Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings III: MLB-As-Soccer Crossover (COMPLETED!)

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw all of these now, great work on all. Favorites are the brewers 2nd and the Houston home. Only criticism is the royals 2nd needs to be a different color, I think the two blues are too similar. I'll give this a 9.9/10 so far. Excellent, you always have great work with these hand drawn concepts. Keep it up I love to see them.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 6/23/2016 at 0:55 PM, coco1997 said:

Wow, the Sox turned out great! That's a spectacular combination of eras. Beautiful job!

Glad you liked how your team turned out! And thanks for all the suggestions, my friend! :)

On 6/23/2016 at 2:22 PM, JosiahWVU said:

Great job to combine both eras. 

For St. Louis I'd say red with yellow accents, as well as some powder blue too.

Thanks! :)

I contemplated on adding yellow accents, but I ultimately decided against it for reasons I'll explain in a bit; powder blue was largely out of the plan for me, though.

On 6/23/2016 at 6:23 PM, Seattle1917 said:

I'd have to say SF is my favortie so far. I also love the logo for the White Sox, great series!

Glad you're liking it all! :)

On 6/23/2016 at 10:31 PM, flyersfan said:

Just saw all of these now, great work on all. Favorites are the brewers 2nd and the Houston home. Only criticism is the royals 2nd needs to be a different color, I think the two blues are too similar. I'll give this a 9.9/10 so far. Excellent, you always have great work with these hand drawn concepts. Keep it up I love to see them.

Those two jerseys you like were certainly fun ones to make! Glad you're liking these concepts! :)

As for the Royals, I can see what you're saying about the similarity of the two blues I used, but the Royals' identity better revolves around those two colors. I could've gone with a gold or even black clash jersey, but I think the way I went still would look more smooth, in my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

National League CENTRAL

St. Louis AFC

St. Louis, Missouri

Founded: 1882

Championships: 11 (1926, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1982, 2006, 2011)

St. Louis Cardinals Logos

27642933070_f4d21d3d98_c.jpg

Going into the Cardinals, I had wanted to incorporate the Gateway Arch somehow, in the name or in the uniforms; I instead dropped this idea in favor for a more classy and simple look for a team known for its traditionalism. The crest is very simply a taller version of the 1936-1951 St. Louis Browns (now the Baltimore Orioles) shield logo with a cardinal that combines the slimmer shape (to better fit the shield) of the right cardinal in this 1949-1950 wordmark logo, the coloration of the current cardinal, and the "branch" colored black like the pre-1948 "birds on a bat". For this crest, I drew some inspiration from some old Tottenham crests.

The home kit is inspired by the cream home alternate jersey with blue collars as well as trim taken from the 1971-1991 uniform sets (this uniform made me realize just how impactful navy blue is on the Cardinals' identity). The clash kit is a very simple, dignified red jersey with white collars and navy blue trim. This traditional look has the makings of a classic Umbro kit, which supplies these kits; Budweiser is the sponsor.

As for the next team, I might need a little help on how to translate the Red Sox into soccer; New Balance is definitely in the picture, but I'd need suggestions as to how to make the Sox unique. Any suggestions are appreciated, as always! :)

Three more teams left!

~ Daryl

On 6/26/2016 at 3:04 PM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Noooo not only three! I want more!

Worry not, there'll be more sports concepts from me one way or another! :)

On 6/26/2016 at 6:16 PM, JosiahWVU said:

Great job. The cream looks great. 

For Boston, obviously red, and "Monster Green"(green monster of course).

On 6/26/2016 at 7:07 PM, coco1997 said:

The Cards look great. 

I second @JosiahWVU that you should work some Fenway green into the uniform somehow. Maybe some four-leaf clovers in the crest?

Glad y'all liked St. Louis! :)

I followed this advice and decided to incorporate green into Boston's look...

------------------------------------------------------------------

American League EAST

Boston City

Boston, Massachusetts

Founded: 1901

Championships: 8 (1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 2004, 2007, 2013)

Boston Red Sox Logos

28049833565_1ef1b232e4_c.jpg

I decided to do quite a simple look for a classic team like the Red Sox. The crest is basically the classic "B" cap logo in a shield shaped like the shield from the Massachusetts state flag. On the bottom is a scroll that reads "BOSTON CITY" in a font similar to that of the 1908 "red sock" logo, with two socks styled like the current hanging socks. There's no real reason I chose the name "Boston City", only because many Irish soccer teams use that style team name, and Boston has a huge Irish heritage.

The home kit is simply a navy blue/red hooped kit. The clash kit incorporates the distinctive "Fenway Green" (first suggested by JosiahWVU) into the hooped design of the home kit; the black and white trim is inspired by the Sox's St. Patrick's Day uniforms. Nothing much else here, the vast amount of navy blue/red teams in the MLB kinda sucked out any original kit ideas. The kits are supplied by New Balance (like the Sox's sister team Liverpool FC), and the sponsor is JetBlue.

Two more teams left!

As for what I'm gonna be doing after this series, I have quite a few options. One is to revisit my Alton Baseball League (I already have one rebranded team). The second is another California soccer league, an idea which I went into detail here. The third is to start up a soccer league for the Philippines, my native country. Any thoughts and suggestions concerning what's next is entirely welcome! :)

~ Daryl

The Red Sox look like Barcelona, another historic team.

I'm going to vote for the Philippines league next. Something different, you know? We've seen many fictional countries, and we're seen many state leagues. But I haven't seen any Pilipino (I REALLY hope I spelled that right) leagues. 

It's your decision, but that's my 2 cents.  

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

9 hours ago, Uglybus said:

I'm going to vote for the Philippines league next. Something different, you know? We've seen many fictional countries, and we're seen many state leagues. But I haven't seen any Pilipino (I REALLY hope I spelled that right) leagues. 

Yeah I'd agree with @Uglybus, you should go for a different country's fictional league. I tried a few years ago ( the pre account days) to do a Greek soccer league, but it never took of, it's really cool to do native ads for the country, there are some interesting ones though

Excellent!

On 7/2/2016 at 9:23 PM, Uglybus said:

I didn't realize the Barca resemblance until you mentioned it! Haha...

I think I'll end up doing a Filipino league after this, then~ :) ("Pilipino" is the way most Filipinos pronounce it, so you're not half wrong! :P)

On 7/3/2016 at 5:57 AM, coco1997 said:

Wow, that's a lot of green! 

Indeed! Glad you liked it! :)

On 7/3/2016 at 6:39 AM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Yeah I'd agree with @Uglybus, you should go for a different country's fictional league. I tried a few years ago ( the pre account days) to do a Greek soccer league, but it never took of, it's really cool to do native ads for the country, there are some interesting ones though

I already have a few ad ideas for the Philippines, but I'll keep it tasteful and have only one sponsor for each team, instead of one on the front, the shoulders, the back, etc.

On 7/3/2016 at 0:06 PM, JosiahWVU said:

Great look for Boston, and revisiting your Alton Baseball League would be great. And a Philippines Soccer League would be great.  

Glad you liked Boston! :) I think what I'll end up doing is redoing the ABL alongside the Phiippine soccer league~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

National League EAST

National SC

Washington, District of Columbia

Founded: 1969*

Championships: 0

* Keeping this straightforward by simply using the Expos' founding date; not gonna complicate things by using the original Senators' founding date

Washington Nationals Logos

27985630082_09dc62a5b5_c.jpg

No better team to present on Independence Day than the team from the nation's capital! National SC uses a very simple yet patriotic look in their identity. The crest has several elements of a combination of eras look from both the Montreal years as well as the current Washington years: the roundel logo is a combination of this Nationals 2006-2008 alternate logo and the Expos' 1992-2004 primary logo; the font for "National Soccer Club" is the font from the Nationals' 2005-2010 wordmarks. I decided to keep the middle of the roundel undecorated (except for the stripes) because it works for FC Bayern Munich. I kept the gold from the first five years of the Nationals to distinguish them from the other navy blue/red teams in the league.

The home kit is simply a patriotic kit with the red stripes from the American flag, with navy blue and gold trim. The clash kit is an homage to the Expos' 1969-1991 powder blue road uniforms, with the stripes from the DC flag on the upper torso. I decided to use the distinctive Nationals number font (many MLB block fonts don't have that many notches, like on the number "3", for example) over the elegant 1969-1991 Expos font, mostly because the Expos actually used the current Nationals font after 1992, so the font itself is a combination of eras. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is Marriott, which is based in the Washington metro.

To conclude this series, we will be heading a short distance up I-95 to Baltimore. Happy Fourth of July!

~ Daryl

On 7/4/2016 at 1:33 PM, Uglybus said:

That looks awesome! Great job!

On 7/4/2016 at 2:18 PM, JosiahWVU said:

Very nice! Only one more team though.

Glad you guys liked it! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American League EAST

Baltimore SC

Baltimore, Maryland

Founded: 1901

Championships: 3 (1966, 1970, 1983)

Baltimore Orioles Logos

27919478960_92e5844134_c.jpg

Very basically, the Orioles' soccer crest is heavily inspired by the Italian-style Baltimore Ravens soccer crest by the folks at Football as Football. The tweaks made to their design were incorporating the Orioles' orange and black, replacing the raven with the "realistic" oriole alternate logo (duh), and adding a black-and-white version of the Baltimore city flag inside the shield (which itself is featured at the center of the flag). 

The home kit is a two-tone orange jersey, with a sublimated flag pattern; the random splotches of black by the front neckline reflect the coloration of real orioles. The clash kit also features the flag pattern, albeit gray-on-white and only on the front and back of the jersey (not extending to the sleeves). The kits are supplied by Baltimore-based Under Armour, and the sponsor is the spice company McCormick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that concludes this seven-month journey in making soccer concepts out of MLB teams! Glad to have had all of you along for the ride, and thanks always for all the suggestions and feedback! :)

I might make compilations and stuff for this MLB-As-Soccer series, but I'll see if I'm motivated enough to make them within the next day or two. Haha...

As for what's next, I plan on concurrently creating the Filipino Premier League alongside remakes of my old ABL baseball teams. I should begin work on them before the end of the month and into early August (I don't start college stuff until the 19th of August. Go [CSUMB] Otters!). I leave on Monday night for two weeks on the East Coast, so I won't be active on here until maybe the 25th or so.

Thank you! :)

~ Daryl

Great series! Can't wait for more. I would love to see a complication of your work in this series.

One suggestion though, I think it would be great to see an Expos concept. But if not, it's okay. I guess I just don't want it to end!

IxkieML.png

Archived