NFL Changes - 2016

Bill0813

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

If matching the orange is an issue, guess what.. You have the templated stripes that are already painted from when the helmets got painted.. And they ARE all template stripes.. They may be laid on the helmet by hand add in slightly different positions, but one set of masking stripes  is identical to another before it goes onto the helmet.. 

They do make vinyl that thin, so for one game, it could work.. 

This isn't Pepe Lepew where they paint his tail and pretend he's a cat. There's no vinyl that is as thin as a layer of paint and even if the orange decal matches the existing stripe or not, at that thickness it's very pliable and would be a tall order to accurately cover the existing stripe without exposing the bottom stripe. Then let's say you do manage to cover all 6 stripes without exposing any of the black stripes, GUESS WHAT now you've 6 orange vinyl decals on top of a gloss orange helmet and the likelihood of the colors and textures matching so that's it doesn't look ridiculous is zero. It would look awful. It's still not a realistic solution.

The only way they could make the arced BENGALS orange throwback helmet happen if is the NFL relaxes its ridiculous one helmet policy or working under said policy, the Bengals go back to orange shells with black decals for a season. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, the admiral said:

What if the Bengals wore the old helmet script for the first game of the year, then took the decals off and painted the stripes on for the rest of the year? I suppose this would lock the throwback game into the first preseason game, but then again at least all the games that count would be played with the coolest helmet in the league.

Everybody is overthinking it. I think all they need to do is go back to actual decals for the stripes for one season and do the decal/facemask switcheroo prior to the throwback game. Then the year after they can go back to painted helmets, which supposedly require less upkeep from the equipment staff. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not a change, just a stupid choice of lettering on what appears to be a knock-off jersey:

Voila_Capture-2016-09-02_08-24-16_AM.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

This isn't Pepe Lepew where they paint his tail and pretend he's a cat. There's no vinyl that is as thin as a layer of paint and even if the orange decal matches the existing stripe or not, at that thickness it's very pliable and would be a tall order to accurately cover the existing stripe without exposing the bottom stripe. Then let's say you do manage to cover all 6 stripes without exposing any of the black stripes, GUESS WHAT now you've 6 orange vinyl decals on top of a gloss orange helmet and the likelihood of the colors and textures matching so that's it doesn't look ridiculous is zero. It would look awful. It's still not a realistic solution.

The only way they could make the arced BENGALS orange throwback helmet happen if is the NFL relaxes its ridiculous one helmet policy or working under said policy, the Bengals go back to orange shells with black decals for a season. 

when they put the template stripes onto the black helmet before painting it, those stripes are now the EXACT same shade/texture/finish/etc as the helmet (because they've been painted along with the helmet).. is it the best solution? probably not.. that's why i also mentioned painting it.. with proper planning, it wouldn't be a huge issue to throw a layer of orange paint over the helmets (especially if the paint has a different base, so that it can be removed without damaging the paint job beneath it).. it may not be the most durable paint job, but in this case, that's not only OK, it's actually preferable since it only has to last 1 game and then be removed

3 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

when they put the template stripes onto the black helmet before painting it, those stripes are now the EXACT same shade/texture/finish/etc as the helmet (because they've been painted along with the helmet).. is it the best solution? probably not.. that's why i also mentioned painting it.. with proper planning, it wouldn't be a huge issue to throw a layer of orange paint over the helmets (especially if the paint has a different base, so that it can be removed without damaging the paint job beneath it).. it may not be the most durable paint job, but in this case, that's not only OK, it's actually preferable since it only has to last 1 game and then be removed

So now we're using the original masking stripes and putting those back on the helmets which are most definitely thicker than a layer of paint so that's gonna look really good when put back onto the helmet. It's still not a realistic solution and would look like s### no matter how you try to explain it. 

Again, an extra paint job isn't an option. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

More of a number choice type of deal, but am I the only one who thinks Derrick Henry should choose a jersey number in the 40s as opposed to a number in the 20s (he wears 2 now and apparently he likes 24) He seems to be built like a player who should wear 40-49.

He is now #22

25 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

that panther is on top of NC (which is on top of SC)... the silhouette there is of BOTH states, not just SC

and i think that logo has been around for at least a short while now..

what you said, and I believe its been in very limited use since the 2012 logo redesign.

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

that panther is on top of NC (which is on top of SC)... the silhouette there is of BOTH states, not just SC

and i think that logo has been around for at least a short while now..

Oh it is...well it still looks horrible. 

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Archived