SF Jim Tomsula: SAFE

STL Jeff Fisher: FIRED

TB Lovie Smith: SAFE

TEN Mike Mularkey: FIRED

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lurie says he didn't even offer Chip Kelly the chance to stay but not be GM. Said Chip walked in to the room and knew right away he was getting fired.

My interpretation was it was like the scene in Goodfellas where Joe Pesci opened the door to the room where he thought he was going to be "made".

Interesting comments (of the few things he said that were actually borderline interesting):

- won't give any coach GM responsibilities again.

- won't have a traditional GM. Will have a "collaborative" approach where coach and Tom Donahoe work together with former GM Howie Roseman. Donahoe will report to Roseman, so IMO that makes Roseman the GM. No word on if new coach will report to Roseman or directly to Lurie.

- (most intersting comment) - new coach must be able to "open his heart to his players", "relate to his players", and "display some level of emotional intelligence". This basically validates everything that the former players said about how Kelly wasn't a "human", wouldn't even say hi to players when he passed them in the hallway, never once asked any of them about anything personal, never would speak to them outside of practices / games, etc.

- backhandedly criticized the "sports science" stuff and indirectly said that Kelly's approach doesn't work with 22-35 year olds. Can't treat them the way he did, and can't subject them to all the tests and programs etc. that he did.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

With Black Monday a few days away, Ima decide who stays and goes:

CLE Mike Pettine: SAFE

DAL Jason Garrett: SAFE

DET Jim Caldwell: FIRED

IND Chuck Pagano: FIRED

MIA Dan Campbell: FIRED

NO Sean Payton: SAFE

NYG Tom Coughlin: FIRED

PHI Chip Kelly: ALREADY SH1TCANNED

SD Mike McCoy: FIRED

The Giants will not fire Coughlin, per se. They will announce he is retiring.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

- backhandedly criticized the "sports science" stuff and indirectly said that Kelly's approach doesn't work with 22-35 year olds. Can't treat them the way he did, and can't subject them to all the tests and programs etc. that he did.

I was kinda getting at this in the NBA uniform thread where I've been talking about what a bunch of dongs the 76ers are, but have you started to feel, as I have, that the field of professional sports has kind of outsmarted itself in recent years?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was kinda getting at this in the NBA uniform thread where I've been talking about what a bunch of dongs the 76ers are, but have you started to feel, as I have, that the field of professional sports has kind of outsmarted itself in recent years?

I don't think about it that much, but I guess I have noticed that GMs used to be fat ex-players who were "FOOTBALL!" guys, and are now poindexters who worked their way up from the accounting department who are good with "analytics" and salary caps. Chip's science routine was one step below Ivan Drago's training program. Whatever happened to just being good at football?

Now there's LCSWs claiming that Chip has aspergers and that's why he can't look people in the eye and why he pretends nobody is in the room when his players are standing right next to him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

With Black Monday a few days away, Ima decide who stays and goes:

CLE Mike Pettine: SAFE

DAL Jason Garrett: SAFE

DET Jim Caldwell: FIRED

IND Chuck Pagano: FIRED

MIA Dan Campbell: FIRED

NO Sean Payton: SAFE

NYG Tom Coughlin: FIRED

SD Mike McCoy: FIRED

The Giants will not fire Coughlin, per se. They will announce he is retiring.

If not for all the last-minute meltdowns (some out of Coughlin's control), the Giants could've been a ten-win team this year. Regardless, two Lombardis should earn a coach more than four years of decent mediocrity (ala Shanahan in Denver). I'd like to see Coughlin stick around for another year, but it's New York. Expectations and media pressure are always sky high.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm kind of shocked the Eagles fired Kelly this soon. Now there's the question of who replaces him. In house replacement? Sean Payton (possibly bringing Brees with him)? Kyle Shanahan finally getting his shot as a head coach?

I know some are saying Sean Payton and Drew Brees to Philadelphia but a dark horse coaching candidate might be, K.C. Keeler. He may not have NFL experience, let alone D-IA (FBS) experience and Lurie might shy away from a second straight HC with no experience after Chip Kelly.

However, Keeler is that hometown guy ( Emmaus, PA) and is no-nonsense guy but treats his players as human beings. I would say Keeler knows the and probably could handle the passionate and volatile nature of many Eagles fans than most. Of course Keeler seems happy and Sam Houston, so...

(Yes, I’ve been thinking a little too hard - that’s never good) :)

CLE Mike Pettine: Fired.
DAL Jason Garrett: Safe.
DET Jim Caldwell: Safe.
IND Chuck Pagano: Should be safe due to the circumstances dealt out, but probably fired.
MIA Dan Campbell: Not retained as head coach. Maybe sticks around for new regime.
NO Sean Payton: Dumb as hell if they fire him. Probably resigns.
NYG Tom Coughlin: "Mutually agree to part ways" or forced resignation. Maybe sticks around as some sort of advisor.
SD Mike McCoy: Fired.
SF Jim Tomsula: Dunno what their expectations were. Should be safe because 1 year isn't enough.
STL Jeff Fisher: Safe, considering what all they're going through. Has experience in a team relocating.
TB Lovie Smith: Safe.
TEN Mike Mularkey: Not retained as head coach. Could see scenario where front office/owner wants Mariota to have same offense in Year 2 as his rookie year, in which they retain as OC.

CLE Mike Pettine: Canned.

DAL Jason Garrett: Canned.

IND Chuck Pagano: Canned.

MIA: Dan Campbell: Safe but on a VERY short leash next season.

NO Sean Payton: Safe.

NYG Tom Coughlin: "mutually agree to part ways"

SD Mike McCoy: Canned.

SF Jim Tomsula: Jed York will keep him but somehow insult him so much that Tomsula resigns.

STL Jeff Fisher: Safe.

TEN Mike Mularkey: Safe unless Kelly comes around and further buries the franchise.

spacer.png

CLE Mike Pettine: Canned.

DAL Jason Garrett: Canned.

IND Chuck Pagano: Canned.

MIA: Dan Campbell: Safe but on a VERY short leash next season.

NO Sean Payton: Safe.

NYG Tom Coughlin: "mutually agree to part ways"

SD Mike McCoy: Canned.

SF Jim Tomsula: Jed York will keep him but somehow insult him so much that Tomsula resigns.

STL Jeff Fisher: Safe.

TEN Mike Mularkey: Safe unless Kelly comes around and further buries the franchise.

Dan Campbell will not be hired as HC for Miami.

Jason Garrett will not be fired unless Sean Peyton is a free agent and Jerry knows he will agree since Peyton has a home in Westlake.

EDIT: Stephen Jones said Garrett will return.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/01/01/report-jason-garretts-job-safe-says-stephen-jones-one-bad-season-faze-cowboys

Malarkey is out as interim and the GM Ruston Webster could be out too

Figured this could be splintered off. If mods aren't satisfied, lock until ... tomorrow or something? There should be a playoffs thread, I assume, so let this be for us poor non-playoff chumps.

Here's the deal with coaches as of 8:30AM CT on 1/3/16:

FIRED

• Dolphins GM Dan Hickey & HC Dan Philpin
  • Eagles HC Chip Kelly
  • Titans HC Ken Wisenhunt

TO BE FIRED

• Colts HC Chuck Pagano
  • Browns GM Ed Farmer & HC Mike Pettine
  • 49ers HC Jim Tomsula

ALLEGEDLY SAFE (or at least not fired)

• Cowboys HC Jason Garrett
  • Saints HC Sean Payton
  • Chargers HC Mike McCoy

Browns are going to likely fire Farmer/Pettine tonight after games are done. Browns, Eagles both apparently horny for Bears OC Adam Gase.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Lions' ownership supports HC Jim Caldwell and plans to retain him, per sources. But Lions also expected to leave final decision to new GM.

Y2lxt.gif

49ers expect to retain Trent Baalke (sp) and fire Tomsula today/tomorrow.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So I think I ask this every year, but I'm more interested this year since "my" team is looking for a coach.

1. Why is it that the "hot coordinators" always seem to be considered the best candidates for HC jobs? I am not sure how being an OC on a good team qualifies you to be a HC, since as we have seen in the past, the skill set required to be in charge of the whole operation is way different than the skill set required to call plays. That doesn't mean that there aren't coordinators that are qualified, but I'm not sure why everyone simply looks to what teams have good offenses or defenses and thinks that those coordinators would be good HCs.

2. I don't get the whole "should they hire an offensive HC or a defensive HC?" question. I think any coach at the level at which they're being considered for a HC job should understand both offense and defense, and it's not like they're also the coordinator. I think a good HC is more of a people leader and manager than a strategist. A good leader knows to surround himself with good people (i.e. assistant coaches) and allow them to do their jobs, while stepping in where necessary to make sure things are working.

3. Not really a question, but I'm sick and tired of hearing about what "system" a new coach is going to implement. Here's a system for you - get good football players, call good football plays, and just be good at football. I'm sick of hearing about "west coast", "tempo", "zone read", etc. - what ever happened to just being good? After decades of watching "system" football, I'm convinced that any team can beat any other if they just have good players and call plays that maximize those players' strengths, rather than having a system and trying to find players to match the system.

Basically - adapt your "system" to your players, not your players to your stupid system.

Archived