New Orleans Saints: dog

Cleveland Browns: an elf, then a dog

Tennessee Titans: raccoon

Kansas City Chiefs: wolf

Auburn Tigers: war eagle

Phoenix Suns: gorilla

Alabama Crimson Tide: elephant

Oakland Athletics: elephant

Detroit Pistons: had a flaming horse head for a while but I don't know if you could call that a mascot

And probably the most famous one of all:

Philadelphia Phillies: The Philly Fanatic (has it ever been explained what kind of creature he is?)

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Which ones am I missing?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NHL has quite a few. Half of the league, in fact.

Detroit, Los Angeles, Colorado, Toronto, Calgary, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Buffalo, the Islanders, Ottawa, Columbus, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Chicago and Dallas all have mascots that have, at best, a tangential connection to their teams' nicknames.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

New Orleans Saints: dog

Auburn Tigers: war eagle

The Saints' costumed canine mascot that you've referenced - "Gumbo" - is a depiction of a Saint Bernard.

Auburn University's official mascot is "Aubie the Tiger". A live golden eagle - Nova, dubbed "War Eagle VII" - is the living embodiment of Auburn's battle cry, "War Eagle!"

All the teams in Calgary.

Calgary Flames = Harvey the Hound

Calgary Stampeders = Ralph the Dog, though my dad has told me Ralph used to be the mascot of a mall near the stadium years ago who the Stamps "adopted" when the mall closed.

Calgary Hitmen = Farley the Fox

Calgary Roughnecks = Howie the Honey Badger

The Roughnecks used to have a mascot version of the guy in their logo and they made the switch, amid no fanfare as it was widely hated, at around the same time the Flames bought them, so there must be some sort of Flames mascot conspiracy about using animals.

IEI5Tg1.png

Minnesota Twins

Seattle Mariners

San Francisco Giants

New York Yankees (snoopy, not sure if still in use)

Philadelphia Phillies

Cincinnati Reds

Boston Red Sox

Arizona Diamondbacks

Texas Rangers (debatable)

Kansas City royals

Cleveland Indians

New York mets

Oakland Athletics

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

The NHL has quite a few. Half of the league, in fact.

Detroit, Los Angeles, Colorado, Toronto, Calgary, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Buffalo, the Islanders, Ottawa, Columbus, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Chicago and Dallas all have mascots that have, at best, a tangential connection to their teams' nicknames.

LA, Colorado, Calgary, Tampa Bay, Chicago and Dallas all have mascots that, while not literally personifying the nickname, all represent them pretty well.

Vancouver, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Carolina, Winnipeg, Columbus, Ottawa, NYI, and St. Louis all have mascots that have absolutely nothing to do with their nicknames.

the Milwaukee Admirals' mascot is a dog. Never really got the connection, but Roscoe seems to be well liked. In any event, can't have this thread go on without a mention of Navy's goat or Army's mule.

Then you got Ole Miss' bear because portraying the Confederacy causes people to call you more evil than Hitler nowadays, and Indiana State's blue not-fox and Akron's kangaroo...I'm probably missing some.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived