2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

42 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well it's still only the logo, and what I mean is that they'll be for sure wearing Pittsburgh Gold next year, but the uniforms may not necessarily be direct throwbacks... 

I don't necessarily care about the uniforms(to an extent). I'm just happy they're going back to Pittsburgh gold instead of the Vegas gold. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

A color swapped version of the original Vegas gold set would be the ideal uniform.   I wouldn't mind seeing a PITTSBURGH alt either. 

Unpopular opinion: As much as I hate the Pens' current jerseys, Vegas Gold isn't a bad colour at all. An Edgification of the original Vegas Golds would actually be better than a colour swapped version, IMHO 

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

The bottom stripe can't be that size because of the Edge jersey design. If you look at the actual jersey, you can see it's curved at the bottom. If the stripe were that size, it would either be curved at the top (and the spacing between the white and yellow stripe would be off) or there would be extra material at the bottom.

tMLbtU8.jpg

Wait for Adidas to start making jerseys. 

5 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Unpopular opinion: As much as I hate the Pens' current jerseys, Vegas Gold isn't a bad colour at all. An Edgification of the original Vegas Golds would actually be better than a colour swapped version, IMHO 

I completely agree with you.  I'm in the vast minority, but I prefer Vegas gold.  I will miss it.

Having grown up and lived in Pittsburgh all my life, never liked football, never cared for baseball, I loved that my team differentiated it's brand with Vegas gold.  

The color balance on the throwbacks is just not good in my opinion.  Gold is given almost as much precedence as black.  And the striping is just a mess.

The pre-Edge uniforms were the best the team ever looked.  Vegas gold was always used as a tertiary color, with black and white respectively being used as primary and secondary.  I would prefer they keep that color balance with uniforms that also treat athletic gold as a tertiary color.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

On 6/13/2016 at 0:09 AM, Ark said:

Maybe it's the high definition, but for some reason this

S0WCkX6.jpg

looks a lot better than this

8fgRpuP.jpgt

For me, the blue stripe on the Islanders jersey is too big compared to the original and also because it's not completely straight on the sleeves.  The whale tale effect does not help, either.  As for the Oilers, if only they can shrink the size of the shoulder yoke and change the weird looking collar.

10 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

I haven't really thought about it before, but has anyone noticed how much better the Edge collars look than the old/CCM ones?

They're not better. They don't lend themselves to classic designs at all. The Canadiens and Blackhawks look especially bad with the tapered layers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So, is there any updates on the Maple Leaf uniforms ? I know the rumors of unveiling on/around the time of the Draft and, since that is nearing I'd figured someone knows something ( plus I'm getting anxious lol ) ?

4kv29i.jpg

10 hours ago, demondg1 said:

I completely agree with you.  I'm in the vast minority, but I prefer Vegas gold.  I will miss it.

Having grown up and lived in Pittsburgh all my life, never liked football, never cared for baseball, I loved that my team differentiated it's brand with Vegas gold.  

The color balance on the throwbacks is just not good in my opinion.  Gold is given almost as much precedence as black.  And the striping is just a mess.

The pre-Edge uniforms were the best the team ever looked.  Vegas gold was always used as a tertiary color, with black and white respectively being used as primary and secondary.  I would prefer they keep that color balance with uniforms that also treat athletic gold as a tertiary color.

You must not be that old then, since Vegas gold was only a full time thing starting in 2002. I'm not disagreeing that the pre-edge set was fantastic, but I will admit nostalgia is making me love the alternates. I also can't get images of Mario in the matching white out of my head. Tons of good memories pulling me to them. 

8 hours ago, eww7633 said:

You must not be that old then, since Vegas gold was only a full time thing starting in 2002. I'm not disagreeing that the pre-edge set was fantastic, but I will admit nostalgia is making me love the alternates. I also can't get images of Mario in the matching white out of my head. Tons of good memories pulling me to them. 

I'm way older than I care to admit. Mario's the greatest player of all time and my favorite player ever.  But his era long is over.  I don't feel nostalgic when I see the current throwbacks.  I see inconsistent stripes and poor color balance.  It feels old and tired to me.  Yes, I know I'm in the vast, VAST minority.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Vegas gold is just too passive looking of a color for pro sports. It's too washed out and does not contrast well enough with white thus the current brand looks soft. The sunflower yellow and black are a tough look for the Penguins, even with an animated logo. I would change their alternating 3-striped socks to better match the lower section of their sleeves. That would sync up the sweaters with the socks starting with the yellow on top, then a black/white/yellow and finally a black finish. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 8.14.29 AM.png

I just wanna go on record and say that I love the Robopenguin logo and think it still has a place. I first started recognizing hockey sometime in the early 2000's shortly before they switched back to the skating penguin so that's where my nostalgia lies.

emaz7ibs36tg6f7ay2se.png

bSLCtu2.png

That's one of the worst jerseys in the history of major league sports.  Stripes on the shoulders? Gradients? Sublimation? 

The only good that came of that uniform was it introduced their unique number font, which is something I hope carries on to their new uniforms. It would at least make them not a straight up throwback. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived