Throwball Club Cup: 2016 Japan

jmoe12

Last of the auto-qualifiers!

Kqiq4OL.png

Club Cup Appearances: 1 (2016)

Best Finish: N/A

2015 Season Result: 92 points (1st in Russian Throwball Federation)

An unexpected rise to the top for the Sturgeon made them the surprise of world throwball this season. Electric play from wingers Miroslav Chebykin and Nika Kucheron lifted Volgograd’s offensive and defensive ranks from the bottom half in 2014 to the top 3 in both columns this year. Their rapid counter-attacking gave their Russian opposition fits this season, but with an extra month to game-plan, the Sturgeon’s Club Cup opponents may be able to find and exploit the gaps in their defense. If Volgograd can continue to defend, and get solid contribution from the bench, they can compete with anyone.

Super simple design. Even though they lack tradition as a good team, Sturgeon ownership wanted to have a classic, timeless look for the team. In the early days, this was used as a cost-cutting measure, but it has stuck, and should continue for years to come.
Now that all the auto-qualifiers have been revealed, there won't be any new concepts on Sunday. Five more teams will punch their tickets on Monday, and I'll begin revealing two teams per day until the next twenty are finished.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to Cape Town, Cleveland, Moscow, Seoul, and Turin for qualifying today! This means I'll be back in action posting two concepts a day, starting in South Africa.

ClEVWtw.png

Club Cup Appearances: 4 (2016, 2010, 2008, 2002)

Best Finish: Group Stage (2010, 2008, 2002)

2015 Season Result: 96 points (1st in South African Throwball Championship)

Cape Town rolled through the SATC season this year, bringing home the trophy for the 5th time. This team may be the best equipped to perform at the Club Cup, with South African post Kerefese Mhlongo playing world-class throwball and taking African Player of the Year honors. But Voyageurs fans are worried that this Cup might be their star’s final games in a Cape Town shirt. Mhlongo can opt-out of his contract after this season, and there are plenty of rich European clubs knocking at the door to acquire his services. However, a strong campaign in Japan could convince their superstar to stay.

The logo is based of the Dutch explorers that originally founded Cape Town in 1652. The color scheme also pays homage to the Dutch, with orange as the primary color. The kits have a gradient because I thought it looked good.

Returning to the United States.

XE2KIfO.png

Club Cup Appearances: 2 (2016, 2014)

Best Finish: Round of 16 (2014)

2015 Season Result: 93 points (2nd in American Throwball Association)

Another strong regular season, but another early playoff exit has caused frustration for the players, owners, and especially the fans. Since their Union Cup championship in 2011 that many thought would be the start of a dynasty, Cleveland has failed to win a single trophy. The constant post-season disappointment has caused rumors to swirl every offseason that superstar post Judell Samson might leave for greener pastures, but he's stayed put so far. If the Devils can live up to expectations in Japan, where they should at least advance to the Knockout Round, fans may be able to forget their recent failures.

An interesting color scheme, with maroon, red, and cream, was a fun one to use throughout the identity. Originally this was going to be a more rock-and-roll devil type of identity, but I toned it down a bit with just your basic devil's head as the primary. The sash with "guitar strings" inside is a remnant from the rock and roll theme.

C&C appreciated!

Bremen, Brisbane, Edmonton, Sao Paulo, and Dublin all qualified today, those concepts will be coming up after I release all of yesterday's qualifiers.

Now, we visit Mother Russia!

EngdJ7b.png

Club Cup Appearances: 9 (2016, 2014, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1996)

Best Finish: Champions (2006)

2015 Season Result: 90 points (2nd in Russian Throwball Federation)

A disappointing season by Legion’s lofty standards was still good enough to send them to Japan. Though they haven’t won any trophies so far, the Club Cup title is definitely within reach. The best post duo in the world, Avgar Tatarinov and Damir Fyodorov, are the toughest tandem in the world to defend. But with Fyodorov in his 30s and Tatarinov in the last season of his contract, this may be the last chance for this squad to take home throwball’s ultimate prize. Moscow has missed the Knockout Round only once at the Club Cup, and there will be plenty of pressure to make it through the Group Stage once again.

Pretty simple design, with a lot of Russian pride. The crest is the Russian flag in a diamond with a bear on top. Home kit is very simple and traditional, away kit a bit more out there, with the flag used as a sash.

C&C appreciated!

Halfway through!

xru1OY8.png

2015 Season Result: 94 points (2nd in North Pacific Super League)

The running joke in Seoul has been United never reaching the Club Cup, while cross-town rivals Seoul Bullets have made it twice. But this joke is rendered meaningless with Seoul’s win over Hong Kong United in Qualifying to punch their ticket. Young stud Myung Kim took the NPSL by storm, scoring 37 goals in his first season as a starter. Kim’s exquisite blend of size and speed makes him a nightmare to defend. But a lack of supporting talent could see the White Tigers to an early exit in their first cup. Hikaru Koizuite has been wildly inconsistent throughout the season, but if he can perform at top level, Seoul can contend for the Knockout Round.

A more modern design this time. Crest is based of the city flag of Seoul, with white tiger strips on the diamond. These stripes carry onto the home kit. Clash is all blue, with a chest stripe similar to the Canadiens.

C&C appreciated!

Only 5 spots left! Abidjan, Leeds, Mendoza, Portland, and St. Petersburg qualified today.

Now, to Italy!

7No9iUI.png

2015 Season Result: 89 points (1st in Lega Nazionale)

Sputtering down the stretch, Turin managed to take the Lega Nazionale title by the skin of their teeth, barely holding off a furious comeback from TC Roma. The talented roster under performed for most of the year, and if recent form is any indication, Turin could be in for a quick exit from the Cup. Turin is yet another team with a star post potentially leaving after the season, with Gerard Passini rumored to want a sale to Dublin. Passini’s departure may not be the worst thing, however, as removing his massive contract from the cap hit would open plenty of space to sign other transfers to retool the lineup and add some desperately-needed depth.

This concept is really strongly based of the city of Turin. Logo is a bull's head, as a bull is found on the city seal. Chest stripe on the home represents the Alps, and the clash design is based on the city flag.

C&C appreciated.

On to Tuesday's qualifiers!

9csVV2i.png

2015 Season Result: 92 points (2nd in Deutschland Throwball Association)

Lots of big spending in the transfer market has vaulted Bremen into the upper echelon of German throwball. The Paladins recorded the best finish in team history, hanging with a dominant Amsterdam throughout the campaign. Often losing out on top young German talent by their local rivals, Bremen has compensated by establishing a highly sophisticated network of foreign scouting to bring in talent from across Europe. This network has helped to bring in Tomaz Kolar from Slovenia, Elliot Fischer from Sweden, and Bruno Vinkovic from Croatia. If Bremen continues to climb, they could become a perennial world power.

One of my favorite logo designs. Home kit is green with a sword design on the sleeves. Clash is not just gold, double gold!
C&C appreciated!

The field is set! Brasilia, Dusseldorf, Helsinki, Ottawa, and Wollongong filled the last spots in Japan with qualifying wins today.

Continuing with the concepts, here's Brisbane

FGJVkB8.png

Club Cup Appearances: 2 (2014, 2016)

Best Finish: Round of 16 (2014)

2015 Season Result: 85 points (3rd in South Pacific Super League)

Brisbane has always been near the top of the SPSL table, finishing second twice, third twice, and fourth five times. But the Generals had never taken the crown until 2013, when a fantastic run of form saw them rip through their league opposition and to a phenomenal 95 points. Brisbane capped this campaign with their first ever Club Cup, and were not intimidated playing against the world’s elite, winning Group A and advancing to the Knockout Round. Injuries, transfers, and retirements have prevented the Generals from reaching such heights again, but a return to the Club Cup gives them another shot to make a run through the tournament.

Name inspiration comes from the military base located right outside Brisbane. Colors and logo based off of the Australian General's insignia. Tons of stripes on the kits, probably too many. Let me know which ones work and which ones don't.

C&C greatly appreciated.

Edmonton! A certain user will be happy this one finally got posted.

MPTJVdG.png

Version 1

Spoiler

WAybi6d.png

2015 Season Result: 93 points (2nd in Canadian Throwball Premiership)

Suffocating defense and a devastating counter-attack sprung Edmonton to only their sixth Canadian Cup appearance, and a tie for tops on the table. This historically downtrodden franchise, with a record 6 bottom of the table finishes, is experiencing the best run in their history, making the Canadian Cup each of the last three years and finishing in the top 5 each time. As stars like Brock Eaterman, Tyus Durant, and Avery Hicks continue to improve, Edmonton will only become more dangerous as the years go on. This Club Cup will be the team’s first, and there will be plenty of pressure to continue their form throughout the campaign.

Named for the oil industry in Alberta and "wildcat wells", as well as the lynx. Logo is a lynx head with an oil derrick on the forehead. Kits are all pewter at home, with an oil-derrick pattern down the shorts. Clash is light blue, with the pattern added to the sleeves.

C&C appreciated

I think it's the chest stripes on the Brisbane kits that are too much. They don't really work too well with the logo on top of it. If you want to keep the stripes, move the logo to a soccer crest placement.

I really dislike the derrick on the wildcat. It isn't incorporated into it at all; it is just placed on top of it. It looks like the cat got terribly drunk and a friend dared him to get a face tattoo...next thing you know, he wakes up and looks in the mirror wondering what in the world happened. In short, it looks like a regrettable tattoo rather than a natural part of the logo.

I do really like the Wildcats color scheme and shorts striping.

award%20sig.png

I think it's the chest stripes on the Brisbane kits that are too much. They don't really work too well with the logo on top of it. If you want to keep the stripes, move the logo to a soccer crest placement.

I really dislike the derrick on the wildcat. It isn't incorporated into it at all; it is just placed on top of it. It looks like the cat got terribly drunk and a friend dared him to get a face tattoo...next thing you know, he wakes up and looks in the mirror wondering what in the world happened. In short, it looks like a regrettable tattoo rather than a natural part of the logo.

I do really like the Wildcats color scheme and shorts striping.

Appreciate the feedback. You're spot on about Edmonton, do you think that, if implemented better, that it would work, or should I scrap it all together? I'll work on an updated Wildcat, and try to finish by the weekend.

Love Edmonton! (As always lol). The colour scheme is perfectly befitting as well. I agree the derrick looks odd, I would suggest either making it white or making it sublimated/lighter brown/tan colour. Also, a tiny bit more white may benefit the jerseys. Just a tiny bit though, the balance is very strong as it is. Also, team history seems the opposite of the Oilers lol :) Great work, love it!

Still working on an update for Edmonton, but in the mean time

qoBzc5n.png

Version 1

Spoiler

42SFlSk.png

Club Cup Appearances: 5 (2016, 2012, 2010, 2006, 2002)

Best Finish: Runners-Up (2012)

2015 Season Result: 80 points (3rd in Brazilian Federation of Throwball)

A dominant 2012 Club Cup in China, where Sao Paulo flew through to the finals, and held a 4-2 lead heading into the third period of the championship against Milan City. The cocky jeers of Sao Paulo supporters was enough to fuel City to a remarkable comeback, scoring three times in the final frame to take the Cup to Italy. The epic collapse caused major roster turnover that offseason, and Sao Paulo fell to fifth in 2012. Even more players left after 2013, and Sao Paulo stayed in 5th. But, new ownership was installed after 2013, and they have created a formidable squad that can contend for the title once again.

Lots of symbolism in the badge here. Black and white hoops are from the flag of the state of Sao Paulo. Banner reads "I don't follow, I lead" or something to that effect. Home kits feature hoops and a sash, a look unique to them. Clash is yellow, similar to Barca's kits from a couple of years back.

C&C appreciated!

OMG. I was going to list a top three, but they just keep getting better. Shoutout to Saporro, Edmonton, Cleveland, and Moscow for just wowing me.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Your defending world champions!

Fi6UEIS.png

Club Cup Appearances: 4 (2016, 2014, 2002, 1994)

Best Finish: Champions (2014)

2015 Season Result: 101 points (1st in 4 Nations Throwball Union)

The defending champs look primed to defend their title in Japan. Boasting Dwayne Rodgers, the world’s best player, as well as a supporting cast with stars Adrian Brachard and Enrique. High spending on the this trio has hurt the overall depth of the squad, as the remainder of the starting lineup is lacking compared to some of their competitors. These years of high spending may hurt the team’s finances in the future, as the Leprechauns have reported a loss in funds in three of the last five years. If Dublin can become the first repeat champions in Club Cup history, the increased funds could allow their high-spending habits to continue for years to come.

Logo is fairly simple, a leprechaun head inside a four leaf clover. Home kit has remained unchanged throughout their existence, but the clash is brand new, and one of my favorite designs.
C&C appreciated, an updated Edmonton will be up soon, I decided to give Derrick one more chance

Archived