OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

Whatever the Rams do, they need to match the blues on the helmets and jerseys. The color rush set did a good job of this by making the jersey blues navy, but whether they go back to royal or stick to navy it needs to be consistent. The old Rams set drove me crazy with the navy helmet and blue jerseys (way more so than the Giants did) and bringing it back as an alt in recent years only amplified that.

Now the blue choice is totally up to them, but the bright yellow absolutely needs to make a comeback

Why has no one said anything about the field? I personally want to see gold endzones.

I think with all the logistics of moving the team back to So. Cal, they aren't going to do a thing with the uniform at least for 2016. It is the same owner who introduced the current set. I think we may see the navy and yellow throwback a maximum amount of times, but that is about it.

The Rams have been rumored to be getting new uniforms in 2016 since like 2013. So it's possible they were getting new unis next year no matter where they played. Even if they weren't in the works, I think relocation is an exception to whatever advanced notice the NFL requires for new unis.

Like a lot of you have already said, it's more than possible that new uniforms have been in the ready, kept under wraps, just waiting for this. Obviously, their owner is a long range planner who is used to pretty much getting what he wants.

New uniforms for the '16 season are a ery strong possibility, IMO.

The Rams are one of those cases for me which leave me really torn.

I really think they're just gold pants and toilet-collar removal away from totally nailing down a top-10 look; and I actually think their current look would great outdoors in the sun or under the lights, given those gold pants come back.

On the other hand, the Crazy Legs era uniforms are one of my favorite football sets and I'd be ecstatic to see something of the sort return. And in regards to the Dickerson set, it's not my favorite, but I like it enough that if it came back, I'd be fine.

I suppose the only option I'd really oppose is a total "new" rebrand. I will say this, though; no matter what they do, I hope they keep the current ram logo. Change the colors if you need to, but don't go thinking you've got to scrap it and leave it behind. It's a very well designed and strong logo, and is worlds better than anything they had before or even the thought of modernizing anything they had before.

The Rams gold just looks washed out. I'd say either try to find somewhere between what they have now and their old look, or just go with the old look.

One upside with having a similar scheme is that it would be very easy as far as decorating the stadium. Just use blue and gold/yellow everywhere.

Agreed with everything you said. They have to leave the current colors behind in St Louis. An updated version of the L.A. Rams uniform is the only option from this point:

CYTxHH0UsAAAITZ.jpgCYkzPLdWYAAhGeQ.jpgCYlXR6aUQAAfcCY.jpg

CYlNDhvUkAA8h_9.jpg

Look at those pictures. Look at those great, bright colors. Compare that to people standing around in navy and tan. That wouldn't be a sports rally, it would just be people standing in line to buy new iPhones.

Yes, the Rams in shimmery gold looked decent a few years back, but that's best left in the past. Blue and yellow is a far better color combination, and maybe more importantly, LA embraces those colors for the Rams. Whether or not they put the Rams in what they wore in 1994 (ideal, but probably not), they need to return to those colors.

Rams should go back to the blue and yellow of the 80's

and bring back the LA Rams script from that era too

Rams = Navy and Yellow Gold unis inspired by the yellow color rush set.

Chargers = retire the name and rebrand to start anew. Maybe something like:

- Avengers (the old Arena ball team name which I liked)

- Knights (a sorely underused pro team name that could lead to a sick identity)

- Dragons (same as Knights)

- Sentinels

Per Paul Lukas: 1949 Rams, oh no.

CYnGRx9WcAAvo31.png

There is no way they go red and yellow...they are playing off the connection the Rams have to LA, and to most all fans, that means blue.

I think with all the logistics of moving the team back to So. Cal, they aren't going to do a thing with the uniform at least for 2016. It is the same owner who introduced the current set. I think we may see the navy and yellow throwback a maximum amount of times, but that is about it.

Actually, the current uniform was introduced when Kroenke was only a minority investor. Georgia Frontiere was the owner. There's no indication he was behind it, or that he has any specific connection to it.

As for the logistics, the team has been publicly talking about a possible uniform change for the past couple years. There may already be a change in the works, even if they couldn't focus on more than one thing at a time.

It sure seems like a 90's reboot is being pushed already the way every LA fan is being shown in that gear only.

The chances of a Nike-fied uni are still there, but it makes too much marketing sense to restore the Rams to their former LA look to pass it up.

As a Nike Team dealer for Lids Sports Group, disclaimer here that I have no idea or inside information on what they might do with the Rams' brand in LA.

I do have opinions based on my knowledge of the market and the industry. And I do not think for one second they will wear their current Navy/Gold sets for a day in LA.

I also do not think NFL will miss an opportunity to work with Nike to come up with something entirely new and fresh for LA. And my gut says it's been in the works for the past few years, but I truly have no idea.

However, I would not be surprised - or opposed - to see them keep elements of both segments of their past and adding something new, and by that I mean going with a Navy/Athletic Gold (Michigan) combination that takes Navy from St. Louis and Athletic Gold from LA. (If the Chargers are a lock to move, I could see them adopting the same Yellow the Chargers use, so that the stadium could be outfitted appropriately, but I believe in general they're going to keep that neutral and use LED boards everywhere for team graphics.)

Reasons I think this:

1. No one in the NFL currently uses Navy/Athletic Gold or Yellow exclusively (Chargers have Powder Blue as accent).

2. Pulls 1 color from both cities' past.

3. Makes it easy for the Chargers to change Power Blue (beautiful, unique, energetic color) to being their primary color, with Navy and Yellow as secondary colors.

4. It's new and fresh and will be distinctly "new" LA.

So then it comes to adding something new; Nike pushed the envelope in Seattle and likes 3-color schemes (Navy/Neon Green/Grey). There's 3 in Tampa, Jacksonville, and they tinkered with the Orange in Cleveland. They like to add their own touch and (subjective opinion) they are great at it. The only big redesigns that didn't get altered much were the Vikings. Even the teal & orange in Miami were altered.

Anthracite (Charcoal Grey) is huge in sports apparel & uniforms right now. It's outlasted the period of being a trend and has shown staying power. Moreso, no one in the NFL is using it. Black, of course, is another option, and one that lends great contrast to Blue/Navy and Gold/Yellow.

Look no further than the 2010 Backyard Brawl between Pitt & WVU to see how well Dark Grey and Black can truly bring out the best in a Blue/Gold color scheme.

Nike has done a fantastic job with combos at WVU over the past half decade or so. I could certainly see Grey or Black - or BOTH - being added to make this team really stand out. Used as neutral bases and for outlining, they truly highlight the primary hues.

To date, I think this is some of Nike's best work:

uspw_4975572.jpgTavon-Austin-scores-MG-0312.jpg

32897000E.jpg

Again, 100% opinion here, but I believe that the NFL will want to make a statement and work with Nike to give this new LA franchise its own identity. This would be a great way to take parts of both cities' past and add in some "new LA" for a great new look.

As much as we all would love for the Rams to either go with a straight-up throwback (definitely not happening) or new uniforms inspired by classic uniforms from the past (best option as far as I'm concerned), I would bet a good sum of money that the Rams and/or Chargers, should they move too, will end up in a "cutting edge uniform with a nearly illegible number font and VOLT replacing yellow/gold because that is what's cool right now and it's "soooo LA".

Color me surprised if the Rams and Chargers still look like themselves by the time this whole process is said and done.

My take on an alt-ish Rams logo using scraps from their STL motif.

CYmRpxPUEAITd-_.png

You've got my

6d0e240dc6b93699078941f4a2769ce345dfa392

The rams should go for: 1. A blue between royal and navy with 2. A metallic yellow-gold

I would bet a good sum of money that the Rams will end up in a "cutting edge uniform with a nearly illegible number font and VOLT replacing yellow/gold because that is what's cool right now

Are you talking about the Rams unis or your avatar? ;)