2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

Maybe it's because I see it everyday, but this is basically just a better version of Penn State's new academic logo.

2015-Penn-State-University-logo-design-4

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

"amateur" I try my best and sometimes it's not always enough. My therapist helps keep my hopes high.

Meant no disrespect towards you, I think you did a great job. I was referring to the logo itself

18 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

Maybe it's because I see it everyday, but this is basically just a better version of Penn State's new academic logo.

2015-Penn-State-University-logo-design-4

I couldn't put my finger on what it was similar to, but this is it!

Ehhhhhh.....I agree with the sentiments that it looks awfully a lot like a soccer emblem. I can't help but compare it to the great logo they currently have and think whyyyy. This new one isn't horrible, but it looks rigid, muted and less exciting. It does really look like a soccer patch or a shoulder patch a best. Don't think it suits being the primary logo on a hockey jersey...

Downgrade. But that was expected.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The Panthers leaping panther logo is one of the best in the NHL. Its so dynamic and effective. To swap it out with this tame panther/shield logo begs the question. Why?

Also that sun patch was great. They had some of the best logos in the league and now they are both gone for a bland makeover.

Bleh!

https://chinesefontdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/21125464528.gif

The Catch of the Day!

2 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

I agree that this looks better, but then there might not be enough red... the gold outer outline doesn't work well.panthers%20chest_zps6smxoo4m.png

Yep, there you go, that works really well. The lack of red works out, because the jerseys are primarily red and lacking in blue, so the two should balance out.

If they stripped some details out of the original logo and made this shield the shoulder patch, they'd have a really solid logo set. Maybe that's the end-game, because it would work.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

1 hour ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

The Panthers leaping panther logo is one of the best in the NHL. Its so dynamic and effective. To swap it out with this tame panther/shield logo begs the question. Why?

That is my biggest question.  Why did they feel it was necessary to change logos now.  I would love to read their creative brief on this change.

20 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

That is my biggest question.  Why did they feel it was necessary to change logos now.  I would love to read their creative brief on this change.

I wouldn't. I reckon it would be ill-informed, trite garble about injecting a bold, fresh new look into the franchise. Yawn. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

6 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I wouldn't. I reckon it would be ill-informed, trite garble about injecting a bold, fresh new look into the franchise. Yawn. 

Bringing the heat as hot as South Beach, this fresh new look will charge up the fan base with a powerful showing of pride.

So far, we haven't even seen an actual digital copy of the logo yet. Chill.

I like the original logo, but some folks here are pretending that it's without (major) flaws. The truth is that it's a very 90s, hyper-aggressive logo that is overly detailed.  It's also illustrated in this weird, angular manner without many curves... which is strange when you think about it, because a cougar/panther is a very smooth and sleek animal. It worked with the original uniforms because of the angular jersey design, but when the team moved on from those uniforms in the mid 00s, it didn't work nearly as well.

However, it's pretty obvious in my opinion that the team needs a fresh, cohesive restart. They've been floundering both on the ice and aesthetically for over a decade now. Even before that, they flirted with the panther breaking a hockey stick variation, flip-flopping between red and navy uniforms, and then they had that weird fling with light blue a few years back.  They've tried to make the old logo work within an identity for the last decade (even tried updating the head for the light blue alt jersey), but nothing's clicked. Now they've finally got a talented nucleus of players for the future... The time has come to unshackle themselves from their forgettable two-decade existence.

The new design is a very nice, regal depiction of a Panther. It even looks like they kept some of the strange angular points as a nod to the original, which is a nice touch. And being that we haven't seen anything else, I'm going to reserve judgement.

Archived