College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, coogrfan said:

SICFBP16_SM_zpsjjgmx0ew.jpg

Just comparing that photo as well as the wisconsin one above, i dont see how people thought they were a "clone" of Nebraska/Wisconsin. Similar, maybe but the stylings are pretty different on the shoulder/cuff area stripes as well as Nebraska nor Wisconsin having a script above the numbers. .

taxslayer-com-gator-bowl-nebraska-201401

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

5 hours ago, WavePunter said:

The "only one helmet for safety reasons" excuse is ridiculous.. It's not difficult to fit a helmet, especially with some of the new methods for sizing.. The most difficult part is adjusting the chinstrap, but that can simply be removed and put into another helmet..

1. It's only Washington that is wearing 1 helmet

2. They are only wearing 1 helmet because they cost $1000 per helmet

With Oregon wearing the Vicis helmet this year, it will be interesting to see what HGI (Hydro Graphics Inc., originators of chrome, satin helmets and multi-colored facemask trends) can/will do with the flexible exterior. Dollars to donuts they're working on it right now.

23 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

Just comparing that photo as well as the wisconsin one above, i dont see how people thought they were a "clone" of Nebraska/Wisconsin. Similar, maybe but the stylings are pretty different on the shoulder/cuff area stripes as well as Nebraska nor Wisconsin having a script above the numbers. .

taxslayer-com-gator-bowl-nebraska-201401

The shoulder/cuff area stripes have changed since this picture and they actually look a lot more like Houston's from both NU and Wisconsin's standpoint. Nebraska has switched to the sleeve-capped techfit template, and Wisconsin has switched to a sleeve-capped UA template. Nebraska's strippes are still much broader, but the resemblence to Wisconson is still there: cn7gkutuaaavspp.jpg

If they wear their red helmet from last season at home that's a pretty close look.

13 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

With Oregon wearing the Vicis helmet this year, it will be interesting to see what HGI (Hydro Graphics Inc., originators of chrome, satin helmets and multi-colored facemask trends) can/will do with the flexible exterior. Dollars to donuts they're working on it right now.

Oregon went away from HGI last year due to some issues they had with the satin helmets (chipping and flaking paint that HGI didn't get around to fixing in a timely manner, which rubbed the Oregon equipment staff and athletic department the wrong way.)  They switched over to another company that is basically a subsidiary of Nike.  They could replicate the satin finish but didn't have the ability to do the chrome stuff.  With Oregon going to the Vicis helmets, I'm sure the return of any of the chrome stuff is out the window, as well as certain other paint schemes that can't withstand all the deformation of the new helmets.

6 hours ago, razorback447 said:

I thought they were only wearing one helmet because of the cost of the helmets?

From my understanding (at least from the NFL's official standpoint), the "one helmet rule" is to avoid players wearing multiple helmets from week to week without having them properly fit to each player.. Essentially, the two helmets would fit differently enough that the one which fits slightly "worse" would be a safety hazard.. 

This is BS imo for several reasons, and I think it's more of a marketing move by the NFL, disguised as a safety concern.. Hadn't checked the price of the Vicis yet, so you may be correct in that case, especially at the collegiate level.

35 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Oregon went away from HGI last year due to some issues they had with the satin helmets (chipping and flaking paint that HGI didn't get around to fixing in a timely manner, which rubbed the Oregon equipment staff and athletic department the wrong way.)  They switched over to another company that is basically a subsidiary of Nike.  They could replicate the satin finish but didn't have the ability to do the chrome stuff.  With Oregon going to the Vicis helmets, I'm sure the return of any of the chrome stuff is out the window, as well as certain other paint schemes that can't withstand all the deformation of the new helmets.

Huh, interesting. I was never aware of that and you couldn't tell from their site: http://www.hydrographicsinc.com/

15 hours ago, BenjiJ said:

Washington also in the Vicis helmets. I have to admit, it's growing on me...

These definetly don't seem to have the HGI finish that the gold ones from last year had -- curious to see if this is a practice thing or if this is actually a return to the more "traditional" gold lid.

Here's a good look at the white Oregon Vicis helmets with the glitter finish that they debuted last season:

image.jpeg

From all of the pictures that I have seen, it appears as though all of the players are wearing the Vicis helmets in fall camp but it's unclear if they are still in a testing stage with them or if they are indeed going to be wearing them this season. Since they have the glitter finish on them, I would think it's a safe bet that these will be in the rotation this season, but whether or not they're going to have another Vicis model or regular models for their other helmets is not yet known.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

14 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Here's a good look at the white Oregon Vicis helmets with the glitter finish that they debuted last season:

image.jpeg

From all of the pictures that I have seen, it appears as though all of the players are wearing the Vicis helmets in fall camp but it's unclear if they are still in a testing stage with them or if they are indeed going to be wearing them this season. Since they have the glitter finish on them, I would think it's a safe bet that these will be in the rotation this season, but whether or not they're going to have another Vicis model or regular models for their other helmets is not yet known.

I actually saw some photos of players who were wearing Riddell helmets so it looks like they'll be doing a mix of old and new helmet styles.

http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/8/8/football-practice-report-aug-8.aspx

42 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

From my understanding (at least from the NFL's official standpoint), the "one helmet rule" is to avoid players wearing multiple helmets from week to week without having them properly fit to each player.. Essentially, the two helmets would fit differently enough that the one which fits slightly "worse" would be a safety hazard.. 

This is BS imo for several reasons, and I think it's more of a marketing move by the NFL, disguised as a safety concern.. Hadn't checked the price of the Vicis yet, so you may be correct in that case, especially at the collegiate level.

The vicis cost $1000 each

1 minute ago, dont care said:

The vicis cost $1000 each

This article about Oregon wearing them says they're $1500, but they're only stating the reported cost, not the actual cost, so who knows if Vicis has been able get the cost down to $1000.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/08/what_are_those_new_vicis_helme.html#incart_river_index

Just now, Webfooter said:

This article about Oregon wearing them says they're $1500, but they're only stating the reported cost, not the actual cost, so who knows if Vicis has been able get the cost down to $1000.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/08/what_are_those_new_vicis_helme.html#incart_river_index

I think you are right, regardless they cost much more than regular helmets that cost about 500 each.

58 minutes ago, chrisCLEMENT said:

These definetly don't seem to have the HGI finish that the gold ones from last year had -- curious to see if this is a practice thing or if this is actually a return to the more "traditional" gold lid.

Right, this is the helmet for the year. No more satin gold, no more black bumpers. A more traditional gold that I prefer.

17+Fiest+Bowl_sig.png

22 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

I actually saw some photos of players who were wearing Riddell helmets so it looks like they'll be doing a mix of old and new helmet styles.

http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/8/8/football-practice-report-aug-8.aspx

Well that certainly makes a lot more sense. It'll be very interesting to see what helmets they wear this season, and I personally am just hoping to not see any of the short winged helmets they wore last season. The satin green and glitter white can stay, but I'd like to see something new outside of those two because the winged helmets last year were pretty poor IMO.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

19 minutes ago, BenjiJ said:

Right, this is the helmet for year. No more satin gold, no more black bumpers. A more traditional gold that I prefer.

Yeah wkthout the black bumpers though the black on the uniform will look even more out of place! At least they will look good on the road going G-W-P! 

Archived