Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings III: MLB-As-Soccer Crossover (COMPLETED!)

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

Marlins look incredible.  BOLD.  I'd buy this today if you made it available.  (Hint, you guys all really need to start putting these things on T-shirts and hats... we'd totally buy them.)  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2016 at 5:49 AM, coco1997 said:

Very nice! That crest on the home jersey is beautiful.

Thank you! :)

On 2/6/2016 at 11:50 AM, RedfieldNick said:

Guess who's back? Back again! Daryl's back! Tell a friend!

In all seriousness, the Miami designs are amazing.

I ain't going away anytime soon! Glad you liked Miami! :)

On 2/7/2016 at 5:04 PM, darkpiranha said:

Marlins look incredible.  BOLD.  I'd buy this today if you made it available.  (Hint, you guys all really need to start putting these things on T-shirts and hats... we'd totally buy them.)  

Thank you very much! If there's any team that anyone could go all-out on, it would have to be Miami.

And your idea would be pretty cool if we had the capabilities of doing so. Haha...

On 2/7/2016 at 8:57 AM, BetweenThePipes said:

These are really great, the precision on the logs is absolutely incredible. Keep up the good work! 

Thank you very much! :)

On 2/11/2016 at 5:36 PM, ckunz said:

Just looked through this whole thread and I'm amazed at these. they look awesome! How long does it take you to complete one of these? I loooooovvvvveeee the Denver concept

Thanks for following along, and I'm glad you're liking them all, especially Denver! :)

If I did one team concept in one sitting, I'd take two or three hours to physically draw it onto the paper. The concept making takes much longer, though. All that doesn't factor school and whatnot, extending what is usually a few hours to days or even weeks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

American League CENTRAL
Twin Cities United

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Founded: 1961*

Championships: 2* (1987, 1991)

* The actual Twins team does not really recognize its time as the Washington Senators, so I decided to leave the 1901 establishment date and the 1924 championship behind

Minnesota Twins Logos

25068860121_4b6ee63c93_c.jpg

I'm starting to really like the 2015 addition of "Kasota Gold" to the Twins' color scheme, so I decided to make it a large part of my soccerized Twins. The overall shape of the crest is inspired by this alternate logo, the 2010 Target Field inaugural season logo, and the 2014 All-Star Game logo; the shape is inspired by the alt and the ASG logo, the scroll taken from the Target Field logo, and the outline from the alternate logo. On the end of the "scroll" on either side of "Twin Cities United" is a map outline of the state of Minnesota. The river scene from the Minnie and Paul logo is carried over, albeit without Minnie and Paul shaking hands (that's a bit hard to translate into soccer).

Both the home and clash kits are two-toned blue and red, respectively, kits separated by a wavy line representing the Mississippi River that separates the Twin Cities, who are represented with the two halves of the jerseys. Both kits feature Kasota Gold shorts. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Target.

Up next, Milwaukee!

~ Daryl

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Twins look fantastic. You've made much better use of the gold than the Twins themselves have! 

Can't wait to see Milwaukee. Lots of different directions you can take with that one. 

I do agree with your statement about the Twins' gold; their application of it is fairly inconsistent. Glad you liked it, though! :)

As for Milwaukee, I decided to go with a German-style route, which you'll see in just a bit...

3 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

For Hand Drawn, this is stunning work!

I'm not even a soccer fan and I like the majority of these kits.

Thank you! Glad you're liking them! :)

While I don't pay attention all too much to the sport of soccer, I really, really like the aesthetics of soccer, with the greater flexibility in design of soccer kits.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

National League CENTRAL
SC Milwaukee

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Founded: 1969

Championships: 0

Milwaukee Brewers Logos

25085326311_c6bfc1d90a_c.jpg

The moment I decided to take on this series, I instantly knew that I had to go German-style with the Brewers crossover, due to Milwaukee's heavy German influence. The crest is based off the simplicity of German Bundesliga logos, which combines a shape inspired by the Brewers' batterman, an "M" (more on that in a bit), and a stripe pattern that uses the colors of the 1974-1977 road cap. The "M" is a combination of several eras, with the bottom edged like the first "M" cap logo and the top edged like the "Motre Bame" era cap logos. The colors are a combination of navy blue, athletic gold (like their new alternate jersey), with the "barley" gold relegated to trim and the clash jersey.

The home kit is a simple navy blue/athletic gold, vertically-hooped jersey. The clash kit is a predominantly-white jersey with a "barley" gold gradient; the gradient forms a pattern inspired by the wheat stalk pattern of the Brewers' current logoset. The font I used is the font used during the "Motre Bame" era, because that font matched very well with the "M" from the crest. The kits are supplied by Adidas (because of the area's German influence), and the sponsor is Miller.

Up next, Anaheim!

~ Daryl

PS: Does anybody have any suggestions about what I could do for the Angels crossover? Would incorporating elements of the Disney era be controversial, perhaps? Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

Such a fantastic detail for the Twins: the state outline serving as the ends of the banner. The rest of the Twins and the Brewers are good, but that banner detail really stood out to me. Kudos.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Brewers look great! You made me actually not mind their current drab color scheme.

As for the Angels, I have more faith in you to adapt their Disney era periwinkle/navy/red color scheme better than the Angels organization did back in the '90s. ;)

10 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

You should have reversed the gold/white in the clash, so it looks like a foamy mug of beer.

That would be amazing!!

I like both concepts, and I find the Target logo on the Twins funny because it looks like they're giving opponents a target to hit them.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2016 at 9:38 AM, jdp said:

Such a fantastic detail for the Twins: the state outline serving as the ends of the banner. The rest of the Twins and the Brewers are good, but that banner detail really stood out to me. Kudos.

The state map at the ends of the banner was just a clever opportunity waiting to be taken, as the shape of Minnesota already resembles an end of a scroll enough. Glad you liked it! :)

On 2/22/2016 at 1:35 PM, coco1997 said:

Brewers look great! You made me actually not mind their current drab color scheme.

As for the Angels, I have more faith in you to adapt their Disney era periwinkle/navy/red color scheme better than the Angels organization did back in the '90s. ;)

The Brewers' navy and gold color scheme is actually quite a pleasant color combo, if used correctly. Glad you liked Milwaukee! :)

As for the Angels, I followed your very approval, which you'll see in just a bit...

On 2/23/2016 at 8:05 PM, Bomba Tomba said:

You should have reversed the gold/white in the clash, so it looks like a foamy mug of beer.

That would be a pretty cool possible third kit for Milwaukee! Haha...

On 2/23/2016 at 6:48 AM, RedfieldNick said:

I like both concepts, and I find the Target logo on the Twins funny because it looks like they're giving opponents a target to hit them.

Glad you liked both of them! :)

The target is more iconic for Target than the wordmark, so it was practically inevitable. Haha...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

American League WEST

Angels SC of Anaheim

Anaheim, California

Founded: 1961

Championships: 1 (2002)

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Logos

25398078152_bd56065a6c_c.jpg

Firstly, the name. The "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" name, like many other people on here, is an utterly ridiculous name, so I omitted any reference to LA (Orange County is a whole different place!), but kept the "of Anaheim" part because it'd continue to pay homage to Anaheim. The crest, like this entire identity, is a combination of eras; most obviously, it combines the current "A" logo, and its navy blue and silver color scheme with the periwinkle of the Disney-era identity of the late 1990s. In the scroll is "Angels SC" (the "of Anaheim" is solely in their official name) in the Angels' current wordmark font. Frankly, the toughest part of making the Angels was the St. Louis Cardinals, who also have a red/navy blue color scheme (the Washington Nationals weren't too much of an issue, though); to solve this issue, I put greater emphasis on navy blue for the Angels, and used the silver from the current halo instead of the yellow halo that was used in the past (because I'm planning to incorporate some yellow to translate the Cardinals' birds-on-bat into a soccer context).

The home kit is a relatively simple jersey, with red sleeves and the [striping?] laid out in a way to form an "A" at the front of the jersey; the middle of the jersey uses two shades of sand as a nod to Southern California's famous beaches. The clash jersey is a nod to the blue-sleeved uniforms that the Disney-era Angels wore, with a periwinkle center and striping that matches the coloration of that era's wordmark. The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and, in true Californian fashion, the sponsor is In-N-Out Burger.

Next up, we're heading to Queens!

~ Daryl

PS: As I conceptualize the Mets, should I consider a predominantly-orange clash jersey? I ask because the Mets have no real history with orange jerseys, save for the "Los Mets" jerseys, and that I have the orange-heavy Giants and Orioles (maybe the Tigers, to a lesser extent) coming soon. Any suggestions on the Mets is definitely appreciated! :)

On 3/5/2016 at 2:19 PM, coco1997 said:

Angels look great. Love the inclusion of the Disney-era colors.

For the Mets, I don't have many suggestions other than to incorporate their racing stripes!

15 hours ago, JosiahWVU said:

Angels look great.

Mets I think orange would work because the MLB has a ton of blue teams. I also think you should  incorporate the racing stripes.

Glad y'all both liked the Angels! :) It was interesting seeing how the periwinkle would fit with the current color scheme...

As for your Mets suggestions, I had already been considering the racing stripes, but struggled on how to apply them. Also, I ultimately decided to keep orange as a secondary color on both the home and the clash.

-------------------------------------------------------------

National League EAST

Metropolitan SC

New York, New York

Founded: 1962

Championships: 2 (1969, 1986)

New York Mets Logos

25549703416_d96945bb3e_c.jpg

The name "Mets" is a shortened version of "Metropolitans", which I thought was just too cool to not use as a soccer team name. The overall shape of the shield is a vertically-stretched version of the seal of New York City. Inside the shield is the entire cityscape from the Mets' primary logo, complete with the bridge; the only tweak I made was an orange "sky" instead of the white sky in the logo. The "scroll" is taken from the scroll on the 2013 All-Star Game logo. Similar to the new West Ham United logo, "New York" is written at the bottom part of the crest.

The home kit is a simple blue jersey with gray horizontal stripes (more on the gray in a bit); the racing stripes famously worn by the 1986 World Series champion Mets is incorporated on both the sides as well as the arms. The clash kit incorporates the racing stripes and turns it into a diagonal sash across a gray jersey; the use of gray I emphasized because of the Mets' current fetish for gray in their current alternate selections, and also because the Mets don't have much uniform history with orange than the upcoming teams with orange. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is MetLife.

Up next, the reigning World Series champions from Kansas City!

~ Daryl

Archived