OnWis97

Los Angeles Rams Brand Discussion

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Seems common sense for the NFL to let them change on the move to LA and then change again on the move to the new stadium. Not sure why the NFL can't use a bit of latitude on these issues. 

Because they need to work with Nike and a number of other manufacturers. Changing to the throwbacks on short notice would have been acceptable, but Nike would have then had to ramp up production for throwback LA Rams gear while sitting on stockpiles of unsold St. Louis Rams gear. 

 

Then they, if they did what you want, would have to change gears only three years later for the redesign to coincide with the stadium. Meaning they'd be sitting on another stockpile of throwback LA Rams gear.

We're not in the early 90s anymore, where fans can get a team to cancel an unpopular new logo one day after its unveiled. Licence holders mass produce products months before official unveilings, and often produce enough merchandise to last for at least five years. 

 

That's why the NFL has the five year rule. They want to give Nike and other manufacturers a five year window to stop production of current gear so there isn't an unsold stockpile of it when a new look is introduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If so, then why can soccer teams around the world easily change their uniforms on a yearly basis? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was in Barcelona last year I went to FCB's stadium and team store (the biggest team store I've ever seen) and they were selling jerseys of all different styles.  I had to google to figure out which one was current and which was the previous years.  THere was no consistency on the rack.  I think the stripes were in different directions or something like that - vertical vs horizontal.  Nobody seemed to care, as I saw people buying both.  The NFL is super brand conscious so maybe they don't want similar situations.  Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

If so, then why can soccer teams around the world easily change their uniforms on a yearly basis?

 

Because soccer clubs introduce their new uniforms with a built-in expiration date.  And their production cycle is designed around it, scaling back on existing stock as a jersey begins to reach the end of its cycle, all the while working to ramp up supplies of the new one.  

 

The NFL, with its designs available indefinitely, has an entirely different production model.  You can't really compare the two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

When I was in Barcelona last year I went to FCB's stadium and team store (the biggest team store I've ever seen) and they were selling jerseys of all different styles.  I had to google to figure out which one was current and which was the previous years.  THere was no consistency on the rack.  I think the stripes were in different directions or something like that - vertical vs horizontal.  Nobody seemed to care, as I saw people buying both.  The NFL is super brand conscious so maybe they don't want similar situations.  Just a thought.

 

They're equally brand-conscious, just in a different way.   There the brands are drawn in broader strokes - Arsenal is a red shirt with white sleeves. Chelsea is blue shirt and shorts with white socks. Barcelona is red and blue stripes.  

 

arse50_3242863b.jpg

 

Keep in mind that it's also extremely rare for teams to change color schemes; most go back for many generations, if not over a hundred years. 

 

Because clubs change designs so often, but not colors, they can experiment within those wide parameters.  So Barcelona's stripes can be even or of varying widths.  They can be thin, or so wide that the shirt essentially becomes quartered.  The stripes can have clear, distinct lines or be gradient-fuzzy. They can even be hoops for a cycle, although I understand that hasn't gone over so well with the supporters. 

 

HmFNA.jpg

FC+Barcelona+v+Sampdoria+Pre+Season+Frie

14755536-BARCELONA-JANUARY-25-FC-Barcelo

e47909810f8075510eb21dc5fe16d3a6.jpg

 

So within those broad strokes, they're extremely brand-conscious.  Each of those pictures is identifiably Barcelona, although all the details are different.  That's because as brand-conscious as they are, they're also used to a certain amount of experimentation, which is again tied to the predetermined lifespan of every uniform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Because soccer clubs introduce their new uniforms with a built-in expiration date.  And their production cycle is designed around it, scaling back on existing stock as a jersey begins to reach the end of its cycle, all the while working to ramp up supplies of the new one.  

 

The NFL, with its designs available indefinitely, has an entirely different production model.  You can't really compare the two.  

But didn't Nike have to dump all the St. Louis stuff anyway? I get the 5yr for most teams but when a team moves it would seem they should be the exception to the rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a difference between having to get rid of some merchandise (that explicitly labeled "St. Louis") and getting rid of all of it.  

 

Much of the stiff just has the primary logo; I'd wager that there wasn't much more "St. Louis" merchandise than there was for any particular player who could be traded or cut, and teams/Nike eat that all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

There's a difference between having to get rid of some merchandise (that explicitly labeled "St. Louis") and getting rid of all of it.  

 

Much of the stiff just has the primary logo; I'd wager that there wasn't much more "St. Louis" merchandise than there was for any particular player who could be traded or cut, and teams/Nike eat that all the time. 

Exactly. The jerseys don't even include the city name! All of that old St. Louis Rams stock could be sold as Los Angeles Rams stock without much fuss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Exactly. The jerseys don't even include the city name! All of that old St. Louis Rams stock could be sold as Los Angeles Rams stock without much fuss. 

Any idea roughly what we're talking dollar wise? Seems with the money NFL teams throw around they could buy out Nike's inventory at their cost and start over. Or are we talking billions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Any idea roughly what we're talking dollar wise? Seems with the money NFL teams throw around they could buy out Nike's inventory at their cost and start over. Or are we talking billions? 

It doesn't really matter because why would a team decide to do a buy out when they can just wait alittle while and make just as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dont care said:

It doesn't really matter because why would a team decide to do a buy out when they can just wait alittle while and make just as much.

Well, I'd argue that they would sell much more royal/yellow throwback stuff if they wore that full time. I'm shocked if anyone is actually buying the St. Louis navy/gold at all. 

 

Furthermore, it would be a huge goodwill gesture to the LA fans. A way of saying we are fully done with St. Louis and are truly LA's team. We all saw the 25,000 or so that were at the late season games in LA. My guess is they need as much goodwill as they can muster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, but if they really are intending to work with fans on the finished product, that'll bring plenty of that goodwill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dont care said:

It doesn't really matter because why would a team decide to do a buy out when they can just wait alittle while and make just as much.

IMO, Because the present value of that cash flow is much greater than the value of that cash flow postponed a few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2017 at 0:07 AM, dont care said:

Come back in 2019

 

I was under the impression that since they changed their colours to blue and white that the jerseys would follow suit. Maybe I was mistaken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't know that.   The Rams claim that the plan is to unveil new uniforms when their stadium opens, uniforms designed in conjunction with fans, among others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dont care said:

On the website it sends you to it still has gold in the jersey

IMG_3398.JPG

 

 

IMG_5689.PNG

 

---

 

@infrared41 As close as the Rams are moving towards the Fearsome Foursome uniform you love, it's almost as if they're teasing you with the individual elements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now