2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

They never had that much personality in the first place, and borrowed the Penguins' template for their original sweaters. The new logo looks more like a Florida panther than the old one ever did, which I count as an improvement. The military iconography is a little unfortunate, but they look good.

Borrowed template? They both had slanted arm stripes, but borrowed template? No. The jerseys weren't at all similar other than that. Personality they did have. The colors were something the NHL hasn't seen since the Rockies who were blue primarily and the design was different, especially with the yoke. 

On the topic of Philly, I really do love the 90's uniforms. I disagree with @Morgo's comment about them being too top heavy since the cut off the cuff by changing to black defeats that notion. Philly's current set is bare and just doesn't work with the EDGE system. The TV numbers go over the extended yoke they have and the white on white captain's patches are dumb. I hate how the orange and white touch too, a look I'e never liked. IMO they set needs more black and the 90's uniforms had a perfect balance of it. Unfortunately, those jerseys aren't nostalgic enough for them to ever go back to them. They're more likely to have a fresh new look sometime in the next 5 years or so.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

On the topic of Philly, I really do love the 90's uniforms. I disagree with @Morgo's comment about them being too top heavy since the cut off the cuff by changing to black defeats that notion. Philly's current set is bare and just doesn't work with the EDGE system. The TV numbers go over the extended yoke they have and the white on white captain's patches are dumb. I hate how the orange and white touch too, a look I'e never liked. IMO they set needs more black and the 90's uniforms had a perfect balance of it. Unfortunately, those jerseys aren't nostalgic enough for them to ever go back to them. They're more likely to have a fresh new look sometime in the next 5 years or so.

This was something that happened in the original and was a deliberate detail added by the team. That has nothing to do with the edge template, it was planned.

MacLeisch_615.jpg041116%20Philadelphia%20Flyers%20Reggie%clarke.jpg

It was a quirk that happened for a while, but when the jerseys came back, the Flyers adopted wholesale, just like the stupid off-color nameplates. It was a short-term quirk that was blown up to permanence with the throwback set

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

"We couldn't properly design a uniform the first time around" is hardly an excuse to repeat ugly mistakes, and then double down on them with the black nameplate on the white jersey. Plus, because of the weird striping inconsistencies in goalie-cut Edge jerseys, the sleeve numbers always fit properly on the goalies' jerseys.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love the colored nameplate on the orange jersey, I don't know why... But the black one is meh... It's not that bad of an idea for the colored nameplate, but it really doesn't work for the Flyers road jersey...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No, much less custom.  Many of the numbers look just like normal block.  At first glance only the 1 stood out to me.

The Vikings and Cardinals have numbers that were blatantly tampered with to make them "unique", including the addition of little notches that nobody designing a number set would ever add unless explicitly instructed to.

Hell it might not even be a custom font - maybe just not one that's typically used in hockey.  It's refreshing though, and sticks to the "traditional yet contemporary" vibe I get from these.

No I can confirm, it is a custom font.

17 hours ago, fonz said:

Why is most of the merchandise in the NHL shop for the Panthers only available with the secondary logo (saying Panthers) and not the primary (saying Florida) as the crest? You think most would be for their primary mark.

NHL Panthers Shop

The team primary logo is with "Panthers" the secondary logo is with "Florida". It makes sense that the home logo would be their primary and why the merchandise they are selling uses the primary logo. I am sure in time the secondary logo will be made more widely available.

14 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I retouched a previous concept. How's this for a future alternate??

I know it's very Ducks-inspired. But I find that the template just fits the Panthers.

Panthers_zpss893ssat.png

This would've been an incredible upgrade. I generally like what the Panthers actually created, but this is just fantastic, and in keeping with the franchise's history.

On 6/4/2016 at 7:51 PM, TRoyConcepts said:

This is my fix

Florida Panthers Fixed.png

- Added navy cuffs

- Added white border to primary logo

- Chest stripe now goes fully around jersey

- Changed number colors to navy with white border

- Moved shoulder patch to shoulder

- Removed Florida/Panthers script from shoulder logo

- Moved captain's insignia from on top of shoulder logo to the top of the TV Numbers

* Should be noted that I forgot to change to the "FLORIDA" script logo on the away

This would have been perfect. I'll never be a huge fan of the military imagery, but if they were going to go with it, this would've been a perfect execution. The wraparound stripe and solid blue numbers provide great balance.

Also, the "FLORIDA" oversight on the away actually improves it - I prefer just using the standard primary shield (i.e. "PANTHERS") on both jerseys. This isn't baseball (or ever basketball) - there's no great tradition of having the city name on the road uniform, and team name on the home uniform in hockey. Hell, there's no tradition of having either name on any uniforms, for that matter.

2 hours ago, MEANS said:

The team primary logo is with "Panthers" the secondary logo is with "Florida". It makes sense that the home logo would be their primary and why the merchandise they are selling uses the primary logo. I am sure in time the secondary logo will be made more widely available.

Not according to the mothership.  Chris has "FLORIDA" as the primary.  Although "PANTHERS" is on the home sweaters, the team is using the "FLORIDA" for a lot of their web presence, including their websitefacebook and twitter.

Their release isn't any clearer, referring to the "Primary Home Shield" logo and "Primary Away Shield".

13327658_10154137894750928_5316241846766

13327612_10154137895000928_3219879564198

EDIT: Here's their logo slick,from the Sun Sentinel article:

770x433

So what's strange is that they're putting a secondary logo on their home sweaters.

Aannnd the countdown to the Panthers going retro has officially begun.

How long until they have a big unveiling of their new uniform who "Is a tribute to the past"

How many years do you give them before they are back to their 96 uniform ? B)

I really like the "Florida" Shield better because when i look at it i read it as "Florida Panthers" versus the other one which all i see is "Panthers Panthers" seems kinda redundant to have the word Panthers over the image of a panther

Super late to the party, but I'll add my $0.02 on Florida.

I think it's a good set, I'll call it a "swing and a double". Not a home run, but definitely not a miss either. The logos are, as a whole, very good. Coming from a family with a strong military background, I'm always a sucker for military inspired marks and these look very good. The Panther renderings are sharp and the modernized Florida flag is fantastic.

I do have three minor quibbles though - 1) the updated leaping panther, though pretty good, still leaves something to be desired. I'd rather it be a tad smoother, it needs the extending whiskers, and I wish the navy shading were a bit more consistent as far as area covered with its predecessor (compare the two heads and you'll see what I mean). 2) I think I prefer the original gold to the new one, and 3) the torso stripe not extending to the back is...not bad, just kinda odd to look at.

So those kinda knock it down from home run to double for me, but hey, a double is still great! I'm cool with it all, especially considering the logos as a whole are so good. I even may pull the trigger on a shirt here soon.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

21 hours ago, hockey week said:

The perfect Flyers jersey is somewhere between that and their currents, but I don't see anybody really going for it and perfecting it.

I'd scale back the shoulder/sleeve striping back to somewhere between the old ones and current ones, but keep the trim separating them from the base color. I'd keep the white nameplates on orange.

40 minutes ago, dont care said:

I really like the "Florida" Shield better because when i look at it i read it as "Florida Panthers" versus the other one which all i see is "Panthers Panthers" seems kinda redundant to have the word Panthers over the image of a panther

In a way, I agree, but it reminds me of the Canucks and their stupid "Vancouver" script, and I don't want to be reminded of such poor design.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Aannnd the countdown to the Panthers going retro has officially begun.

How long until they have a big unveiling of their new uniform who "Is a tribute to the past"

How many years do you give them before they are back to their 96 uniform ? B)

If you think about it, this change for the Panthers is very comparable to when the Penguins went to vegas gold. Keep the animal but change the logo. Keep the colors but change to a gold instead of yellow. And look where the Penguins are now...about to change back to their originals. Watch in 15 years, the Panthers will be back in their original look.

Also, the Flyers jerseys aren't perfect now. Anyone who is on this site knows that the numbers shouldn't overlap the striping like that, it looks horrible.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Not according to the mothership.  Chris has "FLORIDA" as the primary.  Although "PANTHERS" is on the home sweaters, the team is using the "FLORIDA" for a lot of their web presence, including their websitefacebook and twitter.

Their release isn't any clearer, referring to the "Primary Home Shield" logo and "Primary Away Shield".

13327658_10154137894750928_5316241846766

13327612_10154137895000928_3219879564198

EDIT: Here's their logo slick,from the Sun Sentinel article:

770x433

So what's strange is that they're putting a secondary logo on their home sweaters.

Interesting, the slicks we have show it the other way around, i wonder if they will be updated.

On 6/5/2016 at 1:59 PM, fonz said:

Why is most of the merchandise in the NHL shop for the Panthers only available with the secondary logo (saying Panthers) and not the primary (saying Florida) as the crest? You think most would be for their primary mark.

NHL Panthers Shop

I would assume because they're using the Panthers on home kits, and Florida on the road. I get your point, though.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived