NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

15 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Like most everything else on these boards, it's a matter of personal taste. I like the blue and white more than I like the blue and yellow. Sue me. 

I like it because it reminds me of Deacon Jones and he was one bad man. Both are great designs but it's nostalgic to see blue and white. 

Go A's!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/27/2016 at 3:44 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

I like the purple endzones.  The plain white lettering is nice, too.  If it were gold or white w/ a gold stroke I'd think it would be too busy. 

Back when I was a kid, in some graphic presentations (hats, pennants, Bud Grant's windbreaker), the Vikings were presented as a purple and white team, and gold was almost an afterthought. I always kind of liked that design "error"... something that's gone in this more market savvy time.

I am a little late in responding to this...

I like the purple end zones but I feel yellow outlining would be really nice.  The other thing that bugs me is how close to the goal line the letters look.  Short of shrinking the size of the letters, there's probably not much that can be done (and this is miles better than that goofy stencil font they used in the 80s for a while).

Regarding Purple/white vs. Purple/yellow/white, they definitely have some history of using very little yellow.  I do feel like some of that was just cheap/easy graphic production as opposed to a conscious decision to marginalize yellow but maybe I feel that way because most of that stuff was before my time and I saw it in "old" photos/clips.  By the time I was watching (the 80s), most of the photo-copy-looking logos, penants, etc. did not look so "photocopied" but the uniforms included very little yellow, particularly the home purple jerseys with only thin yellow outlines the Northwestern stripes.  

I guess one could argue that while the color scheme has not changed, the color balance has gone back-and-forth some.They used more yellow early on with the outlines on the numbers. I am not sure whether there was a conscious decision to limit yellow or if one-color numbers were kind of a trend.  Then they brought it back some with the 90s change and kept it for the Reebok side panel era.  Now they seem to be limiting it again.  Once again, I am not sure whether any of this was the result of conscious decisions about more/less yellow or if they just were changing the uniforms and yellow's role changed by accident.

My personal preference is for more yellow.  I prefer the color balance of the 1996-2005 and the 2006-2012 look.  Somewhat unpopular opinion is that the 1996-2005 look is the Vikings best look (followed by the very early days of yellow outlines).  Very unpopular opinion is that I prefer the Reebok look to the current look for the simple fact that I prefer the color balance...OK that look sucked (particularly the pants) and had no potential to last or be "timeless" but I think there is a blandness to the colors right now.  I do like the inclusion of purple pants and I kinda like the pants stripe. But yellow number outlines would be a huge plus.  (Side note, I really don't like the way the yellow stripe on the white jersey gets lost; it makes me wish the stripes were touching each other and maybe a think purple stripe was added below.

tl;dr...they've bounced back and forth on how much they use yellow and I favor "more."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I am a little late in responding to this...

I like the purple end zones but I feel yellow outlining would be really nice.  The other thing that bugs me is how close to the goal line the letters look.  Short of shrinking the size of the letters, there's probably not much that can be done (and this is miles better than that goofy stencil font they used in the 80s for a while).

Regarding Purple/white vs. Purple/yellow/white, they definitely have some history of using very little yellow.  I do feel like some of that was just cheap/easy graphic production as opposed to a conscious decision to marginalize yellow but maybe I feel that way because most of that stuff was before my time and I saw it in "old" photos/clips.  By the time I was watching (the 80s), most of the photo-copy-looking logos, penants, etc. did not look so "photocopied" but the uniforms included very little yellow, particularly the home purple jerseys with only thin yellow outlines the Northwestern stripes.  

I guess one could argue that while the color scheme has not changed, the color balance has gone back-and-forth some.They used more yellow early on with the outlines on the numbers. I am not sure whether there was a conscious decision to limit yellow or if one-color numbers were kind of a trend.  Then they brought it back some with the 90s change and kept it for the Reebok side panel era.  Now they seem to be limiting it again.  Once again, I am not sure whether any of this was the result of conscious decisions about more/less yellow or if they just were changing the uniforms and yellow's role changed by accident.

My personal preference is for more yellow.  I prefer the color balance of the 1996-2005 and the 2006-2012 look.  Somewhat unpopular opinion is that the 1996-2005 look is the Vikings best look (followed by the very early days of yellow outlines).  Very unpopular opinion is that I prefer the Reebok look to the current look for the simple fact that I prefer the color balance...OK that look sucked (particularly the pants) and had no potential to last or be "timeless" but I think there is a blandness to the colors right now.  I do like the inclusion of purple pants and I kinda like the pants stripe. But yellow number outlines would be a huge plus.  (Side note, I really don't like the way the yellow stripe on the white jersey gets lost; it makes me wish the stripes were touching each other and maybe a think purple stripe was added below.

tl;dr...they've bounced back and forth on how much they use yellow and I favor "more."

I agree that a bit more yellow is preferable, but I don't think it's in an effort to be a purple and white team as much as it's an effort to be a predominantly purple team, while being very traditional in their use of white (solid white numbers, white pants, etc).. I think their white jerseys could benefit by doing something similar to their white pants stripe.. Their current white pants might be my favorite pants in the entire NFL.. And as for overall color balance, they could adjust a couple small things to enhance the presence of yellow.. The wordmark is already yellow on the chest, so the NOB could be changed to yellow, or at least outlined, and the Nike swooshes on the sleeves and pants could be yellow as well.. They're kind of in the same boat as the royal/yellow rams (who had almost no white on the jersey, but used it as the NOB to tie it in) and even similar to the current giants.. I like that they're remaining somewhat traditional, but some of their modern elements would support a bit more color without corrupting their look..

8 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I agree that a bit more yellow is preferable, but I don't think it's in an effort to be a purple and white team as much as it's an effort to be a predominantly purple team, while being very traditional in their use of white (solid white numbers, white pants, etc).. I think their white jerseys could benefit by doing something similar to their white pants stripe.. Their current white pants might be my favorite pants in the entire NFL.. And as for overall color balance, they could adjust a couple small things to enhance the presence of yellow.. The wordmark is already yellow on the chest, so the NOB could be changed to yellow, or at least outlined, and the Nike swooshes on the sleeves and pants could be yellow as well.. They're kind of in the same boat as the royal/yellow rams (who had almost no white on the jersey, but used it as the NOB to tie it in) and even similar to the current giants.. I like that they're remaining somewhat traditional, but some of their modern elements would support a bit more color without corrupting their look..

That's not a bad idea.  Yellow needs purple on both sides.

I don't like the idea of outlining the name without outlining the numbers.  The wordmark is yellow on the dark jersey but not the white (for obvious reasons).  I don't want the swoosh to be yellow because that just highlights the manufacturer...actually make it yellow on the white jersey!

So why not the numbers?  To me that's the best way to provide balance.  Aside from shifting the balance to less yellow, I don't really know why one-color numbers are preferred here.  And since I want to shift it to more yellow, that's the way to go.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't like the idea of outlining the name without outlining the numbers.  The wordmark is yellow on the dark jersey but not the white (for obvious reasons).  I don't want the swoosh to be yellow because that just highlights the manufacturer...actually make it yellow on the white jersey!

So why not the numbers?  To me that's the best way to provide balance.  Aside from shifting the balance to less yellow, I don't really know why one-color numbers are preferred here.  And since I want to shift it to more yellow, that's the way to go.

I have an answer to that, I think.  Although I'm sure the main reason they went with plain white numbers is because the popular throwback they were wearing at the time of the change referenced the 70's/80's jersey with white numbers, another good reason is that (except for those problematic road jersey stripes) the yellow-gold doesn't touch the white anywhere on the uniform.  Which I think is a good thing.  On the helmet, home jersey, home and road pants, all of the yellow/gold elements are bordered by purple (or black) and there is no fuzzy yellow-on-white borders (to me, gold on white outlines always bleed fuzzy from any sort of distance).  I like that a lot.  Plus, the plain white numbers (like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, the Giants) have a tougher, classic feel to me.

I agree with the road jersey stripes being a bit of a problem because of that, although it doesn't really bother me. If they reworked those stripes to better match the stripes on the white pants, I wouldn't mind... it would definitely solve the issue. And they would look more cohesive when wearing all white.  But its by no means a necessary change IMO.

As for getting more yellow/gold onto the uniform in general, I have a suggestion.  They could do the NOB in gold on the purple jersey, like has been suggested, then do a gold NOB with a purple outline on the white jersey.  That's how the Steelers solve that issue, and I've always loved it there. The same with the small wordmark. Gold on the purple and gold w/ purple stroke on white.

But overall, I love the Vikings' new look. (it's still considered new, right?)  The only change that I'd call absolutely necessary is to add a second pair of socks to be worn with the purple pants.  If they had white road socks with stripes that match the white jersey's stripes, they'd have the best uniform in the current NFL, in my (absolutely biased) opinion.

22 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I have an answer to that, I think.  Although I'm sure the main reason they went with plain white numbers is because the popular throwback they were wearing at the time of the change referenced the 70's/80's jersey with white numbers, another good reason is that (except for those problematic road jersey stripes) the yellow-gold doesn't touch the white anywhere on the uniform.  Which I think is a good thing.  On the helmet, home jersey, home and road pants, all of the yellow/gold elements are bordered by purple (or black) and there is no fuzzy yellow-on-white borders (to me, gold on white outlines always bleed fuzzy from any sort of distance).  I like that a lot.  Plus, the plain white numbers (like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, the Giants) have a tougher, classic feel to me.

I agree with the road jersey stripes being a bit of a problem because of that, although it doesn't really bother me. If they reworked those stripes to better match the stripes on the white pants, I wouldn't mind... it would definitely solve the issue. And they would look more cohesive when wearing all white.  But its by no means a necessary change IMO.

As for getting more yellow/gold onto the uniform in general, I have a suggestion.  They could do the NOB in gold on the purple jersey, like has been suggested, then do a gold NOB with a purple outline on the white jersey.  That's how the Steelers solve that issue, and I've always loved it there. The same with the small wordmark. Gold on the purple and gold w/ purple stroke on white.

But overall, I love the Vikings' new look. (it's still considered new, right?)  The only change that I'd call absolutely necessary is to add a second pair of socks to be worn with the purple pants.  If they had white road socks with stripes that match the white jersey's stripes, they'd have the best uniform in the current NFL, in my (absolutely biased) opinion.

That's probably the main reason (I love when non-uni-geeks were happy the Vikings went to "throwback" uniforms...haha.  But there is a "throwbackness" to the "feel.")  A secondary reason could be that it's kind of a trend to have one-color numbers for teams that (in my opinion) should have two-color numbers (Stars; Canucks; 49ers bringing it back; NY Giants).  Perhaps the whole "traditional teams do it" (Packers, Browns, Giants, Steelers) played in in the 70s and/or today.  Maybe even the idea that the Viking Ship Serif font may not work as well with outlines?  But "throwback popularity" is probably #1.

We'll probably never agree...I just want there to be more yellow and feel that outlined numbers are the best way.  I don't like the Steelers solution to the problem as having the more complex NOB over a simpler number looks odd. 

POTD (Shared)

On May 28, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Around the Horn said:

Is the Vikings stadium opening this year?

Yep and it's amazing. Did a tour last week. My fiancé and I are he second couple getting married there. The private club rooms are Insane.

image.jpeg

I wouldn't call the Steelers NOB "complex", since the outline is obviously just to make the yellow letters stand out against the white background.  I get that technically it is more complex than single-colored twill, but at least to my eye it doesn't clash with the single-colored number - probably because the outline matches the number.

I think that single-color numbers can make a uniform look "strong" when there's lots of details or flair in other places, such as sleeve stripes / patterns, neckline, etc.  It not only provides good contrast against those elements, but since numbers are usually the focal point of the uniform, the lack of flair there allows for good balance against the other details rather than "stealing the show" from them.

It certainly doesn't work for every team and every number style, but some some it looks great.  I think the Bills should definitely have gone the single-color route.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

26 minutes ago, tajmccall said:

Yep and it's amazing. Did a tour last week. My fiancé and I are he second couple getting married there. The private club rooms are Insane.

image.jpeg

Wait so only half the roof is translucent?  It's looking like the field is getting some good natural light, but why not make the whole thing clear?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I was speaking more specifically to the purple jerseys (as it's tough to achieve the same sort of color/color balance on a white jersey that you have on a colored jersey.. A white Nike swoosh stands out as much or more than a yellow one would, but it would help the yellow balance on the purple jersey to make that change.. I would also do the NOB yellow on the purple jersey.. Not sure how I'd address those issues on the white jersey, but I'm not sure there as big of issues on the white jersey.. Fixing the stripe issue would go a long way to helping the yellow appear more vibrant and present by preventing it from blurring with the white.. A yellow swoosh would also add to the amount of yellow while subtly hiding the manufacturer presence a bit.. And apart from that, I'm ok with the general lack of yellow on the white jersey.. Most teams have a very one-sided color balance on their white jerseys, due to the importance of displaying your primary color on the white backdrop.. That's not an issue unique to the Vikings, but again, it's a MUCH smaller issue on the white jersey than the colored jersey.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wait so only half the roof is translucent?  It's looking like the field is getting some good natural light, but why not make the whole thing clear?

Well half and the entire west end, which also has the largest doors in the world that open up. It's amazingly bright. Not sure if it was a structural thing to support those doors or what.

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

2017 Pro Bowl will return to AFC/NFC format and will be played in Orlando, FL.

the Falcons and Dolphins will play this year's preseason matchup in Orlando as well

WeWQhRoH.jpg

Not shocked, it gives the Dolphins an extra week to get the new stadium on board.

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

2017 Pro Bowl will return to AFC/NFC format and will be played in Orlando, FL.

the Falcons and Dolphins will play this year's preseason matchup in Orlando as well

WeWQhRoH.jpg

I'm guessing they are big Dolphins fans. Dolphins get full color and Falcons just white.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Only the south half is translucent, which makes economical sense since the sun will be lower in the sky during the fall and winter in Minnesota. It would be a lot more expensive for not a whole lot more light if they went completely clear.

I like the Vikings being purple and white with only touches of yellow. It feels a lot more Nordic and snowy with the emphasis on white, and I like the contrast between purple and white. The yellow number trim just got in the way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

47 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

The red would clash with the aqua.

yea sort of. this is a Dolphins graphic. everything we do for game promotions (minus the schedule release where only road games featured a 1 color opponent logo) features a white opponent logo. so its not just ATL getting the 1 color treatment, we dont want any other teams colors in our own graphics/promotions. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived