Shiny nfl uniforms

San Diego

Watching the Steelers vs Denver game and got to thinking how boring the uniforms are. Both are kind of matte and ugly. The Steelers used to have shiny gold pants. No these dijon mustard style. These older sets look much better to me.

hines-ward-768.jpg

BMANGIN1035-426x575.jpg

Randy+Moss.jpg

Compared to this

derek-carr.jpg

2015-10-02T014703Z_1_MTZEBA2KI6F0N_RTRFI

What do you guys think? Or maybe I'm just blind.

UGa fans have been complaining about their silver britches being dull gray for a while now. Notre Dame has been khaki recently too. Not just a Nike thing I guess.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I think in certain situations it (shiny fabric) looks fine, but not when it's a jersey matched with non-shiny pants or vice versa. Also, i think only teams with that kind of sparkle material in their helmets (Ex: Patriots is the first on i can think of) should use it. I noticed this when the packers went to play @Washington a week ago. Here's their current road uniform:

Eddie+Lacy+Green+Bay+Packers+v+St+Louis+

Notice how the pants are that non-shiny Nike material and when paired with the shiny jersey/numbers, unnecessary amount of mesh, and inconsistent sleeve cuts (not to mention the screen printed stripes), it makes the entire uniform look cheap and high school-y. The Packers aren't the only ones with these problems, but there in the forefront of my mind because I was thinking the same thing as most of you guys.

Yeah, I generally prefer the shiny pants:

UCLA-USC looked like this:

2008-1206-USC-UCLA-007-RB-redblue1.JPG

which is much better than this (especially since UCLA now has shiny gold numbers):

1122_SPT_LDN-L-UCLA-USC-KB25.jpg

The worst is Notre Dame, who used to look like this:

1784456.jpg

and now looks like this:

usatsi_8070663.jpg

All the talk about making the helmet more gold to match the dome and then marching out in mustard yellow pants.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Just because something is shiny, doesn't mean it looks better. Like the cheesy shiny aerobics wear of the 80's, shiny fabric in athletic gear is just played out. Obviously the argument for shiny fabric for metallic colors could be made, but everything else is just fine. With the variety of bright colors we see in uniforms these days, I don't find any of it boring.

My feeling is that silver and gold are meant to be shiny, and probably should be, otherwise you just have grey and tan.

But pretty much any other color shouldn't.

This.

The Eagles are a good example of this. I thought their green looked atrocious in shiny reebok/ripon material and actually looks decent in the matte.

Yeah, I generally prefer the shiny pants:

UCLA-USC looked like this:

2008-1206-USC-UCLA-007-RB-redblue1.JPG

UCLA's shiny gold pants were awesome. Florida State was also a team who looked great in shiny gold pants.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

My feeling is that silver and gold are meant to be shiny, and probably should be, otherwise you just have grey and tan.

But pretty much any other color shouldn't.

This.

The Eagles are a good example of this. I thought their green looked atrocious in shiny reebok/ripon material and actually looks decent in the matte.

The Eagles' green is bad regardless of the fabric (though it looks great on their helmets.)

The newer fabrics are much less polyester, generally less mesh, generally less fabric that actually stretches.. Nike especially has gone with all these non-mesh materials, leaving mesh areas only where "breathability" is a concern (hence the Nike sweat boxes).. Adidas's TechFit material is unique because it's super stretchy, but not very jersey-like in terms of feel.. It almost feels like an extremely high quality sweater, but thinner.. It's tough to explain, but it's certainly the outlier of the group, but also is matte.. Their pants are almost a similar feel to traditional baseball pants, but somewhat stretchier, and are held up with a drawstring..

It all boils down to these companies trying to make something that's clearly different so they can market it as better.. It's tough to convince people that something's better if it looks exactly the same.

I agree with Down Under Husker in that only silver and gold pants should be shiny. Although I'm willing to except shiny pewter pants in the case of Tampa Bay only because it looked so good on their previous uniform set.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I agree with Down Under Husker in that only silver and gold pants should be shiny. Although I'm willing to except shiny pewter pants in the case of Tampa Bay only because it looked so good on their previous uniform set.

Plus, pewter is a metal, and shiny = metallic, so I'd expect them to be shiny.. Otherwise, you pretty much just have brown pants

Archived