2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

18 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Is this their new striping pattern?

Florida-Panthers-New-Logo-Leaked.jpg

Finally remembered what it reminded me of.

3166_penn_state_nittany_lions-alternate-2001.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Red Wings announced that the new arena will be called Little Caesars Arena.  I would have preferred a non corporate name, but I get that it is 2016 and that was never going to happen.  Can't say I am a fan of the new arena logo:

13087693_10153767219869139_8275749635230

13062023_10153767457759139_3153921239312

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Just a touch Thrasheresque now without the type.

That was a good logo, though. Yes, it was so very late-90s/early-2000s, but it worked far better than their other two logos.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On April 27, 2016 at 9:44 PM, worcat said:

Yeah it is iconic to that franchise, because it's all their fans know and love. You don't keep a logo for 20+ years and all of a sudden decide to overhaul the identity without expecting fans to be upset about the decision. 

The locals may not know the logo because Florida is still a growing hockey market and if people don't recognize the logo it's because they aren't fans of the team. 

Yeesh. After "20+ years" a logo change is papering over real problems. It's time to stop talking about it as a "growing market" and start considering it a "failed market".  Failing at the very least. 

40 minutes ago, rroy0824 said:

The new Red Wings announced that the new arena will be called Little Caesars Arena.  I would have preferred a non corporate name, but I get that it is 2016 and that was never going to happen.  Can't say I am a fan of the new arena logo:

I feel like John Oliver would have something funny to say about this...

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

10 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

The colourful inaugural jerseys are easily the best things they've worn, something about that really said "Florida"to me, and it was a fantastic look.

I couldn't agree more.  No matter how good the new jerseys turn out, there's no chance they will top the originals.  My hope is that the red version will be brought back as a third.  The Miami writer, who leaked the info, hinted at this.

1 hour ago, rroy0824 said:

The new Red Wings announced that the new arena will be called Little Caesars Arena.  I would have preferred a non corporate name, but I get that it is 2016 and that was never going to happen.  Can't say I am a fan of the new arena logo:

Was Joe Louis Arena 2 too much to ask for? On a side note, does anyone know of any hockey arenas with a separately named rink? Like how Boise State football plays at Albertson's Stadium on Lyle Smith Field. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

the new logo looks like a delicious chicago style pizza.

and i pray to infant jesus that they won't bring that "hockeytown" center ice logo to the new barn. seriously. i'm not one of those people that gets up in arms over how silly it is (probably because i don't remember a time when they didn't use it, because i became a fan in the early-to-mid 90's...

it just looks like such a relic of the "Fox Trax" glow-puck "Coolest Game on Earth" era of the NHL. at the joe, it reminds me of darren mccarty and kris draper and mike vernon and vladimir konstantinov... that's the past. this is a new arena, an entirely different era of players... we're a lot closer to 2020 than we are 2010, let alone 2000 or 1995. the time has come and gone, if it was ever appropriate to begin with. 

2 hours ago, rroy0824 said:

Should've been the Hot 'n Ready Arena. Missed opportunity right there lol. 

index.jpg

If there aren't a thousand jokes about Wings fans being hot n ready on game night, I'll be so disappointed. Nothing like Pizza and Wings for Detroit hockey! HA!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

4 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I made this version myself and feel the text is completely unnecessary:

EdC1OpT.png

The cat stands alone great without "Panthers" but the shield is necessary for the overall design.

I still can't believe your work has yet to be on Icethetics. I like the shield without the wordmark much better but it is still way too JAGS for me if you get my drift. As for their new logo, it isn't terrible but I was expecting something with a more timeless look to it. It's too similar to the Jaguars' logo and it reminds me of a sports car brand, like Lamborghini or Porsche.

On April 27, 2016 at 4:02 PM, hockey week said:

Just once, I'd like this to happen

I'm%2BOk.png

On April 27, 2016 at 4:30 PM, wildwing64 said:

THEY CHANGED IT NOW IT SUCKS

I'm sorry, but what do you want? If people don't like a design, they're going to criticize it. I'm not sure what the Rangers' crest and the Kings' awful home plate logo have to do with the fact that the Panthers' new look is very reminiscent of something you would find in MLS. Was the old logo great by any means? No -- it was far too angular and intricate, and had no real success associated with it to boot. An update was definitely justified, but that doesn't mean we have to like whatever they come out with.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

23 minutes ago, BigBubba said:

I'm sorry, but what do you want? If people don't like a design, they're going to criticize it. I'm not sure what the Rangers' crest and the Kings' awful home plate logo have to do with the fact that the Panthers' new look is very reminiscent of something you would find in MLS. Was the old logo great by any means? No -- it was far too angular and intricate, and had no real success associated with it to boot. An update was definitely justified, but that doesn't mean we have to like whatever they come out with.

The thing is, we are NEVER happy. Ever. Even the things we seem to like now, like Dallas and Winnipeg, were the worst things ever produced by man when they first came out. 

We're all majorly overreacting, from the highs of "the last logo was iconic!" to the lows of "This is the worst logo possible!" and I'm annoyed that this happens EVERY TIME.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

5 minutes ago, hockey week said:

The thing is, we are NEVER happy. Ever. Even the things we seem to like now, like Dallas and Winnipeg, were the worst things ever produced by man when they first came out. 

We're all majorly overreacting, from the highs of "the last logo was iconic!" to the lows of "This is the worst logo possible!" and I'm annoyed that this happens EVERY TIME.

I recall significant praise following the recent updates by the Leafs, Ducks, Blues, and Stars (as well as the rumours of the Penguins switching back to the '90s look).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived