Renaming the Big Ten

Tygers09

Since the conference when from 10 teams to 14, shouldn't the conference name be changed? Here are some my suggestions:

North East Conference or NEC for short

Great Lakes Conference GLC for short

Yeah you could call it the Big 14 or if they added 2 more schools, call it the Big 16, but Big 10 to me just sounds redundant or futile.

Since the conference when from 10 teams to 14, shouldn't the conference name be changed? Here are some my suggestions:

North East Conference or NEC for short

Great Lakes Conference GLC for short

Yeah you could call it the Big 14 or if they added 2 more schools, call it the Big 16, but Big 10 to me just sounds redundant or futile.

No...

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Since the conference when from 10 teams to 14, shouldn't the conference name be changed?

Conference name accuracy has been irrelevant for years. Penn State was the Big Ten's eleventh team in 1990. The name hasn't needed any kind of change since then and it doesn't need one now.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The name "Big Ten" is rooted in tradition. Tradition is dead.

I think they should have changed it the moment Penn State entered. One that I cannot take credit for (and I think I heard on these boards) is "Great Lakes" (which I just noticed in the OP as well). Something like Great/Big Midwest? But there already was a Great Midwest basketball conference at some point.

I like Great Lakes because obviously the Great Lakes are near many of the schools and it's fairly accurate to the pre-Nebraska history.

From the OP, "Northeast Conference" I think already exists. Either way, that name tends to favor newer schools at the expense of charter members like Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.

Advantage "PAC" over "BIG"

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

They did rename it with their logo, although I think it was more serendipity than genius.

It's the B1G. Perfect for the shorthand of this era.

And they'll be all set when they add two more teams.

Seriously though, "Big Ten" is a brand that has more clout than anything new could. They are smart to stick with it.

They did rename it with their logo, although I think it was more serendipity than genious.

It's the B1G. Perfect for the shorthand of this era.

And they'll be all set when they add two more teams.

Seriously though, "Big Ten" is a brand that has more clout than anything new could. They are smart to stick with it.

The public will still call it Big Ten, for at least the next few generations, so there is little point in taking the brand equity away.

People still call Xfinity as "Comcast", call Macy's which ever department store it was before the nationwide change (Burdines, Lazarus, Famour-Barr, Foley's...), and still call Altria the old name, Phillip Morris, and that is a pretty toxic brand in every sense.

You can't really use a geographic term (e.g., "Great Lakes") for a conference that stretches from Pennsylvania to Nebraska.

Call them the "Great American Conference." That way when one of its teams gets beat in a bowl game you can yell, "GACK!"

Call them the ECHL.

/ducks

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Big Teen. That ought to remain accurate for a few more years.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You can't really use a geographic term (e.g., "Great Lakes") for a conference that stretches from New Jersey to Nebraska.

Call them the "Great American Conference." That way when one of its teams gets beat in a bowl game you can yell, "GACK!"

FYP.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

You can't really use a geographic term (e.g., "Great Lakes") for a conference that stretches from New Jersey to Nebraska.

FYP.

I forgot about Rutgers.

As do most of its graduates when approached by alumni fundraising committees.

nav-logo.png

I think it's a stupid name, regardless of tradition. However, I also can't think of any other possible name for it.

Explain how it was a stupid name when there actually was ten teams in the conference.

Simple, because there are currently more than ten teams in the conference. At the time it was obviously the choice, but they have fourteen teams now and it makes the name meaningless in my eyes.

Archived