buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

Recommended Posts

On 12/11/2016 at 6:05 PM, guest23 said:

 

To add, I think a patch, helmet decal, or equivalent gesture would be a perfectly fine tribute. The graphic says it all..."look at us and how much we care" brought to you by "T/swoosh". Nowhere is there any messaging of any sort vehicle for outreach/volunteerism/call to action. Not even a half-assed portion of the proceeds excuse is mentioned. This move doesn't even meet the minimum standards to be called slacktivism.

 

Well, I can tell you the response from people locally, you know, the ones actually affected by the fires, was overwhelmingly positive. In fact, the idea to wear the uniforms came from those affected by the fires as a way to continue to bring awareness to disaster relief.

 

The school and the team have made many "calls to action" for volunteering and donations, including busloads of student-athletes going up to Gatlinburg with supplies and spending numerous hours serving the community there. UT was active in local fundraisers for the victims as well. 

 

But, by all means, make a judgment based on one graphic without having any idea on the rest of the story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BRice16 said:

 

Well, I can tell you the response from people locally, you know, the ones actually affected by the fires, was overwhelmingly positive. In fact, the idea to wear the uniforms came from those affected by the fires as a way to continue to bring awareness to disaster relief.

If that's the case then great. I'm all for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 13, 2016 at 11:18 PM, Germanshepherd said:

http://www.azfamily.com/story/34046756/uniformity-sun-devil-athletics-sets-new-uniform-standards

 

Much needed changes from Arizona State. We're actually gonna see gold helmets and pants more than twice a year now. 

 

I'm clearly in he minority but I think this is pretty lame. Not because I think they should wear anything other than maroon and gold but because I'm not a fan of administrative folks having that much say in what you can and can't do down to the color of uniform you are required to wear in a rivalry game. It's just way too many hands in the cookie jar for my liking. 

 

If if you don't want to allow non-school color uniforms then that is fine. I just think that is way too many rules and way too specific. Either allow it or don't. Don't try to over complicate the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's good to see the ASU brass putting their foot down on the uniforms. While I did kinda like the copper, I don't have any issue with it being limited or removed. The rest going away (black and grey) would be fine by me though.

 

To think, they used up to five colors. FIVE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, razorback447 said:

 

I'm clearly in he minority but I think this is pretty lame. Not because I think they should wear anything other than maroon and gold but because I'm not a fan of administrative folks having that much say in what you can and can't do down to the color of uniform you are required to wear in a rivalry game. It's just way too many hands in the cookie jar for my liking. 

 

If if you don't want to allow non-school color uniforms then that is fine. I just think that is way too many rules and way too specific. Either allow it or don't. Don't try to over complicate the process. 

I get the feeling that adidas probably wanted to do something that had none of the school colors in it or the boosters complained that ASU uniforms started to dilute the school's identity. I would agree with the latter most likely occurring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Predictable, but Clemson is wearing orange pants in the playoff:

I've really liked what Nike does with the swoosh with CFP teams. It's a little quirk that makes the uniforms a little more special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to Arizona State, brand standards are created for a reason. The football team was obviously starting to sway from them, and the administration had to reel them back in.

 

Also, according to Uniformity's tweets, it's more so a request to have the team wear school colors against Arizona and other big games, rather than grey and copper like this year. Alternates are not banned, they just want them to be used in other games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2016 at 11:35 AM, BRice16 said:

 

Well, I can tell you the response from people locally, you know, the ones actually affected by the fires, was overwhelmingly positive. In fact, the idea to wear the uniforms came from those affected by the fires as a way to continue to bring awareness to disaster relief.

 

The school and the team have made many "calls to action" for volunteering and donations, including busloads of student-athletes going up to Gatlinburg with supplies and spending numerous hours serving the community there. UT was active in local fundraisers for the victims as well. 

 

But, by all means, make a judgment based on one graphic without having any idea on the rest of the story. 

 

OK then we agree that this was tone-deaf and in bad taste by the school to put themselves/nike front and center while omitting disaster relief efforts and neglecting mentioning any of the actual. We all make mistakes. I would appreciate it if you would post some links to those anecdotes you've mentioned as I don't think the national media has given the outreach activity the attention it deserves.

 

I guess I still kind of don't get how smoke gray uniforms are a tribute to those affected. To me that uniform conjures up the charred destruction that the fire wrought. To me at least, that gesture would not resonate with me in a positive way but then again I don't live in TN. To each their own I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston vs. SDSU is color-vs-color. White/Red/Red for the Cougars, Red/Black/Black for the Aztecs.

 

I dig it, mostly because I dig the identities of both teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DPV713 said:

Houston vs. SDSU is color-vs-color. White/Red/Red for the Cougars, Red/Black/Black for the Aztecs.

 

I dig it, mostly because I dig the identities of both teams.

Not bad, but white pants would look better for Houston. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Las Vegas Bowl should keep that logo, just add a landmark in place of the 25.

I think that the logo for years to come are on some of banners on the wall in the background. Looks like the shield is gone but most of it stays the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ryebread19 said:

Special helmet logo for App State

IMG_1402.JPG

 

I was just coming here to ask if the Appalachian State logo had a red tint to anyone else. I thought my TV was having issues. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, guest23 said:

 

OK then we agree that this was tone-deaf and in bad taste by the school to put themselves/nike front and center while omitting disaster relief efforts and neglecting mentioning any of the actual. We all make mistakes. I would appreciate it if you would post some links to those anecdotes you've mentioned as I don't think the national media has given the outreach activity the attention it deserves.

 

I guess I still kind of don't get how smoke gray uniforms are a tribute to those affected. To me that uniform conjures up the charred destruction that the fire wrought. To me at least, that gesture would not resonate with me in a positive way but then again I don't live in TN. To each their own I suppose.

What would you have had them do? Wearing a uniform to bring awareness to the destruction it caused and actually doing relief efforts is much better than anything you have done. Just saying you should probably get off your high horse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ryebread19 said:

Special helmet logo for App State

IMG_1402.JPG

 

At first, I thought App State played at the Rose Bowl. But then, I realized, they played at the Camellia Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now