NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

6 hours ago, Buffalo said:

I prefer the old block script Vikings wordmark

884.gif

I have a deep nostalgia-love of this wordmark, visually.  Every time I see it it reminds me of this poster I had in my room in the 70's...

DC012211-LL.jpg

(Check out the mistake on the pants stripe!)

However, from a strict design standpoint, I think the current wordmark is better on all counts.

Minnesota_Vikings_wordmark_(1961_-_1981)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I have a deep nostalgia-love of this wordmark, visually.  Every time I see it it reminds me of this poster I had in my room in the 70's...

DC012211-LL.jpg

However, from a strict design standpoint, I think the current wordmark is better on all counts.

Minnesota_Vikings_wordmark_(1961_-_1981)

This. (minus having the poster)

On 6/1/2016 at 0:19 PM, tajmccall said:

Yep and it's amazing. Did a tour last week. My fiancé and I are he second couple getting married there. The private club rooms are Insane.

image.jpeg

Wow that is gorgeous! I like open air stadiums more but I do like it when they bring natural light into a building like this.

YVRMUBj.png

23 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

2017 Pro Bowl will return to AFC/NFC format...

This is good to hear.  

I have no stake in this whatsoever; yet it really bugged me that the NFL was playing the Pro Bowl as a "choose-up sides" game.  That was so cheesy.  (It also bugs me that it is played the week before the Super Bowl rather than the week after.  But I doubt that that will be changing.) 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is good to hear.  

I have no stake in this whatsoever; yet it really bugged me that the NFL was playing the Pro Bowl as a "choose-up sides" game.  That was so cheesy.  (It also bugs me that it is played the week before the Super Bowl rather than the week after.  But I doubt that that will be changing.) 

Agreed on both counts.

19 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

DC012211-LL.jpg

Looking at this again, all kinds of memories are flooding back.  My parents got this for me for Christmas, probably in the mid-70's... I would have been 10, give or take. This may have been the actual spark for my lifelong uniform mania.  I remember staring at it for hours, being an art nerd from toddler-hood.  At some point, I realized the pants stripe was inverted.  At first I was annoyed, but then I considered that maybe the artist did it on purpose.  After all, the jersey is basically purple and white, with a small amount of gold separating those two colors.  Maybe the artist assumed (or intentionally "corrected") the pants so they would match.  I mentioned all this to my older brother, who instantly declared me a freak and idiot, said who cares, and walked away.

8 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Looking at this again, all kinds of memories are flooding back.  My parents got this for me for Christmas, probably in the mid-70's... I would have been 10, give or take. This may have been the actual spark for my lifelong uniform mania.  I remember staring at it for hours, being an art nerd from toddler-hood.  At some point, I realized the pants stripe was inverted.  At first I was annoyed, but then I considered that maybe the artist did it on purpose.  After all, the jersey is basically purple and white, with a small amount of gold separating those two colors.  Maybe the artist assumed (or intentionally "corrected") the pants so they would match.  I mentioned all this to my older brother, who instantly declared me a freak and idiot, said who cares, and walked away.

Did they have to do something like that back then?  Reading this makes me wonder.  I just remember buying football cards back then, and the player would have a helmet on without a logo.  Like they had to eliminate the logo to print the card.  They looked like the photo was taken during game play, but the logo was not on the helmet.  Plus, it would always be the player on the sidelines, or as he was walking off the field with nobody around him.

I honestly have no idea.  I just know that it bothered the Hell out of me when I was a kid.  

25 minutes ago, Harmening said:

Did they have to do something like that back then?  Reading this makes me wonder.  I just remember buying football cards back then, and the player would have a helmet on without a logo.  Like they had to eliminate the logo to print the card.  They looked like the photo was taken during game play, but the logo was not on the helmet.  Plus, it would always be the player on the sidelines, or as he was walking off the field with nobody around him.

I honestly have no idea.  I just know that it bothered the Hell out of me when I was a kid.  

Topps (the only maker of football cards back in the 70s and mid-80s) didn't have the rights to use the logos, just the players' names.  I think they tried to be extra-careful as to what kind of photos they took, to minimize the work on the backend.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Definitely draws your eye to the away team over the one color version

agreed. thats why on the 2016 schedule, the Dolphins home games feature a full color opponent logo on an aqua background. we did this so the home games would stand out the most. but, our other non-schedeule graphics (which usually only feature 1 opponent logo, like a single game ticket design) always feature a white 1 color - like above

160414ScheduleInside.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

5 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

agreed. thats why on the 2016 schedule, the Dolphins home games feature a full color opponent logo on an aqua background. we did this so the home games would stand out the most. but, our other non-schedeule graphics (which usually only feature 1 opponent logo, like a single game ticket design) always feature a white 1 color - like above

160414ScheduleInside.jpg

Will you (or have you) be the designer for season tickets?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Harmening said:

Yeah, I remember those...

1981+Topps+Wilbert+Montgomery+1.JPGIMG_20160206_0015.jpg

The pants stripe on that poster seems more like a straight forward mistake.  They makers of the poster obviously had the rights to the logos (you can see horns on the helmet) and the wordmark. 

43 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Will you (or have you) be the designer for season tickets?

i just finished the 2016 suite tickets last week. im not quite sure what we will do with all the non-suite tickets yet design wise, or how many sections are available for season ticket purchase outside of suites. still learning the ins and outs here

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

11 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, I remember those...

1981+Topps+Wilbert+Montgomery+1.JPGIMG_20160206_0015.jpg

The pants stripe on that poster seems more like a straight forward mistake.  They makers of the poster obviously had the rights to the logos (you can see horns on the helmet) and the wordmark. 

Good point.  

On June 1, 2016 at 11:19 AM, tajmccall said:

Yep and it's amazing. Did a tour last week. My fiancé and I are he second couple getting married there. The private club rooms are Insane.

image.jpeg

If you had the chance to take the tour this week instead, you'd be even happier to see that the field is finished, and it looks like a stadium ready for gameday.

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

Archived