USFL Redesign: Michigan Panthers and Expansion Talk (6/8)

razr32154

The USFL is Back!

USFL-main-logo.png

New York, New York – The USFL has announced it will begin operation for the first time in over 30 years this summer. The league has found a group of 8 investors and 8 teams will begin playing in the summer of 2016. The 8 teams will be broken into two divisions, North and South. In the North division are the Boston Breakers, Michigan Panthers, New Jersey Generals, and Pittsburgh Maulers. In the South Division are the Birmingham Stallions, Houston Gamblers, Jacksonville Bulls, and Oklahoma Outlaws. In its press release, the league also detailed its for expansion. The league plans to expand slowly – from 8 teams in 2016, to 12 by 2020 and to 16 by 2024. 

Some other notes about the league: Nike will be the exclusive on-field apparel supplier of the USFL, proving one helmet and two uniforms for each team. There are plans to expand uniform restrictions in the near future. 

North: Boston Breakers • Michigan Panthers • New Jersey GeneralsPittsburgh Maulers | South: Birmingham Stallions • Houston Gamblers • Jacksonville Bulls • Washington Federals -

List of Possible expansion locations. 

----------------------------

Buffalo 

Columbus

Las Vegas 

Memphis 

Milwaukee

Portland

Rochester

San Jose

----------------------------

The New Jersey Generals are the first team to announce their redesigned logo and uniforms. 

*Update 1

17e85b45-617d-47db-80f7-b96e542e7b2e.png

Home 

1403de93-398c-42ab-ac81-a04580888b9f.png

Road 

89023fee-d902-45e1-a344-91a4c5c4678c.png

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, aerodynamix said:

I love the look, but the general has a close resemblance to ole Joe Stalin. 

Pretty much what I was thinking. I'd go with a Teddy Roosevelt, even though he was only a colonel. It'd tie in to his relationship as a senator from New York. As far as the undershirt, I'd set it apart from the jersey. It just doesn't seem to work where it is right now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Hey all, appreciate the C&C! 

As far as the Stalin-vibe you guys are getting from this, you are spot on – it was influenced heavily by Soviet Propaganda pieces. When I first set out on this logo, I thought about going two directions: having a Soviet-feeling brand or go along the lines of a US Army General. Ultimately, I went with the Stalinized route though. It seems like the consensus is to go other direction though. 

Any other thoughts on these uniforms or this identity? 

But... didn't Stalin go undefeated in regular season play? ;)

Okay, kidding aside the color scheme does instantly make it way too Soviet-era communism.  Even dropping the mustache would help, or a set of glasses or something.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Guest darkpiranha
4 hours ago, razr32154 said:

Hey all, appreciate the C&C! 

As far as the Stalin-vibe you guys are getting from this, you are spot on – it was influenced heavily by Soviet Propaganda pieces. When I first set out on this logo, I thought about going two directions: having a Soviet-feeling brand or go along the lines of a US Army General. Ultimately, I went with the Stalinized route though. It seems like the consensus is to go other direction though. 

Any other thoughts on these uniforms or this identity? 

I kinda love the Stalin/Soviet vibe.  If you're being strictly serious about your redesign, it probably won't fly, but I think it's a fascinating take.  If you stay with this, though, then you almost HAVE to do the rest of your redesign in a similarly subversive way.  Not necessarily other nations, but slightly different than the expectation.  But because this is the USFL, I think it's extra subversive that it's a non-US general.  What are some alternate Stars that aren't associated with America?  

It's the red eyeballs that are the issue for me.  Makes him look like he isn't human....  Make those white and the logo improves quite a bit.  Then whether you keep Stalin or not is another discussion (I don't really have much of an opinion on that; I can see it both ways).

award%20sig.png

I like the Stalin logo and Soviet colors (they're the first things I think of when i think of Jersey) but seriously though they look cool and very original but being in the UNITED STATES FOOTBALL LEAGUE, I feel like it doesn't fit with the league name (It would be like the Canadians playing the baseball American League)  So if you just do what they (previous posters) have already recommended you do it'll be damn near perfect.  Nice work overall though

29uxdh0.png

Thanks again for the C&C guys – I see everyone's point on this. I'm still undecided on whether I will leave the Stalinized generals logo or move in the other direction, so I'm gonna put that decision on the back burner. Maybe I'll throw up a poll to gauge opinion. I should have the Washington Federals up in a little while. 

Might be worth looking at using a complation or mixture of Norman Schwarzkopf Sr and Norman Schwarzkoph Jr. for the image of a general. They both were Generals in the US Army and both were born in New Jersey. Schwarzkoph Sr. was the 1st superintendent of the New Jersey State Police as well being involved in the investigation of the Lindburgh kidnapping.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

@eick74 I did not know about that – I'll check that out. thanks. 

Team #2: Washington Federals

First, you'll notice that I've changed my presentation style – c&c is always welcome on that too. 

For the federals, I wanted to keep with their eagle-themed logo that they had as a part of the original USFL. I also wanted to maintain the sense of motion that I felt the original logo had. The wordmark incorporates the DC Flag. As for uniforms, the home uniform is Black/Green/Gold with Gold numerals outlined in black. The gold Sleeve striping also takes its design from the DC flag. The road uniform is Black/White/Black with Green numerals outlined in Gold, as well as green sleeve striping. The helmet striping is two tapered gold stripes. 

Federals%20Export%20.png

Home Uniform

Federals%20Home%20Uniform.png

Road Uniform

Federals%20road%20uniform%20redo.png

Archived