College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Maybe they'll use smaller decals.

I hope not.  Smaller decals usually looks bad/cheap on most helmets. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I hope not.  Smaller decals usually looks bad/cheap on most helmets. 

What other choices do they have? If it turns out those new helmets do in fact reduce brain injuries significantly, they will become the norm very soon. Those things were clearly designed for safety and functionality, not style.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

30 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

hqdefault.jpg

michigan-vs-minnesota-review.jpg?w=650&h

image.JPG

You're forgetting that the cut of those jerseys (which appeared to be manufactured by ripon with the adidas branding added on) is much different than the cut of the Mach Speed template being used for Michigan's new jerseys. The sleeve caps are much shorter than on the ripon jerseys and the overall sleeve is much tighter and more compact as well. In addition, the stripes on those jerseys pictured above were placed on the cuffs, whereas on the new jerseys only the bottom navy stripe is placed on the cuff, with the top blue stripe and the maize stripe in the middle being put in the actual sleeve cap.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Gamecocks seniors will vote on uniforms each week.

maxresdefault.jpg

"First-year coach Will Muschamp said the seniors will decide what uniforms USC wears each week and his players had different views of them. “If that’s the case, I’ll put my vote in,” quipped senior Elliott Fry, while redshirt freshman Dexter Wideman remarked that what a team wears doesn’t matter, it’s the performance that counts.

Then again, some couldn’t wait to see what may be hanging in their lockers on Sept. 1.

“I’m looking forward to the all-black,” senior Darius English said. “We really don’t pay too much attention to it, but it does get you excited about it, wearing something new.”

Article

Michigan overall looks great. love the satin helmet. i supose its easy to pull off when you're starting with Michigan and the most time consuming part of this is deciding how large to make the Jumpman logo on everything.

there are 2 things that bother me though. 1. i hate a basketball logo being on a football uniform. 2. the new script wordmark is trash.

but i dont want to hate on this too much. overall its still Michigan and looking at the big picture, they're still one of the best identities and brands in all of sports. props to UM

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

10 hours ago, upperV03 said:

You're forgetting that the cut of those jerseys (which appeared to be manufactured by ripon with the adidas branding added on) is much different than the cut of the Mach Speed template being used for Michigan's new jerseys. The sleeve caps are much shorter than on the ripon jerseys and the overall sleeve is much tighter and more compact as well. In addition, the stripes on those jerseys pictured above were placed on the cuffs, whereas on the new jerseys only the bottom navy stripe is placed on the cuff, with the top blue stripe and the maize stripe in the middle being put in the actual sleeve cap.

I'm not "forgetting" anything. I'm endorsing a better looking jersey.

11 hours ago, tron1013 said:

Gamecocks seniors will vote on uniforms each week.

maxresdefault.jpg

"First-year coach Will Muschamp said the seniors will decide what uniforms USC wears each week and his players had different views of them. “If that’s the case, I’ll put my vote in,” quipped senior Elliott Fry, while redshirt freshman Dexter Wideman remarked that what a team wears doesn’t matter, it’s the performance that counts.

Then again, some couldn’t wait to see what may be hanging in their lockers on Sept. 1.

“I’m looking forward to the all-black,” senior Darius English said. “We really don’t pay too much attention to it, but it does get you excited about it, wearing something new.”

Article

So black helmets at home and white helmets on the road? The garnet helmet will probably be worn once.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

there are 2 things that bother me though. 1. i hate a basketball logo being on a football uniform. 2. the new script wordmark is trash.

but i dont want to hate on this too much. overall its still Michigan and looking at the big picture, they're still one of the best identities and brands in all of sports. props to UM

I'm inclined to agree with you on point 1 Brandon, but the only redeeming grace for me is that the Air Jordan logo is so much smaller than the Swoosh, it's almost non-existent to the naked eye.  It makes me think of a time before apparel companies had their logo creep up on uniforms and they simply produced the uniforms.    

Screen+Shot+2016-07-29+at+7.12.05+PM.png 

Whoever designed this script knows absolutely nothing about calligraphy or kerning. The "M" is far too close to the "i" when compared to the rest of the uniform space between characters. The first time I saw this script on my iPhone, I thought it read as "Nichigan." 

Screen+Shot+2016-07-29+at+7.03.34+PM.png

The other thing about this work that will drive me off the OCD deep end is the crossbar of the 5 being higher than the crossbars of the 3, 6, 8 & 9 for absolutely no reason.  I could understand if they didn't add the little serif on the top to shore up the negative space or if they added a little stem beneath the crossbar on the left ascender, but this feels like a rush job/oversight. I like the new 4, and I'm pretty indifferent to the new 2, but this 5 will be the bane of my mental health.

But that satin matte finish on the helmet is awesome, no doubt about it:

Co8H5RmWEAAb9DC.jpg

37 minutes ago, GFB said:

Screen+Shot+2016-07-29+at+7.03.34+PM.png

The other thing about this work that will drive me off the OCD deep end is the crossbar of the 5 being higher than the crossbars of the 3, 6, 8 & 9 for absolutely no reason.  I could understand if they didn't add the little serif on the top to shore up the negative space or if they added a little stem beneath the crossbar on the left ascender, but this feels like a rush job/oversight. I like the new 4, and I'm pretty indifferent to the new 2, but this 5 will be the bane of my mental health.

The bottom of the 5's crossbar lines up with the top of the 4's crossbar. It's still an irritatingly stupid design choice, but at least there appears to be a method to their madness.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, burgundy said:

The bottom of the 5's crossbar lines up with the top of the 4's crossbar. It's still an irritatingly stupid design choice, but at least there appears to be a method to their madness.

My only response to that would be, someone line up the cross bar of the five at the same location at the 4.  What does it look like?  Does it look long or bottom heavy?  How does location relate to historic/original numbers?

I sure hope that's not the reason. The logical gymnastics required to fit that line of thinking is on the level of "I'm going to wear a blue shirt because I want to eat Mexican for dinner tonight." Sure, I guess that's a reason in the loosest sense, but there's not exactly an established precedence for that decision.

Why does everyone assume all the non techfit adidas uniforms are made by ripon? The entire CFL does not have techfit, I find it hard to believe a company like adidas would outfit a whole league with another companies product.

Archived