Best Number in Each City

TheLAKnight

In cities with more than 1 team, numbers are going to be shared by players. What is the best number worn in each city? It may not be the best players of all time, but some really good ones or fan favorites.

For example, in Los Angeles, #32 seems to be worn by some of the best players to ever play for the Kings, Dodgers, Lakers, Clippers, and Raiders. Jonathan Quick, Sandy Koufax, Magic Johnson, Blake Griffin, and Marcus Allen have won a combined 11 championships, 7 finals MVPs, 5 season MVPs, and 31 All-Star Appearances as well as many other league specific accolades.

Jonathan_Quick2012finals_zps2nmdivek.jpgsandy-koufax-rejoins-dodgers_zpslf1afye2Magic%20Johnson%20Player_zpsskurfwtn.jpgBlake%20Griffin_zpsytbeu5qe.jpgMarcus%20Allen_zpsdeah69rg.jpg

Not much to say in Minnesota. 28 is Bert Blyleven and Adrian Peterson but nobody of consequence on either NHL franchise (or the Wolves). 10 is Gaborik, Fran Tarkenton, and MGR Tom Kelly. Gordie Roberts wore it for most of the 1980s with the North Stars. Also Wally Szerbiak, if that matters.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm stumped. Probably a matching number for a couple very good Toronto athletes, yet since it's not something off top of my head, our city submits an empty ballot.

12, 93, 17, 13, 29, 11, 31, 15, etc... 1 guy each.

Tony Fernandez & Tracy McGrady.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I'm stumped. Probably a matching number for a couple very good Toronto athletes, yet since it's not something off top of my head, our city submits an empty ballot.

93, 17, 13, 29, 11, 31, 15, etc... 1 guy each.

Same for Baltimore. Best I could probably do is 20 for Ed reed and Frank Robinson.

spacer.png

For Boston it would have to be #33, if you're going by ability and championships won.

Celtics: Larry Bird

Red Sox: Jason Varitek

Bruins: Zdeno Chara

I don't think the Patriots have had any player of significance wear #33.

#4 is a close second, but more for notoriety than championships

Bruins: Bobby Orr

Red Sox: Joe Cronin

Patriots: Adam Vinatieri

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'd go with 23 for Chicago.

You have arguably the NBA GOAT in Michael Jordan & a Cubs Hall of Famer in Ryne Sandberg. Both 23s retired for their teams. Jermaine Dye was the MVP when the White Sox ended their World Series drought. And Devin Hester was one of the best of all-time at his role for the Bears.

That leaves the Blackhawks, but someone else would need to weigh in on that.

Same for Baltimore. Best I could probably do is 20 for Ed reed and Frank Robinson.

Because I'm not up on my Leafs heritage #s, I missed Johnny Bower for #1. Looks like #1 is the winner by default.

Bower-Fernandez-McGrady-Prefontaine.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I would go with that or . . .

5 for Brooks Robinson and Joe Flacco.

19 for Johnny Unitas, Dave McNally and Chris Davis (and Ben McDonald and Scott Erickson).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived