College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Tuesday, March 01, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Huntr said:

Noticed several Michigan players wearing Nike shoes during the Spring practice in Florida whereas Adidas is still under contract with them? Maybe they can't wait getting rid of the

Adidas?

CcZnMR5UUAAFTUX.jpg:large

Kent State is doing the same. UA for the players but Nike gear still being worn by the coaches. They haven't released new uniforms yet.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Uniforms are a downgrade, having no stripes make them boring. Also, OSU only needs two helmets, classic white and maybe they can get away with an orange helmet. And get rid of all the chrome nonsense, it's not 2012.

Not really a huge fan of this change. Oklahoma State had some of the better uniform combinations in college football when they went with Black Helmets or white helmets, orange jerseys and black or white pants with orange pants on the road. These new jerseys are alright. They remind me a lot of Oregon State pre-Nike redesign. The pattern is pretty cool but isn't as good looking as the stripes were. Number font is something I wouldn't call an upgrade from their old font. The sooner words on football pants die out the better. 

Nothing was really wrong with their old set   (aside from the orange numbers on black jersey, they should've been white) until they started needlessly adding helmets. I'm hoping that they will have at least one helmet with the OSU logo on it but they seem to prefer oversized Pete for whatever reason. Traded in a top tier set for this middle of the road one. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Oklahoma State, "Built For the Future"

not really. it's not a timeless design by any means; it's built for right now. which is fine, i think overall the uniforms grade out to about a C+. i do love the Paisley collar art, the Marshall badge on the collar point, and their colors are always nice. i will definitely miss the stripes because they had some of the best stripe design in all of football, but if you want to change the design and build it around the Paisley pattern, the stripes might be a bit much. 

absolutely despise the helmets. the chrome finish is the worst, but then you have the oversized awful Cowboy logo, and a stripe that just feels out of place, no matter what "story" they want to add to it. having a wordmark on the pants isn't terrible, but to spell out "Cowboys", when they have a cowboy on the helmet seems redundant and i'd much rather see an OSU mark on the hip. all i see of the new typeface is 1, 3, and 4 but even from that i can see it's very awkward, but no one expects good Nike number fonts. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I want to like the collar, the bandanna design, but it's a bit too busy. Maybe it won't be so loud on the field? Just a bit too busy in the trim and too plain the rest of the way. I liked the striping they used previously. Something simple and unique, and it's gone.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

My favorite thing about the new set is the marshal badge. Nice touch. The pattern is a little much for my taste. It feels gimmicky, but it probably won't be very noticeable when you're watching them play on TV. As others have mentioned, I'll miss the striping as well. 

I was hoping to see some new helmets with the unveil. All of these were worn last year. My guess is that these are just the team-favorites that they went with for the photoshoot. Last season, they used about 10 different combinations of helmet colors and decals. I think we'll continue to see the 'OSU brand' logo on the helmets as part of the rotation. 

One thing of note: the 'Cowboys' lettering on the pants is reflective -- as is the number trim on the black jerseys. My guess is they were trying to tie in the chrome helmets with the uniforms. 

More pics:

NVrHLnJ.png

6M95xCg.png

The only pic I can find of the number font. 

info-font.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I LOVE the Paisley on the uniform. Restrained enough to where it doesn't look absolutely ridiculous IMO. The helmet on the other hand.... *insert picture of an absolute train wreck here* They could've gone with a much more traditional, restrained helmet and the whole look would have improved dramatically.

30 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

My favorite thing about the new set is the marshal badge. Nice touch. The pattern is a little much for my taste. It feels gimmicky, but it probably won't be very noticeable when you're watching them play on TV. As others have mentioned, I'll miss the striping as well. 

I was hoping to see some new helmets with the unveil. All of these were worn last year. My guess is that these are just the team-favorites that they went with for the photoshoot. Last season, they used about 10 different combinations of helmet colors and decals. I think we'll continue to see the 'OSU brand' logo on the helmets as part of the rotation. 

One thing of note: the 'Cowboys' lettering on the pants is reflective -- as is the number trim on the black jerseys. My guess is they were trying to tie in the chrome helmets with the uniforms. 

More pics:

NVrHLnJ.png

6M95xCg.png

The only pic I can find of the number font. 

info-font.jpg

To me the marshal's badge reeks of design overkill. Sure there are cowboys that are lawmen but as history frequently teaches us there are ample examples spanning a couple centuries of cowboys deliberately choosing the wrong side of the law. Throw in the excessive chrome and silver/gray it appears that ok state is going for more of an outlaw biker vibe so why bother including a badge?

2 minutes ago, guest23 said:

To me the marshal's badge reeks of design overkill. Sure there are cowboys that are lawmen but as history frequently teaches us there are ample examples spanning a couple centuries of cowboys deliberately choosing the wrong side of the law. Throw in the excessive chrome and silver/gray it appears that ok state is going for more of an outlaw biker vibe so why bother including a badge?

It has less to do with the name 'Cowboys' and more to do with a particular cowboy -- their mascot. Pistol Pete is based on the legend of Frank Eaton. He was a famous gunslinger who served as a U.S. deputy marshal and a sheriff. 

The badge was their take on the U.S. Marshal badge, as a way of honoring Eaton.
213px-US_Marshal_Badge.pnginfo-badge.jpg

Some blurbs on the legend of Frank Eaton from Wikipedia:

When Eaton was eight years old, his father, a Vigilante, was shot in cold blood by six former Confederates. In 1868, Mose Beaman, his father's friend, said to Frank, "My boy, may an old man's curse rest upon you, if you do not try to avenge your father". That same year, Mose taught him to handle a gun, but it would take 19 years for Frank to avenge his father.

At the age of fifteen, before setting off on his mission to avenge his father's death, he decided to visit Fort Gibson, Oklahoma, a cavalry fort, to learn more about how to handle a gun. Although too young to join the army, he outshot everyone at the fort and competed with the cavalry's best marksmen, beating them every time. After many competitions, the fort's commanding officer, Colonel Copinger, gave Frank a marksmanship badge and a new nickname. From that day forward, Frank would be known as "Pistol Pete."

During his teen years, Eaton was reputed to be faster on the draw than Buffalo Bill. From his first days as a lawman, he was said to "pack the fastest guns in the Indian Territory." By the end of his career, Eaton would allegedly have eleven notches on his gun.

He began serving in Indian Territory as a Deputy U.S. Marshal at the age of seventeen. Eaton's territory extended from southern Kansas to northern Texas. He would later say that from the start of his career as a lawman he began tracking down his father's killers, claiming that by 1887 he had killed five of them, and that the sixth only escaped his gun by being shot by someone in a dispute over a game of cards.

Eaton would serve as either a marshal, a sheriff or a deputy sheriff until late in life. 

He was also known to throw a coin in the air, draw and shoot it before it hit the ground. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Eaton

839467a94f923f5971bed668956fb6a9.jpg

FWIW, there is also somewhat of a precedent for using it -- they've used a similar badge in bowl games as their captain's patch. Justin+Blackmon+Tostitos+Fiesta+Bowl+Sta

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Take the old uniforms with the great stripes, use the new number font, use a custom chest wordmark rather than the Nike team catalog font, maybe add the paisley trim. Limit the helmets to the white and matte black with no striping. Mix and match. Done. New ones are a downgrade.

The "bandana" effect on the collar absolutely works. I know there's a lot going on here and chrome is annoying, but the actual branding done here is phenomenal. It will come down to how often they wear the solid white helmet for some people..but...honestly...with the way the patterns on the black bands are gray, chrome will go really well. I don't know...we worship the calculator font on these boards. I think this is the best, most unique look for Oklahoma State since then. 

Archived