2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

2 hours ago, NeverSayNever said:

Vegas gold is just too passive looking of a color for pro sports. It's too washed out and does not contrast well enough with white thus the current brand looks soft. The sunflower yellow and black are a tough look for the Penguins, even with an animated logo. I would change their alternating 3-striped socks to better match the lower section of their sleeves. That would sync up the sweaters with the socks starting with the yellow on top, then a black/white/yellow and finally a black finish. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 8.14.29 AM.png

From this perspective, this uniform would look 10x better if the yellow stripe under the white was filled in to double the size of the white.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

I just wanna go on record and say that I love the Robopenguin logo and think it still has a place. I first started recognizing hockey sometime in the early 2000's shortly before they switched back to the skating penguin so that's where my nostalgia lies.

emaz7ibs36tg6f7ay2se.png

The logo is good...this jersey is not. It epitomizes everything wrong with uniforms in the 90's. The white jersey with the RoboPenguin was a beauty. 

Me personally, I prefer the skating penguin as a primary. Yes, it's cheesy and cartoony, but many great logos are. It's also cemented it's status because of success worn while wearing it, plus the nostalgia factor. Would it still be around had Pittsburgh not been an early 90s powerhouse and won 2 back to back cups and remain competitive for the next 25 years? Probably not. 

sig.png

Penguins should change their anniversary logo to keep the 3 cups at the bottom, but have the penguin raising the 4th cup rather than holding the stick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The skating penguin is a thing of beauty. Some of the most endearing and classic logos in sports are cartoony and the skating penguin is right up there with the best of them. The Orioles bird. Huge the Hornet. Chicago Bulls logo. Miami Dolphins. I can go on and on... are very successful and popular. The RoboPenguin on the other hand is too corporate and dull. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 11.39.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 11.41.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 11.43.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 11.52.24 AM.png

It's the scooped hem that presents the problem. The St. Louis Blues have an excellent solution to that issue:

Blues29.png

A small bit of hem striping beneath the "main" hem striping that matches the color of the pants solves the issue of non-matching stripe sizes. This is really only an issue on the white sweater, but one that can be fixed in the Blues' way.

Speaking of the Blues, Icethetics' jersey watch claimed that there may be a new alternate in the works for the Blues. I wonder if it'll be a throwback of some sorts.

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's the scooped hem that presents the problem. The St. Louis Blues have an excellent solution to that issue:

Blues29.png

A small bit of hem striping beneath the "main" hem striping that matches the color of the pants solves the issue of non-matching stripe sizes. This is really only an issue on the white sweater, but one that can be fixed in the same way.

Speaking of the Blues, Icethetics' jersey watch claimed that there may be a new alternate in the works for the Blues. I wonder if it'll be a throwback of some sorts.

Shame. I actually like the current alternate. They are hosting the Winter Classic this year, and it is their 50th anniversary. Maybe they will be elevating the Winter Classic uniform they haven't unveiled yet to alternate status? 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Actually the Rangers had the solution to this. They sewed the bottom curve underneath the jersey to make the hem appear straight.

1FDozpT.jpg

Reebok Edge jerseys are basically dress shirts. They are designed to be tucked in. Hopefully Adidas jerseys have a better design. 

7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I just wanna go on record and say that I love the Robopenguin logo and think it still has a place. I first started recognizing hockey sometime in the early 2000's shortly before they switched back to the skating penguin so that's where my nostalgia lies.

emaz7ibs36tg6f7ay2se.png

It does still have a place. Throwback nights! :)

Nothing more, though. I think, despite the fact that it really reeks of the 90s, it's a jersey that's well done for what it is at least. The incorporation of silver and gold in gradient forms is added just subtly enough so that it stands out without being vomit inducing. Something like this full time definitely wouldn't fly today. But if they hop on board for throwback weekends or something like the Coyotes and Ducks have done, then yeah, totally!

20 minutes ago, Morgo said:

what an improvement.

I agree. The tighter fit is better than a jersey that's a size too baggy. But the dress shirt curve is a terrible, terrible idea that probably came up from someone with no sense for hockey aesthetics.

6 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

The logo is good...this jersey is not. It epitomizes everything wrong with uniforms in the 90's. The white jersey with the RoboPenguin was a beauty. 

Me personally, I prefer the skating penguin as a primary. Yes, it's cheesy and cartoony, but many great logos are. It's also cemented it's status because of success worn while wearing it, plus the nostalgia factor. Would it still be around had Pittsburgh not been an early 90s powerhouse and won 2 back to back cups and remain competitive for the next 25 years? Probably not. 

My suggestion is to put a smaller robo penguin on each shoulder area of the home and road jerseys starting next season. There is room for this addition. And while the robo penguin has its detractors, the Penguins were usually a strong team in the 90s wearing that style. Unfortunately, the robo penguin was a creation of the ownership of the era, and said ownership drove the franchise into the ground in the tail end of the decade.    

it doesn't make any sense to have two totally different penguin logos used in the same identity.  They're either going for a jovial classic look, or a contemporary identity - can't have both.  It didn't make sense when they did it the first time either.

I've come around on robopenguin, and agree that it has most of the components of an iconic logo, and could have eventually reached that status - had it been in place since day 1.  Unfortunately the skating penguin, while by objective measures not as good of a logo, became beloved and grew to symbolize the franchise  - even when it wasn't in use.  

I guess I'd be OK with it if they wanted to create a super-modern alt set based around the robologo, just so that they could still sell it, but IMO while there's a lot of good things about it, it has no place in their identity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, NeverSayNever said:

The skating penguin is a thing of beauty. Some of the most endearing and classic logos in sports are cartoony and the skating penguin is right up there with the best of them. The Orioles bird. Huge the Hornet. Chicago Bulls logo. Miami Dolphins. I can go on and on... are very successful and popular. The RoboPenguin on the other hand is too corporate and dull. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 11.39.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 11.41.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 11.43.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 11.52.24 AM.png

Couldn't agree more. That's why the skating Johnny Canuck would look great on a Canucks jersey. 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

it doesn't make any sense to have two totally different penguin logos used in the same identity.  They're either going for a jovial classic look, or a contemporary identity - can't have both.  It didn't make sense when they did it the first time either.

I've come around on robopenguin, and agree that it has most of the components of an iconic logo, and could have eventually reached that status - had it been in place since day 1.  Unfortunately the skating penguin, while by objective measures not as good of a logo, became beloved and grew to symbolize the franchise  - even when it wasn't in use.  

I guess I'd be OK with it if they wanted to create a super-modern alt set based around the robologo, just so that they could still sell it, but IMO while there's a lot of good things about it, it has no place in their identity.

Penguins30.png

It worked for these, which people seem to agree is the best look the Pens have had.

37 minutes ago, eww7633 said:

Penguins30.png

It worked for these, which people seem to agree is the best look the Pens have had.

This was a transition. It brought the Penguins out of the mishmash of looks they had previously and unified the brand around the skating penguin. It was beloved because it had the skating penguin, just like the Buffaslug was loved for simply being blue and gold. The robopenguin was brought along, just like the sword-in-B was kept for the Sabres. It eased the change from a "rebrand" to a "transition", and made it all very palatable for the fans. Which is important, because a lot of people hated the 1993 transition, and a lot of fans like myself blamed the cash grab change right after back-to-back Cups was part of why we never saw success again (until 2009).

It was a nice look, but if you like this look because of the robopenguin shoulder patches, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. 

Seriously, look at the previous two eras and what a mishmashed mess they were. This makes the Wild look unified:

Penguins25.pngPenguins29.png

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The Rangers-style black sweater should never see the light of day again, double blue precedent be damned (those jerseys only existed because the original GM didn't like the first skating penguin). I'd rather see a yellow version of this, with black taking the place of powder, white replacing vintage white, and block numbers instead of the rounded ones:

Pittsburgh-Penguins-2011-Winter-Classic-

It's striping pattern is too unique not to use somewhere, Crosby's concussions notwithstanding. Besides, appropriating a double blue-era design for a black/yellow color scheme will demonstrate a significant commitment to that color scheme in the long term.

24 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Rangers-style black sweater should never see the light of day again, double blue precedent be damned (those jerseys only existed because the original GM didn't like the first skating penguin). I'd rather see a yellow version of this, with black taking the place of powder, white replacing vintage white, and block numbers instead of the rounded ones:

Pittsburgh-Penguins-2011-Winter-Classic-

It's striping pattern is too unique not to use somewhere, Crosby's concussions notwithstanding. Besides, appropriating a double blue-era design for a black/yellow color scheme will demonstrate a significant commitment to that color scheme in the long term.

I had a similar idea only with this jersey:

image.jpeg

Just replace powder blue with yellow and navy with black.

Archived