their pre-edge set, that is actually theirs and not some other teams, and make it better. Why make something new to be "creative" when what they already had was fine and should have never been changed? 

The only thing I don't like about Ice Cap's concepts are the shoulder patches.  Every crest should have gold so the colour balance isn't thrown.  Besides that, it's a home run and exactly what the team should be wearing.  Whether they went with the reds or the blacks.

9/10

So Ed Snider is probably going to die, which is surprising because I thought he's been dead for years. Or at least looked that way. I'd expect the patch to end all patches next year. 

Off the the top of my head I can't recall any on-uniform tributes since Pelle Linberg, but I'd imagine this will call for something big. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived