NHL Tweaks - Minnesota and Ottawa Added

SFGiants58

When the Minnesota Wild released their stadium series uniform, I thought it could be the excellent basis for a new set. I removed the white yoke (which really doesn't look good for the Wild, no matter the precedent), used the red number/white outline arrangement, and added the stripes to the pants. The white version has a green yoke, for better color balance.

The other change I made will probably be controversial, namely the removal of the wheat color. I like the way in which the green and red contrast with each other, and I've always felt that the wheat color muddied it up. White makes it look sharper to me. It may be a departure from tradition for the team, but I think it works.

22429055190_f4f10fda20_b.jpg

This may be the first of a new series for me. C+C is greatly appreciated!

I love cream (referred to as wheat here), and I thought that I would hate this when I heard you got rid of it, but it actually isn't bad. Nice work.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

• 2 months later...

Well, it's official - I'm making this a series of some NHL ideas!

First up, I've revised the Wild concept to be a little more colorful. I still kept wheat out of the color scheme (as I'm not particularly fond of it), but I added yellow into the striping. I got the idea from the late '90's Seattle Supersonics uniforms (a look that was a bit inappropriate for the Sonics, but still good looking). It also helps to tie the team into the North Stars, without going kelly green/athletic gold. The striping now adds a shock of color to the drabness of the current set, with additional striping in the road yoke (going for a '70's St. Louis Blues style). The number font is the Maple Leafs' current block font, as I don't like the current Wild block font, and the old font didn't go with the new striping.

25469102780_95da774035_b.jpg

I've also got a simple tweak of the Philadelphia Flyers!

When they fully converted over to their retro set, I think the Flyers threw the baby out with the bathwater. While it got them out of their Edge monstrosities, it also eliminated various improvements to the Flyers' classic look. Things like numbers within the shoulder/sleeve stripes, black outlines on the striping, and that cool NOB font went away. I sought to merge the current look with some of the better elements of the 1980's-2007 identity, so that the team could look its best. I added black outlining to the shoulder/sleeve stripes and hem stripes, resized the shoulder/sleeve stripes to fully encase the TV numbers, brought back the old NOB font, redid the collar striping (for a bit of an '80's Kings look), and removed the black nameplate on the road (to make the retro tribute more appropriate). Now, the Flyers can have a classic look, without any of the problems of the current set.

23600561710_f5def46442_b.jpg'

C+C is greatly appreciated!

I think your first Wild set is vastly superior to the update and just about perfect.  My only complaint is the removal of 'wheat' in it's entirety.  While I like that it isn't incorporated into the striping, I wish it wasn't removed from the logo.

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 1:16 PM, SFGiants58 said:

When the Minnesota Wild released their stadium series uniform, I thought it could be the excellent basis for a new set. I removed the white yoke (which really doesn't look good for the Wild, no matter the precedent), used the red number/white outline arrangement, and added the stripes to the pants. The white version has a green yoke, for better color balance.

The other change I made will probably be controversial, namely the removal of the wheat color. I like the way in which the green and red contrast with each other, and I've always felt that the wheat color muddied it up. White makes it look sharper to me. It may be a departure from tradition for the team, but I think it works.

22429055190_f4f10fda20_b.jpg

This may be the first of a new series for me. C+C is greatly appreciated!

Pretty solid design for the Wild. Prefer this version over your more recent revision of the design.

• 2 months later...

Here's a little something I cooked up a while back.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

This isn't going to be a tough one to explain. The Orca and the "Vancouver" script are finally put to pasture, with full-body Johnny Canuck taking their place! Also, the Skatin' Johnnies now have angular sleeve stripes (to tie in with the "V" shape of the 1970's-80's uniform sets and the Millionaires' crest) with more consistent stripe thickness, and the number font is now the Capitals' throwback font with a green outline (a nice little way to get more green in the set, and dump that overused Agency font).

27207719061_6232d82878_b.jpg

Canucks look nice. I feel like the logo on its own may or may not work. I'm torn, but maybe it needs to be within a shield, or roundel, I dunno. Love what you did on the away hem though. Balances the jersey well. 

Smaller detail, but I'd just use a regular block font like they used to. That one, to me, is associated with Chicago and NYI. 

Thanks for the C+C, I really appreciate it. Here are a few quickies:

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

I'm happy with the Devils' current set, but it's not entirely untouchable. I outlined the shoulder yokes, and restored the red/green-era pants stripes. While pants stripes may bring them a little too close to the Blackhawks, I think the large amount of black on the sweaters will offset that.

26851200413_960ec20845_b.jpg

ANAHEIM DUCKS

My goal here was to give them a color scheme more in line with the original forest green/orange/bronze proposal for the rebrand. I decided to modify the third sweater's template, replaced black with dark green and bronze with athletic gold in the color scheme, demoted the Mighty Ducks logo to the shoulders and pants (without the triangle behind it), and recolored the "D-foot" to work within the new color scheme. It may be a little controversial, but it's a nice way to have another team with a more unique color scheme in the league.

27424195786_0102297e43_b.jpg

LOS ANGELES KINGS

This one is nothing new. I simply promoted the crown to primary status, made the Stadium Series "LA" a full-time alternate logo, ditched the piping, and added a hem stripe to the home sweater and a pants stripe. This updates keeps the Kings' most successful color scheme, fonts, and crown logo around while dumping less desirable elements associated with their current set.

26851202653_bd04d996aa_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little something I've had waiting in the wings.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Consider this my proposal on how the Penguins should go about updating their back-to-back Cup set, while avoiding the color balance troubles present in those sets (which the Edge adaptation aggravated).

I've evened out the striping widths on the sleeves and hems, for consistency's sake and so that there would be no "floating" stripe on the road uniform. This also kills off the over-sized yellow hem stripe present on the Edge adaptation. I did add a bit of black under the main hem stripe of the road sweater, to match the cuffs/give the illusion of a straight hem (in a manner similar to the St. Louis Blues). The pants stripe now reflects the sleeve stripes of the home sweater, instead of the big yellow blob present on the current throwback. I switched the color balance of the numbers on the home sweater, with white numbers and athletic gold outlines. I kept the number font, as it's a nice modern block font that looks less clunky than the throwback font. There's no alternate mark, aside from the 1990's wordmark (cleaned up to be a two-color wordmark).

27644922281_f075dfef89_b.jpg

I'm glad black/athletic gold is coming back, but I would like it if the back-to-back Cup set had some minor updates before it returned to the ice. C+C is greatly appreciated! 

All of these are fantastic, but if I can throw in my 2 cents:

Devils- the fine tuning made their already great set even better,

Kings- you fixed their ``so close yet so far`` template (terrible arm stripes and no hem stripe on the home and put the crown back up front, which is BY FAR superior to the banner as far as the front of a jersey. If they were wearing these, they`d be top 7 or 8 in the league. 

Penguins- like the Kings, you fixed what was wrong with their unis. 

Flyers- nice tweak. 

Canucks- I`ve never been a fan of Johnny Canuck as a primary, but that`s just one man`s opinion. The jerseys are great. 

Wild- I prefer the original to the update. like the refinement and consistency. I agree that although the cream is nice, the white pops much more. With that being said, the update has it`s advantages as well. I like the yellow. 

Ducks- I`ve always been an advocate for a dark green in place of black, so nice job there. Something else feels off, maybe the orange is too bright...I can`t quite place my finger on it. 

All in all, great work...

sig.png

3 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Ducks- I`ve always been an advocate for a dark green in place of black, so nice job there. Something else feels off, maybe the orange is too bright...I can`t quite place my finger on it. 

All in all, great work...

I think that is if not the best Ducks concept seen by me. But just like tigerslionspistons... elluded to, something is off but I think it's the bright yellow. Maybe swapping that with a gold (vegas or plain gold)

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Archived