College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

Your statement proves my point. The competitive advantage is now gone and the ducks have reverted to the mean. Success in the long term is much more tied to recruiting and talent development than running a high school offense really really fast. It was foolish to think that their window of success could be sustained in the long term.

Also doesn't help that the conference has gotten a lot better since Chip Kelly coached.  The influx of media money allowed other teams to hire better coaches and improve their facilities, which in turn has improved their recruiting classes.  Those helped close the gap on Oregon, as have their high turnover rate at certain coaching positions and the final two recruiting classes that Chip was heavily involved in being full of busts and transfers that is making them rebuild with FR and SO getting major minutes for the first time.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living in Eugene, I wish I had a dime this year for every time I've heard somebody say something like:

"Well, you know, I was always a bigger Duck basketball fan anyway..."

"We're gonna make College World Series this next year..."

"Everyone knows that statistically, the ladies' track team is the best sport..."

My Facebook feed is RIDDLED with comments like that every Saturday night.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

kent state vs ohio.jpg

Kent State Lightning Bolt helmets vs Ohio.Helmet is a good look but clashes with the cap sleeves and no white on the jerseys. Kent should go back to the Eric Wilkerson helmets and updated Geno Baker lightning bolts jerseys. Those were either all white or all blue depending on which jersey it was on. 

They also need to go back to how the logos looked last year rather than trying to roll out a new logo each week.

kent vs penn state.jpg

Week 1 vs Penn State (Half the logo is gone because the eyes are at the back of the facemask.)

kent vs ncat.jpg

Week 2 vs North Carolina A&T (Half the logo is gone because the eyes are at the back of the facemask.)

kent vs miami.jpg

at Miami (Modern template with faux throwback wordmarks, not good at all)

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, GFB said:

Sure, except that the "Ghost Bronco" looks like complete butt compared to the actual design.  And it's a pretty obvious rip off of the Boise State helmet, so it's not even an original "specific" identity.

Also, ors... Way too many ors.

Well... the WMU Bronco logo has been around since 1998 and the Ghost Bronco is slightly modified from that. The Boise State Bronco logo was introduced in 2002. So if anything, Boise State is ripping off WMU.

On 10/23/2016 at 11:57 AM, 4_tattoos said:

Division II game. Virginia Union vs Bowie State. Virginia Union (maroon pants) was the home team and wore very light gray jerseys against Bowie's road white jerseys. Was watching on ESPN3 online yesterday and honestly thought both teams were wearing white jerseys. IMO VA Union should have given BSU some type of notice that they'd be wearing such light colored jersey so Bowie could have brought darker jerseys on the trip (they have black, yellow & dark gray jerseys to choose from).

580be804dd4de.image.jpg?resize=760%2C571

580bc2f4d7f18.image.jpg?resize=760%2C616

580bc2f6bf810.image.jpg?resize=606%2C760

in fairness, at least they have different secondary colors (Maroon and Yellow) unlike that FIU / MTSU game last year where a white and blue team played a light grey and blue team.

Also last pic, is that black Jared Lorenzen? :P

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Well... the WMU Bronco logo has been around since 1998 and the Ghost Bronco is slightly modified from that. The Boise State Bronco logo was introduced in 2002. So if anything, Boise State is ripping off WMU.

But...but...WMU rips off Denver Broncos! :P (I kid)

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

6q2n4cfaz18i54b7eqp0ffp0s.png   3690_boise_state_broncos-primary-2013.pn

Call me crazy but other than the fact that they're both broncos, I don't see a whole lot of similarites. Maybe in the mouth but that's about it. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

3 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Not what I meant. I was referring to the application of the design, not the design itself.

Logos:

1998-Pres%20Western%20Michigan%20Broncos

boise-state-broncos.png

Dark helmet w/ 1-color, oversized logo:

ufoot_122310~69.jpg

636075520406971410-USATSI-9010304.jpg

White helmet w/ inverted,1-color, oversized logo:

Boise+State+v+Georgia+DwS6iZn7Jmnl.jpg

wm-13-allwhite-4-620x462.jpg

Boise State did the crazy helmets/uniforms first; it was popular with the kids, so Fleck adopted it at Western. So let's not pretend like PJ Fleck is some design genius with completely new ideas. He's a sharp young coach who can get kids excited about playing football at a directional school in the MAC.  But, like everyone else in the world, he saw something he liked and adopted it for his own means. 

The reason I have a problem with this is that the designs he is adopting look terrible (especially the inverted logo on the white helmet). And that's not even mentioning any uniform design that plays off the "Row the Boat" mantra. You could make the case that PJ Fleck has the worst design taste in all of D1 Football, alongside Bobby Petrino at Louisville. Nothing but gimmicks and schticks with those two.

37 minutes ago, GFB said:

The reason I have a problem with this is that the designs he is adopting look terrible (especially the inverted logo on the white helmet). And that's not evening mentioning any uniform design that plays off the Row the Boat mantra. You could make the case that PJ Fleck has the worst design taste in all of D1 Football, alongside Bobby Petrino at Louisville. Nothing but gimmicks and schticks with those two.

It's hard to even call it "design taste" at this point. It's just going with what is trendy for recruiting future players and for getting current players pumped. I doubt Petrino is really taking in to mind the aestheic benefits of how the Lousville logo will look as a inverted-color silhouette against red chrome.

I thought there was an interesting bit of dialogue in I believe the 2nd episode of the show Last Chance U on Netflix. The offensive coordinator is talking to one of the players, discussing what uniforms they will go with for one of the big games in the series. They both seem to be in agreement that they want to wear the white jerseys with chrome to face their rivals. It was treated more as a reward for the players that 1. they get to wear jerseys with chrome and 2. that they get to have input in choosing what they wear for that game. The players all seemed to love it, but all i could think about the entire time was the terrible too-tight-fitting Adidas jersey cut and how illegible the numbers were. What we see as Gimmicks , the players see as Badass.

34 minutes ago, elliott said:

It's hard to even call it "design taste" at this point. It's just going with what is trendy for recruiting future players and for getting current players pumped. I doubt Petrino is really taking in to mind the aestheic benefits of how the Lousville logo will look as a inverted-color silhouette against red chrome.

I think we're in agreement... I would consider making decisions in the design realm to potentially (because look at Oregon and their current state of recruiting despite all the "uniformz") cater to the appetites of singular group of people to be a gimmick. Sure, some out there may view it as a necessary evil in today's world, but I think that recruits would still hold a WMU with Fleck and bland uniforms in higher regards than a WMU without Fleck and really trendy uniforms.  There are other ways to get kids excited about your uniforms without falling into gimmicks (see Michigan, Ohio State, even Notre Dame).  

Look at the last two in your statement. Even when they roll out an alternate look, Ohio State tries to make it look like an Ohio State  uniform, for the most part. Notre Dame adds touches that hearken to Notre Dame. These smaller schools spin a wheel and pick random uniform parts to merge into one look. And really? I know your team has a mantra of "Row the Boat" Western Michigan. But for the love of all that is holy, that doesn't mean you slap oars all over the uniforms!!!!!! And don't get me started on tinfoil numbers!!!

wmu 2.JPGwmu 3.jpgwmu 4.jpg

wmu 1.jpg

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

kent state vs ohio.jpg

Kent State Lightning Bolt helmets vs Ohio.Helmet is a good look but clashes with the cap sleeves and no white on the jerseys. Kent should go back to the Eric Wilkerson helmets and updated Geno Baker lightning bolts jerseys. Those were either all white or all blue depending on which jersey it was on. 

They also need to go back to how the logos looked last year rather than trying to roll out a new logo each week.

kent vs penn state.jpg

Week 1 vs Penn State (Half the logo is gone because the eyes are at the back of the facemask.)

kent vs ncat.jpg

Week 2 vs North Carolina A&T (Half the logo is gone because the eyes are at the back of the facemask.)

The new helmet is nice, but the "Kent State" helmet was weak. Not any part of it was a former font we used. The Geno Baker uniforms were gold bolts and blue with gold on the white. Russell Athletic messed up the first set with white bolts,but our trip to Georgia gave us an opportunity to get the correct jerseys back. 

Here's every Kennesaw State uniform so far this season. The only duplicate uniform they have worn this year is gold-white-gold, which they also wore Saturday vs. Gardner-Webb. They also just unveiled a matte black helmet with a larger KS monogram on it. That will debut Saturday vs. Monmouth with white jerseys and black pants. 

Sept. 3 vs ETSU

Image result for kennesaw state east tennessee state september 3 2016

Sept. 10 vs. Point 

Image result for kennesaw state vs point september 10

Sept. 24 vs. Duquense

Image result for kennesaw state vs duquesne september 24

Oct. 1 vs. Furman

Image result for darnell holland furman

Oct. 8 vs. Missouri S&T

Image result for kennesaw state vs missouri s&t october 8

Oct. 15 vs. Liberty

Image result for kennesaw state vs liberty october 15