Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings III: MLB-As-Soccer Crossover (COMPLETED!)

TheGiantsFan

I think North and South are sufficient names for the Chicago teams. Interested on what you'll do for the Cubs, considering they haven't had too many looks. And for the other concepts:

I think Arizona looks good, but the clash could use either brick or teal pinstripes

Toronto is just a beautiful concept all together, you refrained from making the look scream Canadian, which is definitely a welcome change. And you captured the beauty of Umbro kits as well.

Atlanta is fine, nothing too groundbreaking here

Dallas is great because it's very simple, yet manages to capture the team's branding.

I'm excited to see what's in store for my Tribe and Cubs :P

That's what- She

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be opposed to north and south, but I think it would be cool if you mimicked a city where both teams use the city name such as Manchester. The series looks great and I like what you did for my braves. Keep up the great work man!

I think North and South are sufficient names for the Chicago teams. Interested on what you'll do for the Cubs, considering they haven't had too many looks. And for the other concepts:

I think Arizona looks good, but the clash could use either brick or teal pinstripes

Toronto is just a beautiful concept all together, you refrained from making the look scream Canadian, which is definitely a welcome change. And you captured the beauty of Umbro kits as well.

Atlanta is fine, nothing too groundbreaking here

Dallas is great because it's very simple, yet manages to capture the team's branding.

I'm excited to see what's in store for my Tribe and Cubs :P

I decided to stay pretty conservative with the Cubs, which you'll see in just a bit! :)

I actually experimented with brick pinstripes on the Arizona clash, but it just didn't look good, in my eyes. And what I ended up with kinda also works with the color balance of the whole clash kit, so...

I was looking at a red clash kit for Toronto, but Canadian modesty wanted me to tone it down and relegate it (mostly) to just little details on the logos and the kits. :P

Glad you liked those, as well as Atlanta and Texas! :)

I've still got quite a while before I reach Cleveland in this series, but I'm already considering a look that one would expect more in Oklahoma than in northern Ohio; stay tuned! :)

I wouldn't be opposed to north and south, but I think it would be cool if you mimicked a city where both teams use the city name such as Manchester. The series looks great and I like what you did for my braves. Keep up the great work man!

With your suggestion in mind, I'm kinda considering naming the White Sox team "Chicago City" or something like that, as U.S. Cellular Field is physically closer to downtown Chicago than Wrigley is. I was looking at going with neighborhood names for it, but my relative lack of knowledge of Chicago's neighborhoods drew me away from that.

Glad you liked this series, and what I did for your team! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

National League CENTRAL

Chicago North SC

Chicago, Illinois

Founded: 1876

Championships: 2 (1907, 1908)

Chicago Cubs Logos

24278504475_4a6d3ac647_c.jpg

For Chicago's Northsiders, I decided to use a logo that's basically a modified version of this German-style Chicago Bears crest by the folks at Football as Football, which itself I assume is inspired by Bayer 04 Leverkusen. I tweaked the bear in that Bears concept to resemble the bear in the current Cubs alternate logo. For the "CNSC" logo, I decided to use the thinner strokes of the Cubs' 1957-1978 primary logo, so that it would make for a rather timeless look. At the bottom of the crest, there are references to "Eamus Catuli!, (translated loosely from Latin as "Let's go Cubs!"); the two blue stripes of the Chicago city flag; and the famous Wrigley Field ivy. Just like what I will do with the White Sox later on in this thread, I'm using the distinctive six-pointed star from the Chicago flag to denote championships. As another reference to the Chicago flag, I had originally intended to lighten the blue with this CNSC look, but since royal blue is deeply embedded in Cubs tradition, I decided to not make changes to the color scheme.

CNSC's simple kits are basically a modernized, soccerized version of the Cubs' uniform set for most of the 1980s, with the classic Cubs pinstripes on the home and the blue clash kit. To not clash too much with the Yankees' pinstripes, I decided to add red trim all over the home kit. The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor* is Allstate.

* I was going to make Chicago-based United Airlines the sponsor for CNSC, but I later read that the Cubs in 2015 switched to American Airlines for their official airline. For the White Sox it will be~

Up next, expect something pretty wild out of Tampa Bay!

~ Daryl

EDIT (1/10): At the suggestion of mamiller99, I switched the shorts options: the home kit now has blue shorts, while the clash kit now has white shorts.

Dat's kewl, i liek it.

Thank you~

I love all of these! Only suggestion is that the Braves kit reminds me of Pepsi. It seems odd to have Coke as the sponsor (which I totally get) but have a shirt that screams Pepsi (thick white line b/w blue and red)

Glad you're liking 'em! :)

I do understand your concerns there; I myself realized that after I finished coloring and doing the marker stuff, so it was pretty much too late to change the sponsor. (I would've had Delta Airlines instead)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

American League EAST

Tampa Bay United

St. Petersburg, Florida

Founded: 1998

Championships: 0

Tampa Bay Rays Logos

24259759746_042f7be8cb_c.jpg

Because the Rays are 1) a 90s expansion team and 2) a team from Florida, I had plenty of excuses to go all-out with this one. This look for Tampa Bay United combines civic imagery (the ropelike pattern outlining the crest are taken from the city seals of both Tampa and St. Petersburg) and the two interpretations of a ray the Rays base their identity around: the devil ray and rays of sunshine. Tampa Bay United relies heavily on the ray-diance of the Rays' fauxback identity, with the bright colors and the sunray pattern taken from that faux-70s look.

Like the overall identity, the kits are inspired by the fauxback uniforms that the Rays have donned in the last few years. The home kit has the light blue sleeves of the home fauxback, with the yellow torso added. The clash kit has the yellow sleeves and the light blue torso of the road fauxback. Both kits I added the sunray pattern from the crest. The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and the sponsor is Publix.

Up next, Cincinnati!

~ Daryl

Wow, both of these concepts are very great.

One little nitpick for the Cubs is that you should switch up the pants, as often times the jerseys are a different color than the pants

I love Tampa for the reason that you kept to UA's templated look, but still manage to make it unique

That's what- She

Wow, both of these concepts are very great.

One little nitpick for the Cubs is that you should switch up the pants, as often times the jerseys are a different color than the pants

I love Tampa for the reason that you kept to UA's templated look, but still manage to make it unique

Glad you liked those two teams! :)

At your suggestion, I updated a few days ago the Cubs post with the new shorts options. Thanks for the heads up on that one!

These last couple teams have been brilliant.

Might I suggest Starbucks as the sponsor the the Mariners?

Thank you! :)

I was intending on using some kind of Nintendo sponsorship for Seattle (since Nintendo has part ownership of the Mariners), but I can certainly change it to Starbucks at your request. Stay tuned! :)

All of these are great. You really have a talent. I really enjoy your template.

Thank you, on all accounts! :)

That. Design. Is. Awesome. I wouldn't have even thought of that design for Tampa.

Considering Florida is the Sunshine State, that design inspiration wouldn't be too hard to find...

------------------------------------------------------------------

National League CENTRAL

Cincinnati 81

Cincinnati, Ohio

Founded: 1881

Championships: 5 (1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990)

Cincinnati Reds Logos

24349081915_33254d9095_c.jpg

In creating the Reds' soccer look, I decided to combine the city's ethnic history (many of Cincinnati's immigrants were of German descent) and rich baseball history. I chose the German-style name of "Cincinnati [18]81", as many German teams do to denote their founding dates. The "C" inside the shield is a combination of eras, in a sense: the Gothic "C is taken from the 1890-1899 primary logo, with the diamond "notch" at the outer part of the crest taken from the 1905 primary logo, which itself is a subtle reference to the wishbone "C" of today. The two red stripes behind the "C" is a nod to the striped pillbox cap worn by Mr. Redlegs. "81" is featured at the bottom, in the distinctive Reds number font that I wanted to keep.

The home kit is a very simple, all-red kit with white, pillbox stripes at the upper torso. The clash kit is a nod to the Reds' old sleeveless uniforms, minus the pinstripes; the three red "stripes" of the upper torso are an obscure reference to the flag of Cincinnati. Both kits feature red shorts, as the Reds were known as the Redlegs around the late 50s/early 60s. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Duracell Batteries, a brand of Cincinnati-based Procter & Gamble.

Up next, Seattle! (The output of these won't be as fast as last week, as school is back in session for me now)

~ Daryl

Guest darkpiranha

Awesome! I have to admit when you first mentioned you were next doing a baseball-as-soccer series, I expected it to just be slapping MLB logos on soccer jerseys, like most everyone else does. But this is great. Amazing extrapolations. Early vote for winner of the youngest Creamer award ever.

Awesome!  I have to admit when you first mentioned you were next doing a baseball-as-soccer series, I expected it to just be slapping MLB logos on soccer jerseys, like most everyone else does.  But this is great.  Amazing extrapolations.  Early vote for winner of the youngest Creamer award ever.

It might be tempting at times to simply use an existing MLB logo on these soccer concepts, but most of the time, I end up abstaining from it (such as Toronto). Other times, however, an MLB logo is just asking to be used for a soccer logo (like Atlanta, and my future Kansas City concept, for example). 

Glad you're liking it! :)

Someone! Get Daryl a Creamer now! His stuff is amazing!! Including this concept.

Thank you! :) That'd be pretty cool if that happens...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

American League WEST

Maritime Seattle

Seattle, Washington

Founded: 1977

Championships: 0

Seattle Mariners Logos

24148158580_0a89bae395_c.jpg

My soccerized Mariners is both a combination of eras and a combination of civic symbols. Firstly, the navy blue/teal/yellow color scheme is a combination of today's color scheme with the color scheme of the past. The compass rose I used is a modified version of the alternate Mariners fauxback logo. The roundel is taken from the flag of Seattle. I adapted the Mariners nickname into this soccer concept by turning it into "Maritime", similar to what I did to my Maritime Long Beach concept in the CSL. 

The home kit is Nike's statement that they too can use three stripes a nod to Seattle's first MLB team, the one-year stint of the Seattle Pilots, as well as the trident logo that the team apparently never did well with; teal is featured very prominently in this one. The clash kit combines the Mariners' late-90s sleeveless jerseys with the stereotypical sailor stripes. The font I used is the distinctive number font used only on the road alternate jersey for some reason. The kits are supplied by the Pacific Northwest's own Nike, and the sponsor, at the request of coco1997, is Starbucks (I was originally going to go for a Nintendo sponsorship, as Nintendo is a majority owner of the Mariners).

I'll admit that I'm not the most content with this concept, as I kinda sacrificed cohesiveness as I was trying to do too many things with this. :/

Up next, Colorado!

~ Daryl

EDIT (1/19): Changed the clash shorts from a predominantly-teal shorts to a teal version of the home shorts.

I think it looks great. Keep it up!

Thank you, sir! :)

Beautiful job on the Mariners! Very cool that you worked in elements of the Pilots, too.

I like it, it's a good mix of pilots and Mariners eras.

Glad y'all liked the inclusion of the Pilots' elements! :)

Wonderful job on all of these! I really like the idea with Tampa and upon seeing the Cincinnati concept I immediately showed it to my baseball-hating soccer-loving friend who agreed that it was fantastic. Thanks for sharing your work!

It's certainly my pleasure, and I'm glad that you and your friend like 'em! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

National League WEST

Denver SC

Denver, Colorado

Founded: 1993

Championships 0

Colorado Rockies Logos

23847966603_543198cfbf_c.jpg

What the Rockies have going on now (since their inception, actually), while pretty simply and rather classy, doesn't really fit with a "rocky" theme; that is, the curvy, serif font they use doesn't really go for the ruggedness its name might suggest. So for my soccerized Rockies, I made a tougher-looking look. The shape is a diamond (the shape is also slightly inspired by the Rockies' 20th Anniversary patch), which goes along very well with the jaggedness of my redrawn mountains. This also is right on par with the flag of Denver, with a soccer ball replacing the sun on the flag. I kept the basic purple/black color scheme, but lightened up the silver as a nod to the snowy Rocky Mountains the team is named after.

The home kit turns the home jersey's pinstripes into a two-tone, purple hooped design. The clash kit takes the lightened silver and puts it with a sublimated mountain pattern. Both kits pay an homage to the Denver Bears/Zephyrs (Denver's hometown baseball team before the Rockies; this franchise is now in New Orleans) through the shoulder stripes and the random spots of black near the collar. The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is Coors.

Up next, Oakland!

~ Daryl

EDIT (1/19): I darkened the shade of the "lighter" purple

Archived