NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

During one of the Bengals preseason games Mike Brown said there'd be some things they'd like to do next year for their 50th season. Knowing the cheap SOB that could mean something as simple as a logo patch. Personally I'm hoping for throwbacks to the 81/88 Super Bowl uniforms*. 

*That ignores the inaugural uniforms as throwbacks, but as previously stated if they wore those the team would be violating the one helmet rule in that case. Their current helmets are no longer decaled, they're painted, so a change to an all orange helmet would technically be a new helmet color and would require every player to wear a new shell, which would not comply with the one helmet rule. But the uniforms from the 80's are fair game so if they do any throwback it should be to those. 

They could use orange decals and cover the black portions.. 

14 hours ago, McCarthy said:

During one of the Bengals preseason games Mike Brown said there'd be some things they'd like to do next year for their 50th season. Knowing the cheap SOB that could mean something as simple as a logo patch. Personally I'm hoping for throwbacks to the 81/88 Super Bowl uniforms*. 

*That ignores the inaugural uniforms as throwbacks, but as previously stated if they wore those the team would be violating the one helmet rule in that case. Their current helmets are no longer decaled, they're painted, so a change to an all orange helmet would technically be a new helmet color and would require every player to wear a new shell, which would not comply with the one helmet rule. But the uniforms from the 80's are fair game so if they do any throwback it should be to those. 

I'm not sure if all of the helmets are painted or what.

09000d5d81b06d27.jpg

palmerspeed.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

7 hours ago, WavePunter said:

They could use orange decals and cover the black portions.. 

That's not a realistic solution. They'd have a hard time getting all the stripes to line up and the decals would be raised off of the helmet and would be very visible. That would look awful. 

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I'm not sure if all of the helmets are painted or what.

09000d5d81b06d27.jpg

palmerspeed.jpg

They're painted.

032714-NFL-Cincinnati-Bengals-helmet-PI-

If you click to enlarge you can really see the black stripes are on a layer below the orange layer. The picture with TO is probably a case where they had to make a quick helmet change and didn't have time to get a new one painted so they threw some decals on there. And that was 2010, it's been a while since I've seen anybody with decals on the field. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

They made that badass throwback for 70...

112654.jpg

Yes, but anniversaries ending in a zero tend to be commemorated more than ones ending in a 5 (with the notable exception of the 75th).  I would expect Washington to do something on their 70th, 80th and 90th, but not necessarily on their 85th or 95th.

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

That's not a realistic solution. They'd have a hard time getting all the stripes to line up and the decals would be raised off of the helmet and would be very visible. That would look awful. 

They're painted.

032714-NFL-Cincinnati-Bengals-helmet-PI-

If you click to enlarge you can really see the black stripes are on a layer below the orange layer. The picture with TO is probably a case where they had to make a quick helmet change and didn't have time to get a new one painted so they threw some decals on there. And that was 2010, it's been a while since I've seen anybody with decals on the field. 

They make decal vinyl in a variety of thicknesses.. They obviously decal the stripes onto the helmet to mask them for painting, so there's a template that can readily produce the exact size and shape of the stripes already available, and as you pointed out before, it's pretty easy to see that the orange is slightly raised above the layer of black below it, so it's possible... Also, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to repaint them with an orange paint containing a different base, so that a different solvent is required to remove it, so after that week, you clean the outermost orange layer off with a chemical that doesn't damage the clear coat or layers of paint below it.. Sure, all of these ideas require work, but they're all feasible for an NFL team to pull off if they really want to

17 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

They make decal vinyl in a variety of thicknesses.. They obviously decal the stripes onto the helmet to mask them for painting, so there's a template that can readily produce the exact size and shape of the stripes already available, and as you pointed out before, it's pretty easy to see that the orange is slightly raised above the layer of black below it, so it's possible... Also, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to repaint them with an orange paint containing a different base, so that a different solvent is required to remove it, so after that week, you clean the outermost orange layer off with a chemical that doesn't damage the clear coat or layers of paint below it.. Sure, all of these ideas require work, but they're all feasible for an NFL team to pull off if they really want to

It would also mean losing their helmets for 2-3 days while this gets done which wouldn't be feasible with practices needing to be done still. And that would be for two weeks in a row. So that leaves decals which I don't care how exactly you could lay them down or how thin you could make them it would clearly be seen and look ugly.

2 hours ago, msubulldog said:

This type of Jersey, minus the patch, would blend better with their yellow pants when compared to the current jersey set.

I think it'd be nice if they went to those colors full time.  The current helmet with updated colors wouldn't be bad, either.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 minutes ago, dont care said:

It would also mean losing their helmets for 2-3 days while this gets done which wouldn't be feasible with practices needing to be done still. And that would be for two weeks in a row. So that leaves decals which I don't care how exactly you could lay them down or how thin you could make them it would clearly be seen and look ugly.

I wonder if a team could do this if they had a bye week....

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

They make decal vinyl in a variety of thicknesses.. They obviously decal the stripes onto the helmet to mask them for painting, so there's a template that can readily produce the exact size and shape of the stripes already available, and as you pointed out before, it's pretty easy to see that the orange is slightly raised above the layer of black below it, so it's possible...

Also, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to repaint them with an orange paint containing a different base, so that a different solvent is required to remove it, so after that week, you clean the outermost orange layer off with a chemical that doesn't damage the clear coat or layers of paint below it.. Sure, all of these ideas require work, but they're all feasible for an NFL team to pull off if they really want to

They don't make decals that are even close to the same razor thinness as a layer of paint. No matter how thin you get them they're still going to be obvious that you have orange decals raised on top of an orange helmet. That's assuming you can match colors exactly as well. Also good luck getting them to line up over the black stripe just right. The masks they use aren't so much a template as they are a craftsman eyeballing where each individual stripe should go. This is why there's sometimes very noticeable differences between two players standing right next to each other. If you've ever applied a helmet sticker to a football helmet you know that they stretch and conform to the shape of the helmet. Getting a thin tiger stripe decal to lay perfectly on top of the painted tiger stripe would be a nightmare. That's not an option. 

I'm pretty sure the league doesn't let you repaint your shells a different color for throwback games otherwise Atlanta and Tampa wouldn't have had to drop their throwback jerseys. 

The solution that makes the most sense is just to go back to orange shells and decals, and take them off for the throwback game, which is what they did in 1994 for the league's 75th. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

What if the Bengals wore the old helmet script for the first game of the year, then took the decals off and painted the stripes on for the rest of the year? I suppose this would lock the throwback game into the first preseason game, but then again at least all the games that count would be played with the coolest helmet in the league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

54 minutes ago, Uglybus said:

The Giants are wearing grey pants today. 

IIRC aren't the gray pants for the entire preseason, paired with road whites, and used when wearing blue on the road? The whites will be for home games.

KISSwall09.jpg

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

They don't make decals that are even close to the same razor thinness as a layer of paint. No matter how thin you get them they're still going to be obvious that you have orange decals raised on top of an orange helmet. That's assuming you can match colors exactly as well. Also good luck getting them to line up over the black stripe just right. The masks they use aren't so much a template as they are a craftsman eyeballing where each individual stripe should go. This is why there's sometimes very noticeable differences between two players standing right next to each other. If you've ever applied a helmet sticker to a football helmet you know that they stretch and conform to the shape of the helmet. Getting a thin tiger stripe decal to lay perfectly on top of the painted tiger stripe would be a nightmare. That's not an option. 

I'm pretty sure the league doesn't let you repaint your shells a different color for throwback games otherwise Atlanta and Tampa wouldn't have had to drop their throwback jerseys. 

The solution that makes the most sense is just to go back to orange shells and decals, and take them off for the throwback game, which is what they did in 1994 for the league's 75th. 

If matching the orange is an issue, guess what.. You have the templated stripes that are already painted from when the helmets got painted.. And they ARE all template stripes.. They may be laid on the helmet by hand add in slightly different positions, but one set of masking stripes  is identical to another before it goes onto the helmet.. 

They do make vinyl that thin, so for one game, it could work.. 

Didn't realize they don't allow repainting, so that would change that, but there's no way they'd have to be gone for 2-3 days if your equipment staff busts their butt and starts immediately after the game.. I painted 161 helmets, clear-coated them, got pads and hardware back in, and facemasks on in 3 days by myself (had help with the facemasks).. To knock out 53 would be a piece of cake and shouldn't take more than a day and a half

8 hours ago, WavePunter said:

If matching the orange is an issue, guess what.. You have the templated stripes that are already painted from when the helmets got painted.. And they ARE all template stripes.. They may be laid on the helmet by hand add in slightly different positions, but one set of masking stripes  is identical to another before it goes onto the helmet.. 

They do make vinyl that thin, so for one game, it could work.. 

Didn't realize they don't allow repainting, so that would change that, but there's no way they'd have to be gone for 2-3 days if your equipment staff busts their butt and starts immediately after the game.. I painted 161 helmets, clear-coated them, got pads and hardware back in, and facemasks on in 3 days by myself (had help with the facemasks).. To knock out 53 would be a piece of cake and shouldn't take more than a day and a half

That's an insane amount of work just to make a handful of members of this board happy.

Archived