3. Vettel

4. Räikkönen

5. Ricciardo

6. Bottas

7. Verstappen

8. Perez

9. Massa

10. Hulkenberg

Hamilton's mess up is Rosberg's gain. Rosberg took advantage & didn't look back at all. He's clearly showing that he is still in the hunt & isn't going to stop anytime soon. Ricciardo had the best move of the race against Bottas.

Thus we end the European leg of the season, next up Singapore.

Meanwhile three things to bring up:

- Massa announced his retirement from F1

- Button will step aside to make way for Vandroone (although not retired) (I had a feeling he would be coming up, kid's too good to not be in F1.)

- F1's sale is almost done & will be sold to Liberty Media which will hopefully see Bernie out the door & could be announced as early as Tuesday.

Results from Watkins Glen:

1. Dixon

2. Newgarden

3. Castroneves

4. Daly

5. Bourdais

6. Kimball

7. Pagenaud

8. Rossi

9. Enerson

10. Chilton

Dixon enjoys getting the first victory back at the Glen while Pagenaud expands his points lead while Power took a hit on his. Rough day for Mayor Hinch & Rahal though & Bourdais coming back from last to finish fifth! Good to see IndyCar back at the Glen though!

Next up the Season Finale at Sonoma

News & Notes for IndyCar:

- Newgarden is rumored to go to a big team (either Andretti or Penske)

- Ganassi may go back to Honda

- Bourdais signs with Coyne Racing

Finally with Formula E Audi will fully commit to a Formula E in 2017/18. I believe they won't be the only one as BMW & Honda are rumored to join them along with Renault & Jaguar & DS who are already in.

baltimoreravens.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you should be careful what you wish for but I will be glad to see Bernie step aside.

There's no doubting his role in turning F1 into what it is today. I just feel like the last 10 years or so has been too money orientated and the competition and entertainment side has been affected. With a media group looking to take over, you would hope that they want to increase the popularity by making it a better spectacle. Although F1 is incredibly popular, it isn't really geared towards attracting new (and young) fans right now but I think it could be a perfect time to improve that.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Good news: F1 has finally be sold!

Bad news: Bernie is CEO.... <_<

Liberty Media will acquire 100 percent of the shares of Delta Topco, the parent company of F1, and concurrent to that it has completed the acquisition of an 18.7 percent minority stake for $746 million.

Prior to completion of that deal, CVC Funds will continue to be the controlling shareholder of Formula 1.

The statement added: "After completion of the acquisition, Liberty Media will own Formula 1 and it will be attributed to the Liberty Media Group which will be renamed the Formula One Group.

"Chase Carey has been appointed by Delta Topco and will serve as the new chairman of Formula 1, succeeding Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, who will remain on Formula 1's board as a non-executive director.

"Bernie Ecclestone will remain Formula 1's CEO." :mad:

Ecclestone said: "I would like to welcome Liberty Media and Chase Carey to Formula 1 and I look forward to working with them."

Although I think this part could help....

Formula 1 teams will be given the chance to claim their own stake in the championship, as part of Liberty Media's takeover.

A Liberty Media statement on the takeover read: "The teams will be given the opportunity to participate in the investment in Formula 1, and the detailed terms of that investment will be agreed in due course. Certain teams have already expressed an interest in investing after completion of the acquisition."

Links:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126097/liberty-media-announces-f1-purchase

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126098/teams-will-get-chance-to-invest-in-f1

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping for Singapore & Sonoma

Results from Singapore:

1. Rosberg

2. Ricciardo

3. Hamilton

4. Räikkönen

5. Vettel

6. Verstappen

7. Alonso

8. Perez

9. Kvyat

10. Magnussen

Just like that, Nico is back as the points leader. Ricciardo almost caught Rosberg but it wasn't enough & Vettel coming from 22nd to 5th, that is impressive. Rough day for Hulkenberg becoming sandwiched by the Toro Rosso cars. Plus Renault in the top 10. 

Next up, Malaysia

Results from Sonoma:

1. Pagenaud

2. Rahal

3. Montoya

4. Hunter-Reay

5. Rossi

6. Newgarden

7. Castroneves

8. Andretti

9. Kimball

10. Bourdais

The Frenchman did it! Pagenaud is your new IndyCar champion, fitting for Penske's 50th anniversary that one of his cars wins the final race & IndyCar Championship. It has been a great season, from Hinchcliffe & Newgarden coming back from injuries, the close finish in Texas, Watkins Glen returning to the schedule & Alexander Rossi winning the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500! I'm eager to see what will happen in 2017, will Newgarden go to Penske? Will the future freeze of aerokits coming after 2017 have some effect?

See you in St.Pete next season!

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping for the Malaysian Grand Prix:

1.RIcciardo

2. Verstappen

3. Rosberg

4. Räikkönen

5. Bottas

6. Perez

7. Alonso

8. Hulkenberg

9 . Button

10. Palmer

Rough day for Vettel & Hamitlon as Seb crashed & will get a grid penalty once they get to Japan & Lewis had an engine blow up. However, it was an emotional win for Daniel Ricciardo dedicating it to Jules Bianchi.

Next up, Japan

Last but not least, we had the end of the IMSA Weathertech Championship at Road Atlanta & the end of the Daytona Prototypes. However with all the changes coming, I'm looking forward to see what this series has for next year

Prototype: Action Express

PC:  Starworks

GTLM: Corvette Racing

GTD: Scuderia Corsa

Testing will begin in November for the new regulations.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for the Japanese Grand Prix:

1. Rosberg

2. Verstappen

3. Hamilton

4. Vettel

5. Räikkönen

6. Ricciardo

7. Perez

8. Hulkenberg

9. Massa

10. Bottas

A good day for Rosberg considering Lewis had a very rough start & having Verstappen fighting. The silver arrows claimed their third straight constructors championship. Unless something drastic happens, I think its safe to say that Rosberg will more than likely going to get his first World Driver's Championship.

Next up the United States Grand Prix!

Formula E started its new season in Hong Kong, here's the results:

1. Buemi

2. di Grassi

3. Heidfeld

4. Prost

5. da Costa

6. Frijns

7. d'Ambrosio

8. Turvey

9. Engel

10. Sarrazin

Buemi off ot a good start defending his title as champion, although di Grassi isn't far behind. The driver of the day goes to d'Ambrosio  who started 18th & finished 7th, very impressive.

Next up, Morocco

Finally, some news & notes for Silly Season in open wheel

- Newgarden has signed with Penske

- Chip Ganassi Racing has gone back to Honda

- According to reports, Nico Hulkenberg will sign with Renault & will also go with a French driver so Magnussen & Palmer are gone.

- Mercedes will enter Formula E in 2018-19

- BMW will return to LeMans in 2018 in GTE with a new vehicle, won't rule out LMP1, Peugeot may come back to LMP1 but it depends on cost.

baltimoreravens.png

Bump:

Bummer if this ends up becoming real...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport/audi-set-lmp1-and-le-mans-withdrawal-updated

While Audi won’t officially be drawn on speculation it is set to bring to a close the most successful chapter in its motorsport history. High-ranking insiders close to its chairman Rupert Stadler suggest the company has made the decision to end its LMP1 motorsport engagement from the end of 2017. That gives the German car maker one more shot at adding to its haul of 13 Le Mans victories.

Among the arguments against a continuation of both Audi and Porsche in the World Endurance Championship is the fact that much of the attention around the global race series is focused on the Le Mans 24 hour race. Despite the media attention it draws, Volkswagen Group officials point out there is only ever one winner of the Le Mans race each year.

“Whatever way it turns out, one of our brands is deemed to lose,” said an insider.

The decision to end Audi’s commitment to LMP1 is also tied to a decision made by the Volkswagen Group to no longer showcase its diesel engine technology in a motorsport environment in the aftermath of its diesel emission manipulation scandal.

Together with its Le Mans program, Audi is also said to be seriously considering the future of its DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters) race program, with insiders indicating it could be heavily restructured.

Yet despite the apparent decision to end its commitment to LMP1, Audi is expected to continue to support in the rejuvenated GT3 and increasingly popular GT4 race classes. There is also speculation that some of the funds saved from the WEC withdrawal could be redirected to a works Formula E entry, which would pit Audi against likely rival entries from Jaguar, Mercedes and BMW.

So who knows? Now, if this happens? Who do you think would take Audi's spot?

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping for the United States Grand Prix results:

1. Hamilton

2. Rosberg

3. Riccardo

4. Vettel

5. Alonso

6. Sainz Jr.

7. Massa

8. Perez

9. Button

10. Grosjean

Hamilton just took the race & didn't look back. Although the late battle between former teammates Alonso & Massa was intense! Even Sainz was trying to get pass him. Rough day for Kimi & Max though. Same podium as last year!

Next up Mexico!

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for some shocking yet some would say expected news... :cry:

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/audi-to-leave-wec-at-the-end-of-2016-843080/

In a statement released on Wednesday, Audi said it will shift its primary motorsport focus to the Formula E championship - where it is partner to the Abt Schaeffler team - while maintaining its DTM programme.

A decision on its World Rallycross programme has yet to be made, with Audi suggesting it could provide works backing to the EKS team run by its long-time DTM driver Mattias Ekstrom.

“After 18 years in prototype racing that were exceptionally successful for Audi, it’s obviously extremely hard to leave,” said Audi’s Head of Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, who has overseen 13 Audi Le Mans wins.

“Audi Sport Team Joest shaped the WEC during this period like no other team.

“I would like to express my thanks to our squad, to Reinhold Joest and his team, to the drivers, partners and sponsors for this extremely successful cooperation.”

The news leaves Porsche and Toyota as the only LMP1 manufacturers entered for the 2017 season, with no others poised to join them.

I think its a matter of time before we see either the whole LMP1 series go or evolved into something else, I could see them focus solely on the GTLM series as a possibility. This however, is great news for Formula E because its showing that manufactures are seriously interested.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for the Results from Mexico

1. Hamilton

2. Rosberg

3. Ricciardo

4. Verstappen

5. Vettel (was 3rd but received 10 sec penalty for brakes)

6. Raikkonen

7. Hulkenberg

8. Bottas

9. Massa

10. Perez

Well, I know it was a dominant performance from the Mercedes and Lewis  despite his pass in the grass but they're going to be talking about Vettel and his dancing with Red Bull & his criticism of Charlie Whiting as well as Max's driving abilities. It was an awesome battle but Vettel didn't take it lightly. We shall see what happens after we hear from Race Control. Rosberg still has the lead & hopes to clinch the driver's championship soon enough.

Next up, a classic, Brazil.

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

So, as previously hinted, K-Mag is leaving Renault at the end of this season and will drive for Haas in 2017. It's hard to tell whether this is a step up or down because both teams are looking to improve next year. Renault have shown their intent by recruiting Hulkenberg and Haas will have learnt a lot from their mostly positive first season in the sport and have a good foundation to build upon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37920386

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Just now, RedRenesis said:

Well, once Whiting and the FIA got out of the way that was a fun ass race.  

That it was!

Results from Brazil:

1. Hamilton

2. Rosberg

3. Verstappen

4.  Perez

5. Vettel

6. Sainz Jr.

7. Hulkenberg

8. Ricciardo

9. Nasr

10. Alonso

Well, to say it was a wet & wild race in my opinion would be an understatement. Took out Grosjean, Raikkonen & Massa's final home race. Incredible driving from Verstappen, this kid is just, wow.  Hamilton finally wins in Brazil, now the question remains can Hamilton come back & win a 4th championship or will Nico join his dad as another father son duo to be a world champion.

Next up, the season finale at Abu Dhabi.

So the million dollar question, who wins it?

Meanwhile in Formula E for the Morroccan Grand Prix:

1. Buemi

2. Bird

3. Rosenqvist

4. Prost

5. di Grassi

6. Abt

7. Turney

8. Vergne

9. Heidfeld

10. Lopez

Buemi stayed true to form that whole race. Never skipping a beat, although I felt bad for Vergne. Good racing altogether!

Formula E comes back next year & will be in Argentina!

News & notes:

- Ferrari may join Formula E down the road

- Volkswagen is pulling out of WRC

- Ron Dennis could be out of McLaren

- Jack Hawskowrth will be going to 3GT (Lexus factory team) in IMSA
- Former F1 driver Heikki Kovalainen won the Super GT championship

- Marco Wittman is your 2016 DTM champion

- Weatertech team will have a manufacture change...

phpThumb.jpg

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

Results from Abu Dhabi:

1.Hamilton

2. Rosberg

3. Vettel

4. Verstappen

5. Ricciardo

6. Raikkonen

7. Hulkenberg

8. Perez

9. Massa

10. Alonso

This truly was Rosberg's championship to lose but he held on, so now he is up there with his dad as a world driver's champion. Although, its a bit sad to see the likes of Felipe & Jenson retiring. I think with the likes of Verstappen, I think & I hope the racing will be plentiful. The other surprise I'm happy with was Formula Haas, the fact that they scored that many points in their maiden season was amazing! I'm hopeful that they'll be able to do more next season. Then we get to see what the 2017 cars will do! It also seems that Lewis didn't want to play nice either & ignored team orders, so I imagine consequences will come, plus there was this little bit of information that was reported after the race...

With that the 2016 Formula 1 season is complete, see you in March along with IndyCar & January for another season of open wheel with the 24 hours of Daytona!

baltimoreravens.png

Archived