2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, hockey week said:

Or you fix what they have now to make it alright, like Elliot Strauss did

Lol this is from so long ago.

The "SJ" seen above is a bit of a stretch, sorry. Kind of like when people used to say there is a face in the puck of the Avs logo-- people see what they want after staring at a logo for too long, especially uniforms nerds like us

This Dallas - St. Louis uniform matchup is absolutely beautiful. I know some people don't like the "original 6 dress-up" of the Stars, but this has to be the best uniform matchup of the 4 series. The contrast of the green against the blue/yellow is especially nice. the Blues managed to go from a bottom-5 uniform set in the league to a top-5 set immediately after they "fixed" all the problems with the Edge set IMO. That's gotta be pretty rare, going from one of the worst to one of the best especially in a sport like hockey with so many classic looks. The Blue Jays in MLB are really the only team that came to mind across the major 4 sports that falls in to that category.

The Panthers at least have the potential to go from a bottom-10 look in the league to a top-10.

20 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Shameless plug:

VKfYANM.png

Very good. Most plausible alternative proposed so far. Seems a little 'dark' though, if I had to find a flaw. Could you rework the triangle colours so that the inside is still white? 

I really don't like the thin lines on the Sharks current logo, so this fixes that big time. As I imagined, it suddenly looks 3x better.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

I don't like the way the letters are cropped on this particular version but they are there...

YqXgvo6.jpg

I don't care for stuff like this. Laaaame.

2 hours ago, Bayne said:

Very good. Most plausible alternative proposed so far. Seems a little 'dark' though, if I had to find a flaw. Could you rework the triangle colours so that the inside is still white? 

I really don't like the thin lines on the Sharks current logo, so this fixes that big time. As I imagined, it suddenly looks 3x better.

Did a variation on your design myself.

Not sure which one I like better, but they're both improvements on the current logo based on the changes you've made. 

sharks.jpg

8 hours ago, Morgo said:

I don't like the way the letters are cropped on this particular version but they are there...

YqXgvo6.jpg

OMG SO CLEVER! Did you know if you pause Lion King at the right time the dust in the wind spells out "SEX"?

You know why the sharks are the only California team without a Stanley Cup? Because the designer hid the Ducks and Kings logos in the new shark.

sanjosesharkslogo.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

Did a variation on your design myself.

Not sure which one I like better, but they're both improvements on the current logo based on the changes you've made. 

sharks.jpg

I think it can certainly worth without orange, but maybe the teal should just be lightened. I agree that it does look a little dark, though. 

Glad you all like the update! It's much appreciated! :)

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

9 hours ago, Morgo said:

YqXgvo6.jpg

I love hidden elements, but I'm calling bull :censored: on that one. 

It's like the "hidden P" in the Padres' cap logo.  That is to say, an accidental shape that kinda, sorta resembles something but isn't really there. 

So much sarcasm and vitriol.  Must have struck a nerve by pointing out, what I thought, was cool detail.  If the letters were super obvious, they wouldn't be a hidden element now would they?  It is not meant to be perfect typography nor is it meant to be something the average person sees immediately.  There is really no other reason for the teal line to go into the left fin the way it does other than to create (an admittedly rough) "S."  Remove it and the shading of the Shark looks more realistic.

Hiding letters in things is not cool and in my scorecard is not a mark in that logo's plus column.

It's a very outdated design goof and as you said if you remove that stroke then you have a more realistic looking depiction of the shark's fin. So you add more complexity just so you can wedge in a squrimy looking SJ that a vast majority of people will never pick up on. I'm a design nerd and I didn't even know about this until a few weeks ago. 

Here's an example: UAPB. That's not a good depiction of those letters and it's an even worse depiction of the lion's mane. It's the spork of logo design. 

ArkansasPBGoldenLions.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

52 minutes ago, Morgo said:

So much sarcasm and vitriol.  Must have struck a nerve by pointing out, what I thought, was cool detail.  If the letters were super obvious, they wouldn't be a hidden element now would they?  It is not meant to be perfect typography nor is it meant to be something the average person sees immediately.  There is really no other reason for the teal line to go into the left fin the way it does other than to create (an admittedly rough) "S."  Remove it and the shading of the Shark looks more realistic.

Vitriol? Whoa...taking your own observation a little too seriously there. We'e just acknowledging the inherent self-serving "look at how clever I am!" tongue in cheek designer thing that you get to laugh at now and then. That is all.

5 minutes ago, Morgo said:

To be fair, the letters in that logo are hardly hidden and it's not very strong to begin with.

Then are the letters even there?

This is one of the biggest stretches regarding a hidden element I've ever seen. 

(Apologies for the weird quote box thing. Stupid mobile site)

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Saying there's an SJ in the sharks' logo is one of the biggest stretches I've ever seen regarding hidden elements.

If it's barely noticeable and not very strong to begin with, is there even a hidden element to begin with?

Just now, Kaz said:

Well, what would you call the best?

I think it's probably the best logo in NHL history, and the NHL tends to be the best looking as far as logos go in the Big 4.

Yup, agreed. I just don't think the Whalers logo is the best logo of all time. That's all I'm saying. I mean, look at that W. Come on. 

Archived