Arizona Diamondbacks Fix

davidmiller5

When the Diamondbacks unveiled their new uniforms, and I--like most of you--was not a fan of what they did. I was surprised, however, when I read the comments on Paul Lukas's critical article about them on espn.com: a majority of the comments were very supportive of the new uniforms and were very critical of Lukas's opinions. It was very interesting to me to see the difference in how these boards at CCSLC viewed the uniforms from how those who post on espn.com view them. It reminded me that we tend to dislike bizarre new uniforms while the (young) general public who post on espn.com (and don't think about uniforms as much as we do) embrace them. And we have to realize that we who notice uniforms to the degree we do are a very small minority of total fans, and the number one goal of these redesigns is to sell merchandise.

Anyhow, I decided to try to "fix" the new Diamondbacks uniforms. The goal was to take what they did and make it more palatable. If I would have been hired by the D-backs to design their uniforms, they would not look like this; but my goal for this project was to take what they unveiled and improve it. Many of you will think it is like putting lipstick on a pig, but I enjoyed the challenge. I took inspiration from Brandon Moore's Fix-It-Friday series that took current looks and tried to improve them while staying true to the original vision of the club.

What I Like

• The decision to try something new. They--along with the Rockies, Rays, and Marlins--don't have long histories and can get away with looking for unique and modern elements. (I have no problem with the Marlins redesign for this reason...not the biggest fan of how it looks, but I can appreciate with what they are trying to do.)

The snake-head logo. I loved that they brought this guy back from their first look.

• The dark gray road uniforms. When I first saw them they were presented on a black background, and I thought they looked like a mess. Seeing it away from the black backgrounds really helps these; I like the darker color and think it will look good on a ball diamond. I especially like how the turquoise on the alternate pops; this is my favorite jersey of the bunch. The turquoise would look muddled on a standard gray.

What I Don't Like

• The different color schemes. How can you effectively build a brand if you can't even decide what colors you want to wear. Arizona is now a black, turquoise, and red team some days and on others say they are a black, red, and sand team. Pick one. This seems to be terrible branding to me. If your fans can't tell you what your colors are, that's a problem. I went with red, black, turquoise, and silver. The sand color did not work with the turquoise, but I needed another accent color to balance out the brightness of the red and turquoise. The fans seem to really embrace the turquoise, and it is unique. They can build a unique brand with this unique color scheme.

• The truncated pant stripe. Why, oh why? This is just awful.

What I Like But Don't Like

• The snakeskin. I like the idea, but the execution is off. The pattern looks nice and I like that they tried something new, but the different colored shoulders look bad...is that dandruff? And it's also under the armpit and on the pants. Even the execution on the alternate hats isn't really good.

• The wordmarks. They are an improvement over the last set, and I especially like the Arizona mark. But there are issues with the D-backs mark. First of all, I'm not a fan of using a shortened version of your team name on your uniforms. The problem is Diamondbacks is too long, but D-backs is too informal for a jersey. Then again, these jerseys aren't the most professional to begin with, so I decided to leave it on my redesign. I'm also not a fan of the K; it looks like an H. Again, in the end, I decided to leave it as is, though. My last issue with this mark is that the K has a fang, but there is only one. The Arizona mark has two fangs--as any good rattlesnake has. The D-backs mark is unbalanced. I did fix this is my redesign; here is my updated mark:

new%20dbacks%20script.png

As you can see, I fanged the B to make the mark balanced.

My Fix

Logos

new%20logos.png

I did make some subtle changes to the D-Snake logo. I made the negative-space diamondback pattern on his back pointed instead of rounded.

Hats

new%20hats.png

As you can see, I kept the halftone diamond pattern, but I started it on the bill instead of the panels of the cap. This way they take a common baseball look (the contrasting bill) and make it their own. The halftone pattern would continue a short ways onto the panels of the cap.

Uniforms

new%20home%20pres.png

new%20road%20pres1.png

I liked the more subtle sublimated diamond pattern on the alternate home and road sets, but I don't like the abrupt end to it at the shoulders. I decided to have the high density part of the pattern be in the middle of the back instead of the top so that there wouldn't be the abrupt division between the lighter and darker colors.

I did begrudgingly keep the weird pant pattern. I'm not a fan, but I decided I would prioritize changing some other things instead of that. I only wanted to change a few things. As you can see, I did add the pattern to the socks; if anyone wears high-cuffed pants, they should still rock the pattern. The team would match their shoes to the color of the pattern on the pants (or socks).

They can also match the four hats (not the snake-head hat) and undershirts, belts, and socks for diversity.

Alternate Uniforms

new%20red%20pres.png

new%20black%20raglan%20pres.png

I decided to go with the D-backs script on the black alternates because I love how the turquoise looks on the black, and the black alternate they use would minimize the turquoise.

I used the diamond pattern they currently use but flipped it. Now it takes a look we have seen before--contrasting colored sleeves with a vest--and makes it their own.

The snake-head hat can be worn with the alternates.

As a reminder, this is their look:

lvuniforms5s-4-web.jpg

As I said earlier, if I were starting from scratch, this would not be my suggestions, but I do think that it greatly improves their look. If you have interest, you can check out my redesign of the Diamondbacks when I combined their previous eras. I used a black and aqua color scheme, and then I experimented with purple and red.

award%20sig.png

Snakeskin on jersey- use the placement form the red and black jerseys for the rest of the jerseys

^^^ I agree.

The weird thing on the back of the white jersey (I would imagine) look like sweat.

I love the rest of it!!

tinysig.jpg

I've been looking forward to this, David. Good work as usual--I think you're close but not quite there just yet.

First off, while I like the changes you made to the "D-BACKS" wordmark, I would drop it altogether and replace it with the "A" logo on the chest of the home and home alternate. Enough has been said on these forums about how cringeworthy the nickname "D-Backs" is and what makes it worse is that the organization insists on plastering it all over their uniforms. Dropping the nickname would also necessitate that you replace it with an "ARIZONA" wordmark on the road jersey which is an easy fix.

Other than that, I really like what you've done here.

Nice work. I like how the teal complements the red, and I like where you moved the gradient, from the top of the hat to the brim. I also like the fact that the snakeskin pattern is a similar color to the actual uniform, creating a less eye-hurting design. Good work.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I think there's too many pants. I understand why you have each option, but I think you should stick with two, maybe three.The problem you would see is players accidentally wearing the wrong pants in a game, then somebody taking a screenshot and sending it to Paul Lukas, who would then write ESPN articles about it. I don't really want to feed that guy's ego, do you?

Aside from that, it is certainly an upgrade from what they currently have. Good work!

Put Arizona on the road

[...] replace it with an "ARIZONA" wordmark on the road jersey which is an easy fix.

Oops. The road jersey was supposed to have the Arizona wordmark. I must have forgotten to switch the visible layers. I have updated the OP (and it is posted here as well for those who don't want to scroll back up).

new%20road%20pres1.png

award%20sig.png

Snakeskin on jersey- use the placement form the red and black jerseys for the rest of the jerseys

^^^ I agree.

The weird thing on the back of the white jersey (I would imagine) look like sweat.

I love the rest of it!!

Hmm. I like the more sublimated design on the home and road jerseys more than the pattern-on-the-sleeve look. Soccer kits use sublimation quite frequently, and it doesn't get comments about it looking like sweat. Is it because sublimation hasn't appeared on a MLB jersey before, or is it the execution of it?

I think there's too many pants. I understand why you have each option, but I think you should stick with two, maybe three.The problem you would see is players accidentally wearing the wrong pants in a game, then somebody taking a screenshot and sending it to Paul Lukas, who would then write ESPN articles about it. I don't really want to feed that guy's ego, do you?

Aside from that, it is certainly an upgrade from what they currently have. Good work!

Of course there are too many pants! And we don't need to give Lukas anything else to write about, but it wasn't one of the things that I felt needed to be changed with their design.

Gosh those colors dont work well together, but the unis you created for that combo make it tolerable.

I'll take the compliment embedded in that. Thanks.

Nice work. I like how the teal complements the red, and I like where you moved the gradient, from the top of the hat to the brim. I also like the fact that the snakeskin pattern is a similar color to the actual uniform, creating a less eye-hurting design. Good work.

Thanks.

It's a definite improvement, but I still think that brick red and teal is a terrible color combination. No change in the design can fix that.

Fair enough.

I would make the bottom number and the nameplate match the rest of the elements

Put Arizona on the road

I wanted to keep the differing color nameplate and number from their primary jerseys. I like the look, and it helps with color balance.

award%20sig.png

I like what you've done. I'm curious to know if you considered any other options for the road script color other than black? I find it hard to read the black letters against the charcoal roads.

I considered red, but I think the black looks good with the turquoise trim; the trim really pops between the black (and silver) and dark gray. When the number is red, it muddles the turquoise.

I've been looking forward to this, David. Good work as usual--I think you're close but not quite there just yet.

First off, while I like the changes you made to the "D-BACKS" wordmark, I would drop it altogether and replace it with the "A" logo on the chest of the home and home alternate. Enough has been said on these forums about how cringeworthy the nickname "D-Backs" is and what makes it worse is that the organization insists on plastering it all over their uniforms. Dropping the nickname would also necessitate that you replace it with an "ARIZONA" wordmark on the road jersey which is an easy fix.

Other than that, I really like what you've done here.

Yeah, that pesky D-backs moniker. I'm not a fan on jerseys, but they have fully embraced it. As I said above, I decided to leave it because they are so intent on using it. But putting Arizona on the black alt. makes a lot of sense. Here it is:

new%20black%20raglan%20pres2.png

Here is the home uniform you suggested:

new%20home%20pres1.png

I like it, but I'm not sure it fits in with the rest of the uniforms. I tried a version with the sleeve pattern from the alternates (like several of you wanted). What do all of you think?

new%20home%20pres2.png

The D-backs mark will stay on the red alternate. The logo gets swallowed up on the red background.

award%20sig.png

That new home update with the "A" on the chest is perfection! Worn with the black cap, that should be their home uniform, hands down. Not sure I like it with the sleeve patterns, but it was worth a shot.

Agree with everything said here.

My issues lie with the alternates. I think you should put the A logo on at least one of them.

Also, I think the teal numbers look out of place as the actual number color - try restricting it to an outline.

But still, awesome job here!

spacer.png

• 1 year later...

Archived