2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, hockey week said:

Jagr was removed from the Penguins' Ring of Honor and All-Time Team after he signed with Philadelphia instead of coming back to Pittsburgh like he was promising to. 

Last time he was playing here, we had to trade him to Washington for Kris Beech, Michael Sivek, and Ross Lupaschuk because he was "dying alive in Pittsbooourgh." That's why we still boo him every time he's here.

He shouldn't get a banner. Ever.

But now he has played for all the NHL teams ;) 

Can't he be forgiven now ? 

18 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

A little future prediction because why not...

If the return to athletic gold phase lasts, ironically, Mario will still have his #66 hung on a vegas gold banner (which is a color he rarely ever wore) and Crosby might have his #87 hung on an athletic gold banner (which cannot be determined how long he'll be wearing those colors, possibly just a small fraction of his career). Their banner consistency may wind up completely upside down.

And if Jagr decides to retire someday, what about him? He never wore vegas gold. It will be funny him having the same banner as Crosby, despite having only played with Mario.

Very true. Good thinking ! ;)

18 hours ago, hockey week said:

Jagr was removed from the Penguins' Ring of Honor and All-Time Team after he signed with Philadelphia instead of coming back to Pittsburgh like he was promising to. 

All the reason for me to love Jagr now! I'm sorry. Even if I weren't a Flyers fan, I'd still find the Penguin team very unlikeable.

4 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

All the reason for me to love Jagr now! I'm sorry. Even if I weren't a Flyers fan, I'd still find the Penguin team very unlikeable.

Technically speaking, they took it down because he was still an active player, but that didn't seem to matter until he went to Philly after swearing up and down that he wanted to come to Pittsburgh again as a favor to Mario. 

We still boo him every time he plays the puck, and it's fantastic. 

And my absolute favorite is when local radio station WDVE made a parody of Moves Like Jagger called "Douchebag Jagr" ...personally, I like it better than the real thing lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeubNUnor8U

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

On 5/19/2016 at 10:49 AM, hockey week said:

As a Pens fan, it feels like there's always a new uniform, something new for everyone to buy. Based on how they switched up jerseys right after back to back cups and wanted to go with four jerseys, the Penguins completely get what you're saying and try to do that. 

Factor in the bankruptcies and it becomes every eight years.  There is always something exciting on the horizon for the Pens.  

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

And my absolute favorite is when local radio station WDVE made a parody of Moves Like Jagger called "Douchebag Jagr" ...personally, I like it better than the real thing lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeubNUnor8U

Fake Mario does have a less annoying singing voice than Adam Levine. Besides, Mick Jagger was never a particularly good dancer.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Fake Mario does have a less annoying singing voice than Adam Levine. Besides, Mick Jagger was never a particularly good dancer.

(I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure the song's NOT about dance moves...)

I think that a player like Jagr should be respected by Pittsburgh, even if he signed with Philly once... He meant a lot to that franchise and should be honored with a retired number... and it should be in Pittsburgh Gold...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

(I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure the song's NOT about dance moves...)

I think that a player like Jagr should be respected by Pittsburgh, even if he signed with Philly once... He meant a lot to that franchise and should be honored with a retired number... and it should be in Pittsburgh Gold...

It's not JUST because he went to Philly...Jagr has torn our hearts out a few times.

We booed him since he demanded a trade to Washington. He was the captain of a team in the midst of the second-longest-running playoff streak in the NHL. It was a franchise that went from a joke to being legit, all in the span of his career. He said he was "dying alive in Pittsbooourgh", and so we traded him for Kris Beech, Ross Lupaschuk, and Michael Sivek (who?, who?, and who? is the correct response). His leaving began the slide to the bottom, selling off players until Dick Tarnstrom was our leading scorer...who then went to Edmonton and couldn't crack their top 6 defensemen. 

AND THEN, when the entire city (save a few bitter folks like myself) were willing to let bygons be bygons and welcomed home the prodigal son, who was talking about playing for the league minimum salary as a favor to Mario and because he wanted to come home, and we were all sorts of happy and proud...and then he decided to throw all of that away for, like, $50k more. And not just to any team for that minuscule pay raise, but to arch rival Philadelphia! He didn't just break our hearts, he ripped it out and skated over it. 

Oh no, it's not just because he went to Philly...or to Washington...it's HOW it happened, not just what happened. 

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

"Dick Tarnstrom" has to be like the most randomly-generated-sounding name ever. Of course he'd be the one to lead Pittsburgh in scoring when they were at death's door.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/17/2016 at 10:00 PM, Gold Pinstripes said:

We're going to have to disagree here, in the context of the NHL, 4 Cups in 50 years is a very significant achievement. Only six other teams have exceeded Pittsburgh's total, and five of those are Original Six teams. Those clubs had a roughly 40 year head start, yet the Pens have already equaled the Rangers output, and are just two away from Boston and Chicago. We should also remember those Expansion Six teams had none of the advantages of modern NHL expansion. All they had were the Original Six castoffs, and this was before the Eastern European talent was available.

You make a lot of good points, but to act like the modern expansion teams had it so good is a little bit of a joke, especially the last four. The talent pool was so watered down by that point that they got a lot of garbage players. Only five 2nd round appearances between the four of them, and only a single conference championship series appearance, with no Cup finals appearances. And the Columbus and Atlanta/Winnipeg franchises have, what, 2 playoffs appearances each, IIRC? And I think they've all been first round outs.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The Flyers won consecutive Cup's in 1974and 1975 - seven and eight years removed from their expansion season.

The Islanders won four consecutive Cups from 1980 - 1983 - again eight years removed from their 1972 expansion season.

As a long time hockey fan both teams were built by brilliant GMs in Keith Allen and Bill Torrey... and IMO, had little to do with garbage players available and much more to do with working the system that's in place and making astute draft choices such as: Bobby Clarke and Denis Potvin and finding gems like Bernie Parent and Billy Smith. As opposed to Flyers/Isles, teams like the Oakland Seals and Atlanta Flames did not take advantage of the system in place and quickly evaporated into defunct franchises.

Today, I would assume building an expansion team (here comes the Las Vegas team) is more complicated by the salary cap... but on the flip side there's so much more talent available due to the international scope of the game. 

We meet again...

Toronto-Maple-Leafs-Authentic-Home-Jerse

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived