REDESIGNING the NBA - NEW LOGOS FOR ALL 30 TEAMS

mattharveysc

Hello, 

Allow me to introduce myself first, my name is Matt.

I know i've been pretty silent with posting comments, critiques, questions, etc. but I hope to be more vocal, and hope to get some critiques from all of you in hopes that it will help me become a better designer. You have all helped me with designs, and I want to return the favor.

So, after months of designing and coming up with many concepts, i'd like to show to you all my concepts for redesigning the NBA. 

I have included:

- New Conference logos

- New Playoff and Finals logos

- New logos for all 30 NBA teams

All NBA logos that I redesigned are originals, except a few you will see are ones where I made alterations that I feel would make the primary marks stronger. 

I hope that you will take a look and give me any feedback on how I can improve on these designs. I'd love to hear from you on what your Top 5 and Bottom 5 logos are as well.

If you have any questions, comments, etc. please shoot me a message.

Thanks everyone,

Matt

My Portfolio work

( If that link doesn't work, you can go to my personal website: mwhstudios.com )

Wow. They're incredible. I have some time so here's me feedback on some of the knees I feel could be improved. Keep in mind these are all nitpicks...not full changes....

Bulls - Needs black. It looks great but it needs black.

Cavaliers - I think the logo needs more white if the C has some. I think the Cavaliers script could be white.

Warriors - It needs....more. It's too empty with just the SF there. It's good, though.

Pacers - I really like this! My only notice is the state outline is a bit...random?

Grizzlies - Maybe add some yellow highlights on the bear to make it more defined...

Pelicans - Seems a bit busy to me, all the feather details and such. Maybe smooth it out and it'd be perfect.

Thunder - It's solid and is a great update but it seems like more of a painting than a logo. Make it more fierce but smoothing out some lines and I think that would improve the look.

Spurs - I don't think you need the state there....it'd be good without it.

Everything else is amazing! Great work!

I hate to be that guy that completelyarrow-10x10.png disses your thread after lots of positive feedback. Trust me I know, but a lot of these look very soccer-ish to me and the only ones that I really love 100% were my Hornets, the Bulls, Clippers and the Kings. Of course it's always a good thread when your favorite team is one of the ones you like. But what do I know, I don't even watch soccer.

1 hour ago, mattharveysc said:

All NBA logos that I redesigned are originals, except a few you will see are ones where I made alterations that I feel would make the primary marks stronger.

i would be sure give ben barnes a little credit for the bulls logo.

https://dribbble.com/shots/529450-Utah-State-Aggies-Proposed-2008-Logo

1 minute ago, Derek said:

i would be sure give ben barnes a little credit for the bulls logo.

https://dribbble.com/shots/529450-Utah-State-Aggies-Proposed-2008-Logo

Woah... I did not realize that Ben made that design. I remember seeing a design like that a long time ago, but I couldn't remember where I saw that. I must have made my "Bulls" logo with those elements out of my subconscious.  Thank you for the heads up.  I'll go change mine up. I'll be sure to give him credit though. 

Thanks again.

55 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The Bulls one had me salivating, and the rest are all pretty solid logos.

I wanna see your jersey ideas now.

Thank you. I just realized my "Bulls" looks almost identical to a design I saw in the years past. I didn't know it was so close. I'm going to redo my bulls go.

Anyways, I am working on some uniforms, which will be unveiled in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your looking at my designs. I appreciate it. 

Am I the only one that can only see the Major League logo in the Jazz?

f4b59d878835a35d72ebe156e8e29668.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 4.46.20 PM.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

UPDATE:  

CHICAGO BULLS IS NOW UPDATED.

I didn't realize my "Bulls" mockup was so close to one already drawn up from another designer, Ben Barnes. I have taken my version down and updated it with another version that I have done.  I hope you like the new version.

Thank you all for keeping me on my toes. I appreciate.

Here is the page with the updated versions of the logos.

PORTFOLIO

Holy cow these are amazing!!!!!!!!

Top 5.

1. Dallas

2. Detroit

3. LAC

4. San Antonio

5. Toronto

Receiving votes

Utah

New Orleans

Minnesota

The only thing I would change is that it seems like you add state silhouettes a little too much. I like the idea but seems like you have too many. On the suns, keep everything but take out the Arizona state border. Great job overall

You've got some really good marks here - but many of them are more soccer crests. This isnt saying that these are bad, but I feel like you could do better. Denver, in particular, is almost exactly the Colorado MLS teams crest. If you push yourself to do something new and iconic for the "crested" teams, this whole package would be a knockout.

I haven't see you around these board before - but if you keep bringin quality and presentation like this? You won't have that problem for much longer from anybody. Great work.

this is better than the average work that comes through the boards here. i think you have some really great ideas and could see quite a few being secondary logos almost right away. Orlando, Utah, and DC stand out to me as the best of the bunch. though there are some slight flaws in some of the execution, i'll assume thats just you being a young designer. you'll iron most of that stuff out as you progress. the only real mistake i see is that the Warriors play in Oakland, not SF right?. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

No offense, but why don't you try the GS instead of SF on Golden State's and put San Francisco across the bottom

Many of you have brought good questions to mind. I'll give you a little background on some of my design decisions. 

I'm a designer who really feels that you must design for the audience, and what will really connect.

For some of the logos that feel like a "soccer" crest. That is intentional. 

In the NFL, and most of the NHL, you see logos that don't really have must text applied with the main logo. I've tried to accomplish the same effect with most of these logos. There were some I feel that still needed text. I wanted to see if I combine a strong symbol/soccer crest/nba style logo into one logo.

Here is a little background on each NBA logo and why I did what I did.

Atlanta Hawks: Wanted to stay true to the classic look and feel yet give the hawk a little more aggressive look and one that feels like the hawk is looking over/protecting the city.

Boston Celtics: Honestly, I wanted to try something totally different.

Brooklyn Nets: Stay true to Brooklyn. I kept the shield from the current logo, but really wanted the bridge, as a way of tying Brooklyn to New York City.

Charlotte Hornets: I wanted to put a modern twist on one of the old original Hornets logos that lasted only one season.

Chicago Bulls: Tried to update a classic. It's difficult.

Cleveland Cavaliers: I love the current color scheme but I feel Cleveland needs to stick to the "Wine & gold" scheme. I really wanted to keep this mark really simple.

Dallas Mavericks: Put a modern twist on a classic. ( I may change this one too. Still looking at other options I did.)

Denver Nuggets: I wanted to combine the shield of the Colorado Rapids in this one. Honestly, I think Denver is a city that could find a design element for all their professional sports teams and use it across the board. That is what I went into with Nuggets. 

Detroit Pistons: Wanted to show a classic grill for a classic team with a classic name. ( I still may change this one too)

Golden State Warriors: Reason for "SF", is i'm honestly just preparing for when the team goes to San Francisco. That is all.

Houston Rockets: I wanted to use a design of a rocket shape patch, and use the classic rocket scheme.

Indiana Pacers: Update a modern look and really tie in what makes Indiana great.

Los Angeles Clippers: I had to do something to fix that horrible mess that they have made.

Los Angeles Lakers: I combined the letter type of the old MLPS Lakers, and the ball of the current Lakers logo. Tried to stay true to history and tradition.

Memphis Grizzlies: (one of my projects on my website, Seattle Kodiaks, that logo was supposed to be used for Memphis). This was a difficult one to come up with. Stay true to the "memphis blues".

Miami Heat: Most difficult one to complete. I know soccer is huge down there so I tried combining a soccer style logo with an NBA twist.

Milwaukee Bucks: Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of their new logo (love the uniforms though). I just tried to put what my version would be.

Minnesota Timberwolves: Put a modern twist on a classic. 

New Orleans Pelicans: I really wanted to incorporate the "Pelicans" name, and I hoped by using the fluer-dis-lee I could show it's New Orleans team.

New York Knicks: A badge of the NYPD, the empire state building, and basketball.... Screams I am a KNICK!

Oklahoma City Thunder: Thundering herds of buffaloes yet put a Native American tie to it.

Orlando Magic: Tried combine the sight of Magic into a logo. 

Philadelphia 76ers: Show my own version.

Phoenix Suns: Wanted to show a "phoenix" bird that covers all of the state of Arizona.

Portland TrailBlazers: Yes, I tried combine as well another MLS look into this logo. I know the pinwheel logo is a classic, so I tried to use "5 lines" on both sides of the axe to try to give the same type of feel.

Sacramento Kings: Incorporate a crown in the game of basketball.

San Antonio Spurs: A twist and view of a classic spur.

Toronto Raptors: I miss the old ball/claw logo. It was perfect. So I wanted to keep the claws, along with the leaf to really show that the Raptors are not only Toronto's team, but Canada's team as well.

Utah Jazz: I live and breathe the Jazz (season ticket holder as well). This one, honestly I just wanted to do something with music, and a new style of note for the team.

Washington Wizards: Show the monument as part of DC, and incorporate the Nations Capital. 

I know that this may not be enough explanation on each team, but it gives you an idea of what I was thinking when wanting to make certain design decisions.

Thank you all for your suggestions and critiques.  I'll take some of your suggestions and see how or if I can apply them to my designs.

Thank you all again. If you have any questions, please feel free to write me a message.

Archived