Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings III: MLB-As-Soccer Crossover (COMPLETED!)

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fresh off finishing my California Soccer League, I'm going straight to doing a crossover series for the first time. Here, I will be making soccer concepts based off of Major League Baseball teams. Here are a few guidelines I will be abiding by:

• Unlike most crossover series I've seen on this forum, I will be completely revamping some teams to better fit a soccer context
  • Teams will get new logos based off of their existing MLB logos
  • I'll try to retain each team's 2016 color schemes as best as I can
  • While this series isn't strictly a "Combination of Eras" series, many teams will feature a combination of looks from different eras
  • I will be renaming many teams to more soccer-friendly names, so that nicknames (ex. Giants, Blue Jays, etc.)
  • I will be using sponsors local to each team
  • Unlike the CSL, the player names are from actual players of the MLB and not famous people from those cities
  • Unlike most soccer leagues, there will not be a single league-wide font; instead, each team will retain their unique, individual number fonts

I don't have too many and too strict guidelines for this series, so it will be a very open-ended series!

User feedback will be taken into great consideration, in making the teams for each MLB team. I won't have the best ideas in the world, so any design/logo/uniform/name suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I go along, in an effort to make these teams as realistic as I possibly can. :)

One request, though: Please do not request any team to go first, as I already have an order that I will be going by. I will be going back-and-forth between AL and NL teams, alphabetically in the NL (Arizona first, Washington last) and reverse-alphabetically in the AL (Toronto first, Baltimore last).

Now to the first concept!

---------------------------------------------------------------

National League WEST
Arizona Diamondback SC
Phoenix, Arizona
Founded: 1998
Championships: 1 (2001)

Arizona Diamondbacks Logos

23829376119_4f2c194f1e_c.jpg

I've started to slowly grow on the new Dbacks identity for 2016. It's not perfect per se (I still think the gradients belong in college football), but I took what I liked best about it (the addition of turquoise and, to an extent, the new fonts) and embraced it with this Dbacks soccer identity. The crest takes the clever-but-now-discontinued "db" logo and puts each half of that logo on a crest that incorporates the diamond pattern seen on the "A" cap logo. The bottom "scroll" is inspired by the 2011 All-Star Game logo, which itself is inspired by the artistic styles of the Native Americans of the Southwest. The primary colors are black and turquoise, with the brightened red (the darker "Sedona Red" didn't exactly match with the vibrance of the turquoise) and sand acting as accent colors.

The home kit features a turquoise top that features the new gradient pattern (which works great with soccer jerseys!). The clash kit combines the darker gray of the new road Dbacks uniforms with the pinstriped, vest jersey that the Dbacks wore during that magical Game 7 of the 2001 World Series (which is probably my favorite, non-Giants World Series); the solid-color sleeves are a nod to the undershirts of the vests, with the sublimated pinstripes in the middle suggested the actual vest. All the jersey sleeves and shorts feature the awesome diamond pattern featured on the sleeves of actual Dbacks jerseys. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is Phoenix-based U-Haul.

Toronto is next!

~ Daryl

This is a really nice start! Scared to see the Yankees with 27 stars above the crest...

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

TheGiantsFan is coming out swinging! What a way to introduce the series! That looks great!

Don't you mean kicking ;P

No, I was meaning it as saying it was a strong, bold, way to start this thread.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

TheGiantsFan is coming out swinging! What a way to introduce the series! That looks great!

It was a Soccer joke. Yeesh

Sorry, I tend to take jokes and kill them by explaining what I said, I kind of realized it was, which after the realization, I got a good kick out of it.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Sorry, I tend to take jokes and kill them by explaining what I said, I kind of realized it was, which after the realization, I got a good kick out of it.
Ah. Ok I may have overreacted. My fault

Ah. Ok I may have overreacted. My fault

It's all good.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

This is a really nice start! Scared to see the Yankees with 27 stars above the crest...

Thank you! :)

Trust me, I'll find a way to show the Yankees' 27 championships in a way that won't show 27 stars. Haha...

Easy there, you guys!

Glad you liked Arizona, Nick! :)

Love the Dbacks look, yet again another great concept series from you.

This is really cool! Love that logo for the Diamondbacks.

Thanks guys, glad y'all liked Arizona! :)

I wanted something to do with a shield for them, and that "db" logo fit in just perfectly.

------------------------------------------------------------

American League EAST

AFC Toronto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Founded: 1977

Championships: 2 (1992, 1993)

Toronto Blue Jays Logos

24134886101_d1b03906e9_c.jpg

As perfect as the Jays' primary logo (or whole identity in general) is, it was way too easy to simply just use the roundel logo, so I decided to take a different approach. Because Toronto FC is an actual major league team, I couldn't use that name; instead, I just settled with "AFC Toronto" because "FC Toronto" is way too similar to the existing MLS club. The shape of the crest comes from the Toronto coat of arms, with the blue jay stylized in a way that you would see in European soccer. I used the beautiful Blue Jays custom font for the team name, stylized in the same way as the actual Jays primary logo. The outline of the shield is from both the font and the jersey trim of the Jays' jerseys. Each midpoint of the jersey sleeves have

The home kit is based off of the Jays' blue alt uniform, with a sublimated "T" pattern taken from the flag of Toronto; the "T" is in powder blue as a nod to the Jays' powder blue road uniforms from their first decade in existence. The clash kit is directly inspired by the 2015- version of the Jays' Canada Day jerseys; the stripes down the middle are intended to mimic the Canadian flag. Each midpoint of the jersey sleeves have a Canadian flag on it. The kits are supplied by Umbro, and the sponsor is Rogers Communications (I considered other sponsors for AFC Toronto, such as Labatt and the Bank of Montreal, but since the Blue Jays are owned by Rogers, that was the most realistic way to go).

Up next, Atlanta!

~ Daryl

You didn't go lazy, which is what i would've done, as the roundel would work, but that is what I envision when I think of blue jays soccer.

I didn't notice the db in Arizona until now, that is clever.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

I'm rethinking re-doing my crossover series now. This is putting my ideas to shame. Toronto is so good. Can't wait to see the rest.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

You didn't go lazy, which is what i would've done, as the roundel would work, but that is what I envision when I think of blue jays soccer.

I didn't notice the db in Arizona until now, that is clever.

I was originally going to go with the roundel when I was thinking up of ideas for Toronto, but I think a fresh take on it would've been a bit cooler. Glad you liked it, though! :)

It is indeed a clever logo for the Dbacks! I was slightly bummed when they discontinued it with the new rebrand, though... :/

I'm rethinking re-doing my crossover series now. This is putting my ideas to shame. Toronto is so good. Can't wait to see the rest.

As you say this, my Atlanta concept was inspired heavily by your take on it, so don't feel too down! (I do look forward to another run of your crossover series, though; that was a fun follow)

And glad you liked Toronto! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National League EAST

SC Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia

Founded: 1876

Championships: 3 (1914, 1957, 1995)

Atlanta Braves Logos

24215680116_f9d6e739e9_c.jpg

For Atlanta, I decided to follow the approach that jdp went with his Braves soccer crossover concept, adding a few more details along the way. The crest is a very tedious redraw of the very detailed alternate logo, with not that many things added to it save for the scroll and changes in the text (white instead of read for the "1976"). The scroll reads "Fortis et resurgens" (Latin for "Brave and rising"), as a reference to both the Braves name as well as the motto on the Atlanta city seal (The motto is inspired by the city's rebirth following the Civil War).

The kits are basically a combination of eras look, with the feather pattern from the 1970s' Hank Aaron era used with the current color scheme with navy blue. The home kit is a simple red/white/blue kit, while the clash jersey more accurately represents the 1970s home uniforms, with the stripe styled like the tomahawks in the logo. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Coca-Cola (though I don't know if they'd appreciate being around Pepsi colors).

Up next, Texas!

~ Daryl

Well, that braves concept is pretty. I like it.

Thank you! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

American League CENTRAL

Texas Rangers SC

Arlington, Texas

Founded: 1961

Championships: 0

Texas Rangers Logos

23631290723_09f077b5c6_c.jpg

The moment I saw this 1994-2002 alternate logo, I instantly knew that I had to go this direction to embrace the team's namesake, the legendary Texas Rangers law enforcement agency. However, that logo was a bit too detailed for my liking, so I decided to strip it down to its core element: the single lone star, which is both on the Texan flag and also a badge of the Rangers. The scroll also has a star-less Texan flag pattern on both of its ends. I retained the red/white/blue color scheme and added khaki to the mix, as a nod to the uniforms of the Rangers. While the official logo has the scroll, the version on the kits don't have it; I wanted to keep it simple because I wanted a badass look that Texans would be proud of.

The home kits are a two-toned, blue kit, whereas the clash kit is merely a red version of it; both these kits were inspired by the alternate uniforms that the baseball Rangers wear. Instead of using the Rangers' number font, I opted with the New Orleans Pelicans' font, as the circles in the Pelicans font better matched the ends of the star on the crest than the diamonds on the Rangers' font. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is Dallas-based AT&T.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be taking on the Cubs next, and I have one request from you all: what name suggestions do y'all have for the two Chicago teams? I'm considering "Chicago North" and "Chicago South" or something like that, but if any of you have better suggestions, I'd happily accept them! :)

~ Daryl

Just out of curiosity, why not keep the name "Cubs?"

In my attempts to soccerize the MLB, I'm trying to keep the naming conventions appropriate for European soccer (which I kinda like for some reason). That means minimizing nicknames as much as I can in the official name (nicknames aren't all too common in European soccer). And since the Chicago teams are much older teams, I'm trying to aim for soccer names that sound like they were made over a century ago.

I do intend on retaining the nicknames, though, through visual elements in each crest rather than just using the nickname outright (for my Cubs crossover, I plan to have bears on either side of a shield.

Archived