Rob Manfred: BLASPHEMER!

Mac the Knife

Nope.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14643947/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-says-no-foreseeable-change-designated-hitter-rule-coming

"The most likely result on the designated hitter for the foreseeable future is the status quo," Manfred said in an interview with ESPN.com in conjunction with his one-year anniversary as commissioner. "I think the vast majority of clubs in the National League want to stay where they are."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Almighty said:

But doesn't the pitchers use their arms enough as is it ? they have huge ice bags on them after games, and tommy john surgery is now more the norm then something rare. Not having the pitchers come to bat, would get them that more rest and in theory improve their pitching performance. Does that not sound like a pretty reasonable argument ?

That's it! Let's just platoon like football!

8 fielders that do nothing but field, 1 pitcher that does nothing but pitch, 9 batters that do nothing but bat. Not having the fielders come to bat would give them more rest and improve their fielding performance, not having the batters out in the field would give them more rest and improve their batting performance.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

Nope.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14643947/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-says-no-foreseeable-change-designated-hitter-rule-coming

"The most likely result on the designated hitter for the foreseeable future is the status quo," Manfred said in an interview with ESPN.com in conjunction with his one-year anniversary as commissioner. "I think the vast majority of clubs in the National League want to stay where they are."

"Manfred told ESPN he was merely discussing the pros and cons of a possible change and did not mean to create the impression that NL clubs want to adopt the DH."

Sounds like there was some 23rd hour pushback from either the fans or some owners. I'm much more inclined to believe that, than a commissioner saying I didn't know openly talking about the NL adopting the DH was going to start a :censored: storm.

20 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

"Manfred told ESPN he was merely discussing the pros and cons of a possible change and did not mean to create the impression that NL clubs want to adopt the DH."

Sounds like there was some 23rd hour pushback from either the fans or some owners. I'm much more inclined to believe that, than a commissioner saying I didn't know openly talking about the NL adopting the DH was going to start a :censored: storm.

You're probably right. But whatever slowed his roll I'm glad it did so. I was about ready to rate him lower than Selig on the commissioner suck list.

Pitchers shouldn't hit. They rarely hit in high school. They don't hit in college. They don't hit in the minors. NL is the only place where the pitchers hit consistently. A lot of the pitchers bunt if someone is on and there isn't 2 outs anyway. Most fans want to see offense. They don't want to see someone look like he got picked out of the crowd and try to hit a high fastball and swing at a slider in the dirt. I believe they would much rather have a capable hitter. Plus, pitchers are limited on their baserunning because they don't want to risk injury... I'm all for the DH. Let's get some runs!

28 minutes ago, dorshak said:

Pitchers shouldn't hit. They rarely hit in high school. They don't hit in college. They don't hit in the minors. NL is the only place where the pitchers hit consistently. A lot of the pitchers bunt if someone is on and there isn't 2 outs anyway. Most fans want to see offense. They don't want to see someone look like he got picked out of the crowd and try to hit a high fastball and swing at a slider in the dirt. I believe they would much rather have a capable hitter. Plus, pitchers are limited on their baserunning because they don't want to risk injury... I'm all for the DH. Let's get some runs!

I'm all for games that don't last 5 hours.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

i'm a braves fan and definitely prefer the nl-style of play but times have definitely changed.

teams aren't paying pitchers (in both leagues) to hit. those contracts and the value is in pitching.

the starting pitcher (because relievers barely ever hit anymore) is really the only player who is involved in every play of the game.

pitching is a much more taxing position to play everyday that a fielder which is why they pitch every 5 days or so.

i'm on the fence with it honestly.

46 minutes ago, dorshak said:

Solutions

Enforce that Pitchers need to hit in high school; in college, and in the minors.

ESPECIALLY in high school, players should all be hitting because they need to experience everything. Theyre still kids, and if pitching isnt for them then theyll need to pick up a bat.

Less in college, but I still hold the same idea.

Minors it still applies; but mostly here is the idea that pitchers will be good hitters, or at least better, if theyve just been hitting the whole time.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

13 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Solutions

Enforce that Pitchers need to hit in high school; in college, and in the minors.

How do you expect MLB to enforce something upon high schools?

Even if the chances of a pitcher getting hurt batting or running the bases is tiny, the incidents of it happening stick out to everybody. And when it does happen, people get pissed. Football has made loads of new rules to protect QBs because we had high priced stars go down with injuries. Tom Brady missed a season due to a clean hit, and now a defender on the ground has to stand up straight and count "one one-thousand" before going at a QB. We've seen a few star pitchers suffer injuries at the plate, and that puts everybody up in arms similarly. Fans are a pissed and owners are pissed that the guy they just paid over $100 million for is out due to an injury stemming from something outside of what he's paid to do.

While high school players aren't getting paid (I know), it's still a big deal. Coaches and leagues don't want to take risks of their stars getting freak injuries batting, and the parents also don't want to chance their kids' draft futures if it's perceived to be an additional risk to bat. So whether it's justified or not, things aren't changing.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Just now, TheOldRoman said:

How do you expect MLB to enforce something upon high schools?

Even if the chances of a pitcher getting hurt batting or running the bases is tiny, the incidents of it happening stick out to everybody. And when it does happen, people get pissed. Football has made loads of new rules to protect QBs because we had high priced stars go down with injuries. Tom Brady missed a season due to a clean hit, and now a defender on the ground has to stand up straight and count "one one-thousand" before going at a QB. We've seen a few star pitchers suffer injuries at the plate, and that puts everybody up in arms similarly. Fans are a pissed and owners are pissed that the guy they just paid over $100 million for is out due to an injury stemming from something outside of what he's paid to do.

While high school players aren't getting paid (I know), it's still a big deal. Coaches and leagues don't want to take risks of their stars getting freak injuries batting, and the parents of these kids also don't want their kids batting if it's perceived to be an additional risk. So whether it's justified or not, things aren't changing.

I will admit that enforce was the wrong word to use.

High school players though, we keep forgetting, are still kids. Kids should be having fun and doing everything, rather than specializing.

I mourn for the death of the multisport athlete, or the athlete that also is in band, or musical and baseball.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

13 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

High school players though, we keep forgetting, are still kids. Kids should be having fun and doing everything, rather than specializing.

I mourn for the death of the multisport athlete, or the athlete that also is in band, or musical and baseball.

I agree with that. Especially since around 99% of these kids won't see the minor leagues. But there's still a lot of parents who think their kid will get drafted no matter what. Hell, you have crazy parents at games for 8-year olds.

When I played football in high school, almost all the starters played both ways. Literally 8 or 9 kids played every snap on both offense and defense until we were up by 3 TD. And this went on at the sophomore level, which was the highest level I played. This was a level that had no playoff, and they still wouldn't play 80% of the team until the game was decided. I had no delusions of playing in the NFL, but after only seeing the field 4 times in a season, I decided it wasn't fun standing on the sidelines anymore. That's the opposite of specializing, but it's still focusing on winning at all costs and making the game not fun for kids.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

16 minutes ago, TheOldRoman said:

I agree with that. Especially since around 99% of these kids won't see the minor leagues. But there's still a lot of parents who think their kid will get drafted no matter what. Hell, you have crazy parents at games for 8-year olds.

When I played football in high school, almost all the starters played both ways. Literally 8 or 9 kids played every snap on both offense and defense until we were up by 3 TD. And this went on at the sophomore level, which was the highest level I played. This was a level that had no playoff, and they still wouldn't play 80% of the team until the game was decided. I had no delusions of playing in the NFL, but after only seeing the field 4 times in a season, I decided it wasn't fun standing on the sidelines anymore. That's the opposite of specializing, but it's still focusing on winning at all costs and making the game not fun for kids.

That's because HS Football has limited rosters. And just because they might have 40-50 guys standing on the sideline who want to be 'part of the team' aren't really capable of playing. A kid playing both ways tends to be a better option than some of the benchwarmers.

But, if a kid gets recruited as a QB, you can guarantee he'll never play a down on defense in college. Zach Collaros went to Steubenville (OH) HS. He was  QB and played DB (safety or CB, it altered). Also played baseball, and only wanted to go to a school that would let him play both sports. He wound up at Cincinnati and due to a injury, found himself on ESPN in his first game. Did great, and went on to start for them most of the rest of his career. Didn't get drafted, but got a few looks before being signed by Toronto (CFL) and started again after an injury. Now is the starting QB for Hamilton. Hadn't played a defensive position since HS.

Why would we expect pitchers to bat once they're a professional? They're paid to pitch. You wouldn't expect a restaurant chef to clear tables, would you?

27 minutes ago, cmm said:

High school pitchers often hit because they're generally the best athletes and play other positions when they aren't pitching.

I disagree. Teams from bigger schools will have more specialization. A smaller town or school will have less talented players, therefore they need that pitcher to be more versatile. Most pitchers in high school are usually not that athletic, which is part of the reason they don't play in the field or hit.

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

I will admit that enforce was the wrong word to use.

Part of the problem is that practice times are increasing for extracurricular activities. The overlap is tough to manage.

26 minutes ago, dorshak said:

I disagree. Teams from bigger schools will have more specialization. A smaller town or school will have less talented players, therefore they need that pitcher to be more versatile. Most pitchers in high school are usually not that athletic, which is part of the reason they don't play in the field or hit.

This is the MaxPreps #1 ranked high school baseball team for 2015 (granted, I don't know how prestigious that ranking is):

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/parkview-panthers-(lilburn,ga)/baseball-spring-15/roster.htm

Most of the pitchers play another position.

This is the #2 team, all of the pitchers play another position.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/canyon-del-oro-dorados-(tucson,az)/baseball-spring-15/roster.htm

Ditto the #3 team.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/oxford-chargers-(oxford,ms)/baseball-spring-15/roster.htm

Seems like many big, talent-rich schools often have their pitchers bat to me (the #4 team didn't, but the #5 team did).

19 minutes ago, cmm said:

This is the MaxPreps #1 ranked high school baseball team for 2015 (granted, I don't know how prestigious that ranking is):

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/parkview-panthers-(lilburn,ga)/baseball-spring-15/roster.htm

Most of the pitchers play another position.

This is the #2 team, all of the pitchers play another position.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/canyon-del-oro-dorados-(tucson,az)/baseball-spring-15/roster.htm

Ditto the #3 team.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/oxford-chargers-(oxford,ms)/baseball-spring-15/roster.htm

Seems like many big, talent-rich schools often have their pitchers bat to me (the #4 team didn't, but the #5 team did).

I have no doubt they can play another position, but you can only play so many guys at a time. If you have 5 pitchers who also play first base, are they switching out every other inning? Those rosters are kind of misleading. Just because the top teams have pitchers who play another position does not mean the majority of high schools have pitchers that are also skilled position players. Just because one is listed at a position, doesn't mean they're successful or useful at a position. The above teams are a very small sample of players and schools. Those schools are considered elite teams, with highly talented players, which does not compare to your standard high school baseball team who rarely has more than a handful of truly skilled athletes.

http://sabr.org/research/pitchers-field-use-pitchers-other-positions-major-leagues-1969-2009

In modern Major League Baseball, the separation of roles between the pitcher and other fielders is quite strict. They are two different breeds of athletes. They train differently, are paid on different scales, and never the twain shall meet. Yet in Little League, high school, and college ball, the separation is not so strict: the best athletes are normally used as pitchers, and these are also the top sluggers. They will sometimes play the more demanding positions, such as shortstop or center field, when not on the mound. However, because pitchers are often very tall, or left-handed, it may limit their ability to play certain positions, so they will gravitate towards the role of first baseman or designated hitter when not pitching.

1 hour ago, dorshak said:

complete opposite from my experience of high school baseball at a bigger school. All of our best athletes were pitchers. Most of them swung the bat in games they were pitching in. We used the DH more for light hitting, but solid fielders like me.

My coach told me the best hitter he ever coached at the high school level was major league pitcher Kent Mercker.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived