2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

16 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

It actually pisses me off how San Jose has so many nice alternate logos yet they don't use any of them. Their alternate shield logo would look great on their aways over the full shark.

If you think this should be on the front of a jersey, it solidifies to me that you have no idea what you're talking about :)

o9917fcegyg9neu0akis.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Steve-O said:

If you think this should be on the front of a jersey, it solidifies to me that you have no idea what you're talking about :)

o9917fcegyg9neu0akis.png

Shoulder logo

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

20 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Gross, no thanks.

So instead of a full body shark you want a shield containing that same shark plus more busy graphics and words?  

Yeah, that logo was ugly... I'm glad they ditched it from their breezers this year. They should put something close to the original fin logo on the shoulders...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

23 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Gross, no thanks.

So instead of a full body shark you want a shield containing that same shark plus more busy graphics and words?  

Yes. They have a shark as the primary logo and a shark for the shoulder logo. I feel like that shield logo would add a good balance of black and orange to the jersey. I also don't see how that's busy at all. It's text, inverting colors and a shark.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

2 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

explain, maybe?

There's not a whole lot to explain. Your contention that this logo:

o9917fcegyg9neu0akis.png

is not busy rather beggars belief.  

You can say lots of things about that logo.  You can even make a case that it's a good logo. But "not busy" is always going to be a stretch. 

Two things. First, I haven't seen the Vegas-ized NHL logos posted, and I thought they were pretty well done. Columbus is probably my favorite

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16044186/nhl-national-hockey-league-team-logos-redesigned-las-vegas

They're pretty big on their own, or I'd post a few.

And there's an artist accusing Florida of stealing his work...and I think he has a legit claim to it

13407132_847945281976836_896194501240029

TLDR Version: The Florida Panthers ripped-off some of my art!

Details: I was contacted by someone from the Panthers over Twitter a while back saying he liked my mascot series on DeviantArt (http://jmh3k.deviantart.com/gallery/46088358/NHL-Mascots) and wanted to commission me to do some work for the Panthers. I was psyched to do something for an NHL team, so we talked for a while, but when I got to outlining my rates, he cut things off and said they were "going a different direction." Today, a month and a half later someone on Twitter pointed this out to me: https://twitter.com/FlaPanthersPR/status/740190254544605184

They took my Panthers image from DeviantArt, cut it into pieces, repositioned the pieces and painted a new jersey over it. Check the head, the right hand, the tail in particular.

I've had my artwork ripped off (and butchered) by a big company. I think that means I've finally made it as an artist.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Don't understand, for the life of me, why the Sharks don't use this as a shoulder patch.  Now that the "SJ" version appears on the pants, it makes even more sense.  As for the shield, waay too much going on.  I was not at all sad to see it go.

gnZvS6U.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Wow.  That seems like a pretty solid claim.  He's got them nailed. 

*BANG* "Case closed. The Florida Panthers have been found guilty of Intellectual Theft. Sir? What would you like for reimbursement?"

"Mmmmm..."

*silence* 

"Sir?"

"Move them to Quebec..."

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

Don't understand, for the life of me, why the Sharks don't use this as a shoulder patch.  Now that the "SJ" version appears on the pants, it makes even more sense.  As for the shield, waay too much going on.  I was not at all sad to see it go.

gnZvS6U.png

Hell, I'd argue that that's a solid enough logo to use as a primary. 

Funny, I used to like the sharks primary logo, but it's grown stale. Maybe it's the weird color balance, or maybe it's the fact that the Sharks uniforms have exponentially decreased in aesthetic over the past two decades, but the whole Sharks identity is in major need of an overhaul. 

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

They should recolor it and use it. Awesome!

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I actually liked the navy and copper Oilers more than the royal and orange. It's not that the current or WHA-inspired sets are bad by any means (currently I'd put them in the Top 10, maybe even Top 5), but the navy and copper look was just so unique and it gave the Oilers an identity that wasn't "shared" with the Islanders. Besides, that alternate logo and third jersey were some of the best and most creative aspects of NHL logo and uniform design of the 90s/early 2000s. 

The navy/copper/red Oilers identity has always looked nasty to me (although I do like the sleeve patch). If I had my way, I'd have the royal/orange Oilers and the navy/orange Islanders. These are some of my favorite NHL uniforms:

Islanders19.png

The only changes I would make would be to dump the double outline and add the lighthouse logo as a sleeve patch. I know their color scheme is supposed to reflect the New York City flag, but a shade of blue paired with orange should do the trick in this situation (it doesn't necessarily have to be the Rangers' royal shade).

Archived