OnWis97

Los Angeles Rams Brand Discussion

2,162 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dont care said:

a league rule saying they cant wear them more than 2x each year

Well, that's a pretty good reason. Thanks for the education.

On 3/10/2017 at 6:35 PM, Gothamite said:

I really doubt that anyone at the NFL considered it a problem.  We've seen plenty of uniforms where not all colors are on all elements, and that's never raised any issue. 

Giants' jerseys (both home and road), anyone?

2 people like this

Exactly.   Case in point.  

3 people like this

14 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Giants' jerseys (both home and road), anyone?

That's different in a substantial way (design wise). The Giants use red and blue on their helmet and pants so it ties together the look. The Rams are using gold on their jersey only so it sticks out. Even if the Rams were to add gold to their socks, it would go a long way in making the overall look more cohesive.

Again, I get that 90% of the public won't notice, but that doesn't mean we should just accept it as "good enough". To me it's something that would be the difference between a B and a C for a project in one of my classes. That little attention to detail that is the difference between good and average.

RamsGoldSocks.jpg 

6 people like this

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

That's different in a substantial way (design wise). The Giants use red and blue on their helmet and pants so it ties together the look. The Rams are using gold on their jersey only so it sticks out. Even if the Rams were to add gold to their socks, it would go a long way in making the overall look more cohesive.

Again, I get that 90% of the public won't notice, but that doesn't mean we should just accept it as "good enough". To me it's something that would be the difference between a B and a C for a project in one of my classes. That little attention to detail that is the difference between good and average.

RamsGoldSocks.jpg 

That actually looks good. Great job.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

RamsGoldSocks.jpg 

The Giants and the Chiefs and the 49ers and the Rams (off the top of my head) all point out the inconsistencies in this design. I don't see it as nearly the issue you see it as.  The same colors aren't all used helmet/jersey/pants.  Maybe they should be, but historically they haven't, so no big deal.

2 people like this

16 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

The Giants and the Chiefs and the 49ers and the Rams (off the top of my head) all point out the inconsistencies in this design. I don't see it as nearly the issue you see it as.  The same colors aren't all used helmet/jersey/pants.  Maybe they should be, but historically they haven't, so no big deal.

those teams are not mixing uniform pieces of different eras (minus the recently added white pants of the Giants). that is what really makes the Rams design unique in this situation; not just a design that lacks unity and cohesiveness with color, but one that lacks unity and cohesiveness in its timeline. 

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

You are confusing an outline with an actual design element. The chiefs without an outline would look incomplete, and the 49 logo is greatly improved by adding the outline. They aren't meant to be team colors though. It's like getting mad at teams for having grey face masks without grey being anywhere else in the uniform. This is a case though of a team intentionally removing team colors from element and thus ruining a previously solid look.

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, dont care said:

This is a case though of a team intentionally removing team colors from element and thus ruining a previously boring and mediocre look.

FTFY

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I agree that the Chiefs, 49ers, and Vikings use of black outlines on their helmet logos is a similar issue, just not as glaring.

1 person likes this

Just a couple of mock-ups I made emphasizing the white, and getting rid of the gold.

hekker 5.png

hekker 7.png

3 people like this

I just don't understand why they aren't going with the royal/gold look. Blue and white is so boring. 

6 hours ago, San Diego said:

I just don't understand why they aren't going with the royal/gold look. Blue and white is so boring. 

IMG_3135.JPG

12 people like this

2 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

IMG_3135.JPG

This cannot be said enough around here. I'm not a fan of the blue and white, but I'm hoping they switch to the yellow and blue in 2019.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

IMG_3135.JPG

If you made this graphic, you are a saint.

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

IMG_3135.JPG

OK, let's not be too flippant about this.

"Why is this so hard to comprehend?", you ask?  Here's why:

First, if the ultimate goal is to end up with royal and yellow, then moving to navy and white seems like a step away from that.  "Navy/gold" --> "navy/white" --> "royal yellow" is a pretty weird trajectory.  So the move to navy and white sows doubt about whether the team will ever wind up back in its true L.A. uniforms.

Second, there's this league rule about uniforms.  The question will always linger: why didn't the Rams just break the rule?  What's the worst the league could do?  Deploy armed men to prevent the team from taking the field?  No.  The league would just fine the Rams.  Big deal.  Pay the damn fine each week; and be heroes to your fans.  If the Raiders can move without league approval, the Rams could have worn royal and yellow without league approval.  But they chose not to take this action.

On account of the foregoing, the Rams' current uniform creates confusion.  

Above all, if the Rams really intend to adopt the classic royal and yellow uniforms in 2019, they could issue a straightforward, unequivocal statement right now that says "we will be adopting the classic royal and yellow uniforms in 2019".  But they have not done this.

So the reason that people keep asking questions about the Rams' uniforms is that the Rams themselves are promoting uncertainty.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, duxrcool048 said:

rams concept.png

Oh yeah, give me that matte finish helmet pleeeeease (looks at Michigan).

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

OK, let's not be too flippant about this.

"Why is this so hard to comprehend?", you ask?  Here's why:

First, if the ultimate goal is to end up with royal and yellow, then moving to navy and white seems like a step away from that.  "Navy/gold" --> "navy/white" --> "royal yellow" is a pretty weird trajectory.  So the move to navy and white sows doubt about whether the team will ever wind up back in its true L.A. uniforms.

Second, there's this league rule about uniforms.  The question will always linger: why didn't the Rams just break the rule?  What's the worst the league could do?  Deploy armed men to prevent the team from taking the field?  No.  The league would just fine the Rams.  Big deal.  Pay the damn fine each week; and be heroes to your fans.  If the Raiders can move without league approval, the Rams could have worn royal and yellow without league approval.  But they chose not to take this action.

On account of the foregoing, the Rams current uniform creates confusion.  

Above all, if the Rams really intend to adopt the classic royal and yellow uniforms in 2019, they could issue a straightforward, unequivocal statement right now that says "we will be adopting the classic royal and yellow uniforms in 2019".  But they have not done this.

So the reason that people keep asking questions about the Rams' uniforms is that the Rams themselves are promoting uncertainty.

I also wonder whether the Chargers' move isn't part of the reason why the Rams aren't being more transparent about their plans for 2019. It would seem reasonable that the Rams don't like the idea of having two teams in the same market with the same or similar color schemes. And they can't control another franchise's branding decisions. 

So with the Chargers moving north, the Rams switch to blue and white as a differentiator for now. Meanwhile, they remain noncommital to a color scheme for 2019 in the unlikely event the Chargers rebrand, freeing up blue and yellow. 

It's just a theory. 

I don't see any reason to believe that the Rams care at all about what the Chargers do.  They're doing their own thing.

2 people like this