Alternate Super Bowl Logos

Sykotyk

There was a post just closed rather quickly regarding 'unused' logos. Though a few examples given by OP were fan-made, there was one that was authentic. That being the Super Bowl XXXVI logo that was redone with the red/white/blue US outline logo.

However, it got me thinking about the NFL's current run of Lombardi Trophy logos and how they seem to be unable to stop themselves from adding other logos, even if fancy wordmark logos on SuperBowl.com or other media.

35a9pib.png

super-bowl-xlvii_zps7401529d.jpg

Super-Bowl-48-logo_zpsb331e482.jpg

xlix.jpg

Though minimalistic, in most senses, they still are logos designed by someone within or connected to NFL using them for their website. Which, means the NFL themselves admit their logos aren't exactly stellar.

Just as the NFL is insistent this season on declaring the first "Super Bowl" by the name "Super Bowl I" etc, it would be possible for the NFL to retcon these logos into place as they were used entirely during the leadup to such games. Even if they aren't on the field, program, or ticket. They were made for a reason. And that reason should be the reason why we escape this boredom that is the Super Bowl logo.

I'm almost expecting next year that the NFL just drops the numbers. No other sports league numbers their titles. You couldn't tell without mathematics or are particularly anal about it what World Series the Braves-Yankees was in the mid-90s. But, I can tell you Broncos-Giants was Super Bowl XXI long before I could tell you what year it was.

I fully expect the NFL to continue with numbers. Yes it's non-traditional in the sports sense but it's the NFL. With that being said I doubt that they will use roman-numerals for a few years seeing as L is not very easy to use. I could see them using Arabic numbers and then possibly going back to roman numerals when it returns to LV or LX.

They are going back next year. I've already seen a "win tickets to Super Bowl LI" ad somewhere (NFL.com I think). But there is no way they will stick with the current format for a long period of time. Reasoning below ...

88_stupid.thumb.png.a69ca3c8bb6977b1baa3

There is just no way to make 88 look anything other than absurdly funny

I bet at some point they start putting way more emphasis on the word SUPER BOWL with the roman numerals way smaller .. so they will have to change up the logo template.  But I see no reason to move away from Roman Numerals .. i dont think LXXXVIII looks funny at all - thats just how it is.   Its like if they went with years and said Super Bowl 2053 looked funny.    itsa number -- not the most design friendly, well balanced number like Super Bowl 3000 would be    but it is what it is.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

15 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

They are going back next year. I've already seen a "win tickets to Super Bowl LI" ad somewhere (NFL.com I think). But there is no way they will stick with the current format for a long period of time. Reasoning below ...

88_stupid.thumb.png.a69ca3c8bb6977b1baa3

There is just no way to make 88 look anything other than absurdly funny

That's just funny...and oddly unsettling....

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

56 minutes ago, goforbroke said:

I bet at some point they start putting way more emphasis on the word SUPER BOWL with the roman numerals way smaller .. so they will have to change up the logo template.  But I see no reason to move away from Roman Numerals .. i dont think LXXXVIII looks funny at all - thats just how it is.   Its like if they went with years and said Super Bowl 2053 looked funny.    itsa number -- not the most design friendly, well balanced number like Super Bowl 3000 would be    but it is what it is.

I strongly agree. I could even see future logos ditching the number altogether and simply branding as "The Super Bowl."

1 minute ago, C-Squared said:

I strongly agree. I could even see future logos ditching the number altogether and simply branding as "The Super Bowl."

If they did that, then they'd have to start using the year.  But that is a problem, because of the simple fact that the game takes place in the following calendar year, so the winner of the 2016 Super Bowl earns a team the championship of the 2015 season.

It would be possible to start referring to the seasons as hyphenated, as they do in basketball and hockey.  But that would apply only as far back as the mid-1960, when the championship games started to push into January; so the 1964 season would be followed by the 1965-66 season.  Too cumbersome.

The upshot of this is that we are likely to see the Super Bowls identified by number indefinitely.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

If they did that, then they'd have to start using the year.  But that is a problem, because of the simple fact that the game takes place in the following calendar year, so the winner of the 2016 Super Bowl earns a team the championship of the 2015 season.

It would be possible to start referring to the seasons as hyphenated, as they do in basketball and hockey.  But that would apply only as far back as the mid-1960, when the championship games started to push into January; so the 1964 season would be followed by the 1965-66 season.  Too cumbersome.

The upshot of this is that we are likely to see the Super Bowls identified by number indefinitely.

College football does it, though. They even had "2016" patches on the teams uniforms for the national championship game, despite it determining the national championship for the 2015 season.

They're not dropping the policy of numbering the Super Bowl. They'll just follow WrestleMania's example and switch between Arabic and Roman numerals based on which one is more aesthetically pleasing for any given year.

I absolutely love the Roman Numerals. It's one of those things thats like, do they need them? No, because we still say "Super Bowl 45" not "Ex EL VEE." But does it add a certain feel to the games that just is completely awesome? Yes. It gives the game a bigger feel almost. I'm not sure why, but it just feels more important. Hope they never get rid of them

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

They're not dropping the policy of numbering the Super Bowl. They'll just follow WrestleMania's example and switch between Arabic and Roman numerals based on which one is more aesthetically pleasing for any given year.

WWE has actually dropped having any sort of numerals on WrestleMania the past two years. Last year, there was a "play button" where you would expect a 31/XXXI. This year, it's a star, in reference to the Cowboys.

Archived