2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Heitert said:

Hell, I'd argue that that's a solid enough logo to use as a primary. 

Funny, I used to like the sharks primary logo, but it's grown stale. Maybe it's the weird color balance, or maybe it's the fact that the Sharks uniforms have exponentially decreased in aesthetic over the past two decades, but the whole Sharks identity is in major need of an overhaul. 

It's a great shoulder patch but definitely not primary material.  The current Sharks logo is fine as it is.   Put the fin on the shoulders, repeat the sleeve stripes on the hem and you've got a top five look.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:
12 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

explain, maybe?

There's not a whole lot to explain. Your contention that this logo:

o9917fcegyg9neu0akis.png

is not busy rather beggars belief.  

You can say lots of things about that logo.  You can even make a case that it's a good logo. But "not busy" is always going to be a stretch. 

If you start counting from the black half of the shield, there's four outlines.  I'd say busy.

Four outlines, a sun, a shark eating a stick, split background, word mark, all on a custom-shaped shield? That's pretty much the definition of busy. 

At least they refrained from slapping a fin or something in that empty orange space on the bottom right. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The only changes I would make would be to dump the double outline and add the lighthouse logo as a sleeve patch.

That lighthouse patch from the fishsticks set was amazing! Should have had that on the front instead of the fisherman...

Heck, get rid of the wave stripe and that's not a bad uniform IMO.

YVRMUBj.png

On 6/10/2016 at 7:14 AM, Steve-O said:

I can understand from a hockey-traditionalist perspective that people would be put-off by these but from a design stand point, Florida nailed it. Shields aren't strictly a football thing and nor do they have to be. I didn't hear a ton of gripes about when the Thrashers used a shield. Did that look too Euro for everyone? Is it because it's a stripe and shield? I've been waiting for someone to take a stab at a military inspired theme for the NHL and I'm glad Florida did.

Take a look at the original logos primary or alternate for the Panthers and tell me what in there is good design? The panther from the 1993 release looked like it was from 1993. Don't get me wrong, it isn't abysmal by any means but it was way too complicated and the amount of shadowing was ridiculous. Don't even get me started on the secondary logo, which once again has such tiny details for a logo that is almost always displayed at minimal size. The new branding is far superior and I think anyone who views it from the perspective of good design would agree.

Yup, because a half-finished jersey, a minimalistic panther in a shield that looks like something most would expect from a soccer team, and a panther laying on top of a state flag is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo great. 

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yup, because a half-finished jersey, a minimalistic panther in a shield that looks like something most would expect from a soccer team, and a panther laying on top of a state flag is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo great. 

Much better than overly detailed cartoon leaping panther and clip art sun with clip art palm tree and hockey stick crossing infront of it for logos.

6 hours ago, dont care said:

Much better than overly detailed cartoon leaping panther and clip art sun with clip art palm tree and hockey stick crossing infront of it for logos.

It's overly detailed but that's what it gives it it's energy and style.  Nothing about it is cartoonish and the inaugural jerseys are still the best the team has ever had.  The updated version would be worlds better if they kept the red paws.  As it stands, it looks off...  Unfinished even.  The treatment of the tail and hind legs is atrocious.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

It's overly detailed but that's what it gives it it's energy and style. 

No, it's just cluttered and muddy.  It's a terrible logo, and the new one is a massive upgrade.  Even with the awful back feet, which tells you how amateurish the old one was. 

Nothing about it is cartoonish?  In what world outside of animation could a panther be breaking a hockey stick in half?  And why would it want to anyway?

The entire basis of the logo is that it's cartoony.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Nothing about it is cartoonish?  In what world outside of animation could a panther be breaking a hockey stick in half?  And why would it want to anyway?

The entire basis of the logo is that it's cartoony.

The version with the stick breaking in half was an alternate logo, retired from the jerseys since 2007.  The logo is a detailed depiction of a leaping panther and the level of detail is the only difference between it and the logos unveiled at the start of the month.  I've yet to see any cartoons resembling any of Florida's logos, past or present.

Florida's new look is fantastic, don't get me wrong.  I just put it slightly below their first one when it comes to overall aesthetics.  The red jersey in particular was a modern classic.  I hope an alternate based on it is on the way, even if it has the updated 'leaping panther.'

^^

I agree...and it may be the differing photo quality or something.  But I always feel like both teams did not quite nail their "new/old" designs.  But I cannot quite put my finger on it.  And I am actually happy the Islanders are back with this. (Not so for the Oilers; I love their darker blue with the copper, pre-edge, of course)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived