Los Angeles Rams

aawagner011

Alright guys,

I figure this board is going to get slaughtered with an onset of LA Rams concepts, but I wanted to throw my attempt into the ring.

First, you'll notice the return to the classic yellow color, rather than the gold. I think this is a color the Rams can own in the league and it definitely gives it the old school vibe. The navy is retained instead of going straight back to the royal blue. My decision for this was that the Rams helmet looks great in its current navy application (the helmet looks good but the mismatch colors don't), and I cannot imagine it looking decent if they reverted to a royal lid. I also think the navy looked great when paired with the yellow Color Rush set (not the full banana aspect, just the mix of colors). So the colors are a compromise.

The sleeve horns are dropped. NFL sleeves are disappearing at an exponential rate and it clutters the design a bit. More traditional loops evoke the classic look, but in a more accommodating way. The Rams have done the loops plenty.

The yellow over white becomes the primary look. Like I said, I think they can own yellow and it's a fantastic look. This gives LA that "next generation" Rams look without going to an entirely new design. It still harkens back to the old days (the away design intentionally invokes the retro color balance, instead of the current inverted colors).

Lastly, you'll notice I kept the number font and changed the pants stripes. The number font is a perfectly fine look and the stripe is updated to be more cohesive with the helmet and loops.

1zn6ftl.png

This is about as close to perfection as you can get IMO. The one problem I'm having is the white pants being absent of yellow. I think if you found a way to integrate just a sliver of yellow into the white pants it would really top off the look as it would be more consistent with the color balance on the white jersey (regardless of whether or not the white pants would be worn with the white jersey), and it would tie the yellow jersey into the white pants a bit more. Otherwise I think it looks fantastic.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Nicely done aa...

I agree with you on the navy/yellow thing.

That Rams helmet design is a classic thing of beauty....Best helmet in football, IMO.

The more contrast on the brain-bucket the better, and the unis should match.

Really like what you did with the LA in the RA.

I appreciate the feedback, guys.

The "LA" in the "RAMS" is something I debated over. The "A" is a nice symmetrical shape and allowed the smaller "A" to be centered. The "R" is obviously not symmetrical and centering the "L" within it distorted the balance, so my best solution was to align the "L" along the vertical stem of the "R."

I was also uncertain about the white pants. I'm usually of the belief that not everything needs to include all colors (like the 49ers not including gold on the jersey), so I settled on the same design as the yellow pants. Which other designs would y'all like for the white?

I appreciate the feedback, guys.

The "LA" in the "RAMS" is something I debated over. The "A" is a nice symmetrical shape and allowed the smaller "A" to be centered. The "R" is obviously not symmetrical and centering the "L" within it distorted the balance, so my best solution was to align the "L" along the vertical stem of the "R."

I was also uncertain about the white pants. I'm usually of the belief that not everything needs to include all colors (like the 49ers not including gold on the jersey), so I settled on the same design as the yellow pants. Which other designs would y'all like for the white?

Ohhh... I see it now. I looked at the letters as a whole rectangular shape. You made it so the vertical of the L is the hole in the R, with the horizontal line just kind of being an extraneous line. It looks off to me, but symmetrical to you. It's just a matter in difference of how we see form and space.

I agree about every uniform not needing every color. Then again, I come from the New York market, where that happens all the time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMO, the Rams look best with two color schemes:

1. The "century" colors or whatever they're called (deep navy and a Vegas, "true" gold). One pair of pants and that pair is gold. No white pants, no blue pants, no stripe crap.

2. Michigan colors, which is basically what's been done here.

Not a fan of the royal-yellow or even the older royal-white look. I realize it's classic, but there are SOOOO many teams wearing blue in the NFL that the yellow is really needed, IMO, to differentiate the Rams a bit. It's like the Broncos' orange. Helps them stand out from the laundry list of Giants-Pats-Bills-Texans-everybody else.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

This is almost exactly the same as a concept I've been working on for the Rams. Great minds think alike, I guess.

It's great and I love the yellow jersey and single color numbers. My one gripe is minor but, maybe the Rams should leave the ram head as a primary behind? It's definitely a solid logo but it's very St. Louis Rams. Something new would be great IMO. Overall, it's great, though and I'd love to see the Rams wear this

Very nice. My only suggestion is to bring the sleeve horns back. I know you said that sleeves are getting too small for the design to work anymore, but Nike has found a way to make it work on today's smaller sleeves.

wmT0qhv.jpg

I did try to recreate this. I still think it's a very cramped design. It looks nice enough, but yet cluttered. Compare it to this shot of Eric Dickerson below. That design is very free and spacious and the design looks very intentional as a Ram horn. The Nike throwbacks kinda cram everything into a small sleeve cap and the effect just isn't the same. The loops were a compromise to get a similar effect but yet not so cluttered.

b-eric-dickerson-rb-la-rams-indianapolis

Rams fan since 1980....I love this look. Best Rams set I've seen. I agree with the sleeve horns, unfortunately....what a cool look, but sleeves are darn near muscle shirt length now. I wonder what shoulder numbers would look like (instead of sleeves)....might give you room for full horns.

Agree 100% on the navy blue...helmet and jersey need to match. (Don't wanna be the Cowboys within 18 silvers and 3 blues)

The one thing I liked about the old Rams blue-yellow set was the white names on the back of the jersey...kinda like the red numbers on Dodgers jerseys. Maybe add white to the yellow pants too?

Yellow on white is a cool look and nods at the 1950s look. Wonder what blue pants would look like with the yellow jersey.

Great job!

Archived